Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151287 11/30/05 12:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A friend mentioned the other day that s/he'd received an unwanted PM from a trouble-maker. This friend's solution was to turn off PMs on their [sic] home page. I'm wondering, though -- still not totally familiar with the new software here -- if our friend put just the sender on "Ignore," wouldn't that be better than disabling all PMs? Does the "Ignore" functon also apply to PMs?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
good question. there isn't anything specific to that in the FAQS, but I haven't checked the ubb site faqs. might be a place to start. it would be nice if Ignore did apply to PMs. much better than a blanket PM on or off.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Anna? Post here when you've read this so I'll know; why don't you put me on Ignore, and then I'll try sending you a PM? If you want.

P.S.--checked your e-mail lately?

M
M
wow!!! unwanted private messages....unlucky me here doesnt recieve any messages,wanted or unwanted..isnt that sad now!!!

T
veteran
veteran
T
The "ignore" function: Both public and private.

This is what I think.

The "ignore" function can be a useful device in preventing personality conflicts from distracting us away from the common bond around here, which is in general, an impenitent love of words.

But putting someone on your "ignore" list without telling the person that he is being ignored is cowardly and rude.

So be a man...list your ignored people; so if he or she wishes, he or she can ignore in kind.

User traffic seems to be picking up around here, but still I don't think that a small but growing board can stand too much ignoring.

Last edited by themilum; 11/30/05 09:25 PM.
#151292 11/30/05 11:01 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
hmm, interesting view - I must say I thought that when sjmaxq made a song and dance about ignoring you the other day that itself seemed rude to me. I put it down to him having fallen out of bed, having to sleep on his head as he does.

I am a bit uncomforatable about the function at all, but accept what you suggest about "a useful device in preventing personality conflicts from distracting us". I certainly agree with you about the latter point Milo - it needs using with some care if a small community is to maintain enough communal bonds to make it interesting. Let's stay relaxed, guys and guizes.

I suspect the wonderfully strophic one was irked by a more malignant enema of the peep-hole.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Anna? Post here when you've read this so I'll know; why don't you put me on Ignore, and then I'll try sending you a PM? If you want.

P.S.--checked your e-mail lately?

Jackie, but what if we can't unstick it?*

Pls use my new E-mail addy; for the moment I can't figure out how to access the old one.

----
*remembering what my mom said when I used to think crossing my eyes was funny

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have put one person on ignore, regretting having to do it at all but I'm sorry, the posts simply drive me up the wall (speaking of what is humor to one person being anathema to another), and I'm sure I remember seeing the option to, um, pay attention to them again. (Well, something like that, anyway.)
If anyone wants to ask, ok by PM; I'm just not going to post it, is all.
I'll try to LU your new address; I was in a hurry this time and just used the first one on my list; sorry.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No fair to tease us thatta way, Jackie!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I'm sure I remember seeing the option to, um, pay attention to them again.

Yup. It's Stop ignoring this user

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith