Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

Sheesh--WAY too bogged down in minutiae for me! Both Joyce and the folks you quoted, HL. However, I did enjoy your "mote juste".

mot schmo.

P.S.

Homeric parallels in Ulysses are not "minutiae".

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I have no literary support for this, but I believe I can offer insight into what arruginated means. The word "ruga" or its more common plural form "rugae" means in medicine "an anatomical fold or wrinkle especially of the viscera." The lining of the stomach is full of little ridges called rugae. http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/stomach/anatomy.html

The word's relation to the more commonly-encountered "corrugated" should be obvious to this community. I believe that Joyce was describing the appearance of an old-fashioned key, which would have had teeth that were cut in a series of ridges or rugae, with "arruginated" being to rugae as "irradiated" is to radiation.

http://thehouseofabalone.com/skeletonkeys.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/key
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/objects/314821_skeleton_key.php?id=314821

Last edited by Alex Williams; 12/02/05 08:53 PM.
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Great post, Alex.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

The word "ruga" or its more common plural form "rugae" means in medicine "an anatomical fold or wrinkle especially of the viscera." The lining of the stomach is full of little ridges called rugae. I believe that Joyce was describing the appearance of an old-fashioned key, which would have had teeth that were cut in a series of ridges or rugae, with "arruginated" being to rugae as "irradiated" is to radiation.

Very interesting. You've thrown a whole new light on the offending word.

A certain Joyce on-line read-through community I sought for help had settled on a glorified "scraped"

Quote:

rugine
\Ru"gine\, v. t. [F. ruginer to scrape.] To scrape or rasp, as a bone;
to scale. [R.] --Wiseman.

rugine
\Ru"gine\, n. [F.] (Surg.) An instrument for scraping the periosteum
from bones; a raspatory.

But I think a key with "rugae" would make more sense here.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

And trying to make Joyce make sense serves us how, exactly?

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am reminded of a tale Isaac Asimov told of the time he was sitting in on a college English class on science fiction. The professor spent a long time lecturing on the meaning of a certain Asimov story. Asimov came up to him after the class, introduced himself, and said that he never meant any of that. The professor went through the obligatory thank-yous for coming to the class and how much he admired Dr. Asimov and then said, "But just because you wrote the story, what makes you think you have any idea what it's about?"

I was never sure whether Asimov was telling the story on the professor or on himself.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Quote:

No comment.

Quote:

I am reminded of a tale Isaac Asimov told of the time he was sitting in on a college English class on science fiction. The professor spent a long time lecturing on the meaning of a certain Asimov story. Asimov came up to him after the class, introduced himself, and said that he never meant any of that. The professor went through the obligatory thank-yous for coming to the class and how much he admired Dr. Asimov and then said, "But just because you wrote the story, what makes you think you have any idea what it's about?"

I was never sure whether Asimov was telling the story on the professor or on himself.

James Joyce: "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

No comment.

Quote:

James Joyce: "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."

Quote:

formerly known as etaoin...
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Trying to run downt Joyce is so very silly. He is one of the most important writers of the modernist movement. Even the dictionary will tell you that. And unlike the hack blurb-authors of dust-jacket hyperbole, lexicographers don't throw superlatives at writers willy-nilly.

At the risk of offending some of you, I have to say that you are only making yourselves look stupid.

Now who was it said "it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt" ?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

"it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Some of us, on the other hand, proclaim it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith