Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Jackie thank you

Anyhow there's no hurry about it. If I'm not exactly sure how many pages back I need to get, I have learned to scroll up to "Main Index" link as some have suggested. However, this move has the disadvantage of deleting the highlight from the General Topic column and so now I don't remember which one I was using and to relocate myself by trying them all one at a time

Therefore I usually simply click on the green circle "Back" til I'm where I want to go, notwithstanding ten or fifteen occurrences of "This page has expired"

Just another little housekeeping thing, and as I said, no rush, and may Bill Gates bless AWAD; and please give my best regards to Anu

I don't remember seeing this handle. does he contribute as well as run the algorithm

Excuse any typos as I'm hurrying to finish this followup before time out and the algorithm summarily deletes it

Oh, that's another problem that might well be looked into

dalehileman
#150568 01/08/06 08:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dale, I'll answer this here, rather than in any of the other similar threads you've posted about the forums.

Anu spends almost no time here at all, and certainly not on a regular basis. he set up the forums, using commercial forumware, and then has basically left it to run on the energy of the posters, a group of about forty or fifty that post here regularly (some of us many times a day!). though Jackie is a Moderator, she wears that mantle very reluctantly, and uses her power very sparingly. (and I think wisely) there have been times of conflict, some great, some small, as in any community, but they have been weathered, and some have left, and some stayed, and new people come and go.
if there was a Moderator who cared to, yes, the forum categories and headings could be re-arranged, and culled, and combined, and posts deleted, and posters banned, and on and on. but that's not the way of it here. as far as I know, only two posters have been banned over the life of this board, and though some are brilliant, and others irritating, and others enjoying word play, and still others etymology, and others who knows, something as obscure as punnery, the board goes on, and we have come to feel very comfortable here, and to deal with all of the paradoxes, and rough edges, and torn fabric of a favorite chair.
so now I'm getting poetic, so I'll stop, but settle in and enjoy this place for whatever it is, messy floors and all...

formerly known as etaoin...
#150569 01/09/06 04:33 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Eta thank you for that. Thanks too for the synonym "board" for "forum" (?) Yes, this is comparatively a very tolerant crowd and yes, AWAD is a very fine board indeed

At another site a blogger submitted a followup accusing me of "persiflage." But then in a later thread, when I referred to myself as possessing that very quality, I was summarily attacked by another contributor for using obscure language

At still another, I believe it is a site called "The Mutual Recrimination Society," I was unmercifully dragged across the coals for using the terms "onshore" and "offshore," referring to leftponders v right, on the basis that it might confuse the latter, who presumably have co-opted the more equivocal terms

At a third, I contibuted many suggestions for improving the algorithm, without realizing that this site didn't use commercial software but a complex system devised by the Admin himself. So he, who himself lived in and with the forum, interpreted them as criticism and struck out at me in no uncertain terms. There's a moral here; find out who built the site before offering suggestions or improvements

In any forum there is hard core of critics who will attack you for almost anything. Fortunately they don't exercise much control over AWAD

Tho I expect to be roundly criticized for using the term "Admin" for softwaree tweaker. One just has to have a term for the guy who is in charge of, and occasionally services or updates, the algorithms

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/09/06 04:51 PM.

dalehileman
#150570 01/10/06 03:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mm--yes, we all have things that get on our nerves, like the FF said "dis" gets on his. And even worse, most people, I think, can tolerate a particular thing most of the time, but has other times the thing sends them through the roof! (Maybe they're having a bad day, like everyone in my household did today.)

And, some people are just more sensitive than others.

Another problem occurs when someone makes judgments too soon. I read this little story years and years ago, and it made such an impact that it has stayed with me:
A man and his wife were taking a drive out in the country. They drove slowly past a farmhouse on a corner lot, and could see the farmer hoeing his garden--while sitting in a wooden chair. The husband said to his wife, "Well, if that isn't the heighth of laziness: sitting down to hoe". They turned the corner and took a last look back at the man...to see that he only had one leg.

#150571 01/10/06 11:00 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
consuelo: So I tried "Quick Reply" also, and got the same results, it deleted my post. I guess that's what makes it so quick

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/10/06 11:02 PM.

dalehileman
#150572 01/10/06 11:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you know dale, I just wish I could sit next to you and figure out what the hell happens to you that never happens to me.

#150573 01/10/06 11:13 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Quote:

you know dale, I just wish I could sit next to you and figure out what the hell happens to you that never happens to me.

Warm hands?

#150574 01/10/06 11:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> warm hands

hahahahahaha!

no, I got those...

#150575 01/10/06 11:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just used quick reply on three different attempts. The first time I got the dalehileman response. (timed out)

The second and third times this message got posted (which I am now editing).

Each time I unchecked 'add signature' and 'preview reply' (adding some small delay), typed the words "quick reply", and clicked the 'continue' button.

(say dale, you are hitting the continue button?!

Last edited by tsuwm; 01/10/06 11:38 PM.
#150576 01/11/06 12:48 AM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta: Perhaps it's that you're more attuned to Bill Gates' world than I

I wish you could too. Perhaps you would make a good companion. Do you like beer?

tsu: Indeed I did. Should I not have

Last edited by dalehileman; 01/11/06 12:55 AM.

dalehileman
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith