Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#14999 01/14/01 10:12 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
>I too guessed alphabetical order, but on Wednesday

Me too, Anna, but on Friday my time (=Thu pm US EST time), after seeing four of the words (dekko, ait, bijou, horst). For me, it was the "rst" sequence that did it.

I am impressed that you and bridget96 spotted an alphabetical pattern after only 3 and 2 (!!) words respectively.

In my response to Anu, I wondered about the longest English word that conforms to the rule (suggestions, anyone?), and also mused about sentences or passages of text made up entirely of conforming words (a bit like the "missing letter" challenge in another thread).

#15000 01/15/01 02:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I haven't received mine... has anyone else?

Marty, I've been around long enough to know that when Anu suggests a theme, it's almost always about structure and not meaning. So that precedent helped it to kick in quicker to my Partsheimer's mind.

#15001 01/15/01 04:19 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
I am way too new. Will they actually tell us what the theme was? I have two girls who are very anxious to see if they were right (plus I have a gift for the winner, but they don't know that). One of these girls is a problem child who I have 5th period. However, she was in my room before first period wondering if she was right. This is a good thing. LOL

Thanks,

"What we do in life, echoes an eternity" - Maximus Decimus Meridias.

Thanks,
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

I think the theme this week is 'small things or ways of being that stand out from their surroundings and call for attention." The first word, dekko (a look), is what the following four words cry out for you to bestow upon them. An ait, horst, and bijou are poetically synonymous upraised masses relative to their surroundings while dotty-ness is an example of such an expression in the human personality.

I like your thinking! I didn't know how esoteric to go in guessing, as this is my first "guess the theme" ~ if this is the answer, I fear I'm out of my league! If it's the alphabetical bit, maybe I can hold my own...

#15003 01/15/01 02:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No weekend letter, no announcement of the winner.... just a segue into this week's Dante theme with nary a mention of the previous week's activities. <sobbing, prepares the hemlock cocktail>

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon

P
stranger
stranger
P
Thanks for the compliment Fiberbabe (according to your username, you must be very regular!). But I think that Anu does stick with structure and not meaning when it comes to themes so I am almost certainly wrong. Yet, hint hint Anu, discovering connections in meaning is FAR more interesting, I think.

addict
addict
...in awe at the sagacity of the guessers... chewing at nails in suspense...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome, Marianna. I think that for you, as a student, to use a word like sagacity, you must be pretty sagacious yourself.
----------------------------------------------------------
I just read this week's post about the theme, and nearly
screamed. I thought "...a new
English verse translation done by my wife, the poet Jean Hollander, and me
and published three weeks ago by Doubleday" meant that
Stuti Garg, the poet J.H., and Anu had publised a book! Until I read on, that is, and realized that we have
a guest wordsmith this week.

Wonder how long we'll have to wait to find out the theme of ait, dekko, etc.?

#15007 01/16/01 01:31 AM
F
stranger
stranger
F
For Marty, I was curious too so I looked around the net and found the following. ALMOST, ABHORS, ACCENT, ACCESS, BIOPSY, BIJOUX, CHINTZ, EFFORT, and GHOSTY. Alphabetical order was my guess for this week too.

#15008 01/16/01 02:25 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Thanks fundybayman - you prodded me out of my apathy. I'll see your 6 and raise you one - BEEFILY and BILLOWY.

Here's the full paragraph:
"AEGILOPS (alternate spelling of egilops, an ulcer in a part of the eye) is apparently the longest word in W2 whose letters are in alphabetical order. This word is not in W3. CHILLLOSS (the opposite of a heatloss) has its letters in alphabetical order, although this word may not be in any dictionary. [Word Ways] The title of the film EFIK MOVY was written abcdEFghIjKlMnOpqrstuVwxYz to show the alphabetical-order property. Mike Turniansky, consulting W3, says BEEFILY and BILLOWY seem to be the only current words of 7 or more letters that have the letters in alphabetic order."

Source: http://home.xnet.com/~eo/word.html

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 691 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith