About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#147577 09/09/05 05:07 AM
J
J
<<<"Well, boys and girls," he said, sitting down with them in the middle of the carpet, "what can we learn from THIS little experience?">>>

If this board has taught me nothing else, it's that there are jerks in real life, and some of them also use the Internet. Age or the lack thereof is no predictor of wisdom or politeness.

#147578 09/09/05 10:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To sum up, your honor, the plaintiff received one gentle comment about posting in all caps, one, possibly spurious, but well intentioned, answer to his question, two welcomes, and another answer to his question. He then posted his reasons for posting in all caps and got, not only sympathy but possible methods of increasing type size. I submit, your honor, that the lesson is, as stated by many Board members, that some people are just way too touchy. Your honor, the defense rests.

#147579 09/09/05 11:46 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I'd go even further and suggest that the general tenor of this place is pretty kindly and helpful and there's no reason for anyone to beat themselves up over this nonsense. This isn't a forum for complete idiots and never will be. Rude newbies - get over yourselves.

There again, I've been working for the last 30 hours so mebbe I should shut up and go sleep ;)

#147580 09/09/05 12:19 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>to sum up<

Well done.

#147581 09/09/05 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I thought that was etaoin?

#147582 09/09/05 01:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> I thought that was etaoin?

> suggest that the general tenor of this place is pretty kindly and helpful

why thankee ver' much. and I hope there's a kernel of truth in that somewhere...

formerly known as etaoin...
#147583 09/09/05 02:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Goodness gracious, mav--get some sleep. (Your post was fine, but I'm concerned about you.)

johnjohn--very wise...and true.

Father Steve--merci. I'll be starting a new thread in I&A thanks to you. (I had to LU your phrase.)

Faldage--you are right. I apologize for being so curmudgeonly; I don't know what's wrong with me lately.

Edit: changed my mind; I put it in W&F, which I think is more apt.

#147584 09/10/05 02:49 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, fer hevin's sake!
When I first came ABoard - new to the Internet - I made many mistakes - and received gentle corrections from those more easy with the milieu than I. Some ruffled my feathers a bit but I thought things over and saw the benefit of having kind souls help me. MaxQ was particularly kind, sending screenshots to help me in my fumbling ways.
I have found 99 percent of the answers to my posts have been kind and well meant.
Age has litle to do with it. It's a mindset IMHO. I am 76 and am glad to have found a place with so many patient and helpful souls frequenting it.

#147585 09/11/05 05:24 PM
E
ECH714 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
This post is not directed to anyone in particular but may be useful to everyone in general.
I guess I should thank Faldage for the left handed sort of way that their reply to my question caused me to check out “Netiquette.”
A word I never heard of before. I obtained much information from a search engine and it was most interesting to be sure. When we unpacked the computer and read the instruction book, no where did it mention the rules of etiquette for internet use. In fact it did not mention such a thing as Netiquette. I shall provide the link in case you are interested. http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

If you will permit me I would like to share rule 10 with you.
Rule 10: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes
Everyone was a network newbie once. And not everyone has had the benefit of reading this book. So when someone makes a mistake -- whether it's a spelling error or a spelling flame, a stupid question or an unnecessarily long answer -- be kind about it. If it's a minor error, you may not need to say anything. Even if you feel strongly about it, think twice before reacting. Having good manners yourself doesn't give you license to correct everyone else.
If you do decide to inform someone of a mistake, point it out politely, and preferably by private email rather than in public. Give people the benefit of the doubt; assume they just don't know any better. And never be arrogant or self-righteous about it. Just as it's a law of nature that spelling flames always contain spelling errors, notes pointing out Netiquette violations are often examples of poor Netiquette.

I am a newbie to the world of computers and especially the internet. We were all newbies at one time in everything we have ever done, even walking. The most accomplished computer nerd started at square one when he began.

I am no longer using capital letters because I type in MS Word in a font of sufficient size that I can see and then reduce it to the acceptable size for the internet public. Sure it is a time consuming process but I would rather do that than offend anyone.

I shall graciously accept criticism of my errors but I ask that you HELP me in your criticism and ask that you not chastise nor ridicule me. I will learn much faster that way I assure you. I ask, as do others in my situation, that you be a bit more tolerant. Just because we are “older” does not mean we are not willing to learn.
Finally, my apologies, again, to each and every one who may have been offended by my use of capital letters in my first post.

#147586 09/11/05 05:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Windows offers several accesability options.

go to the start button
then select Control Panel from the list of options

the control panel offers ACCESSABILITY OPTIONS

one option allow you to increase font/window/icon size.. another option allows for a magnifying 'window' place that window on top of any other window and it magnifies it.

in addition, there are 3rd party software packages for vision and for other accessabiltiy issues.

ECH you are not the first or last person here to need or use these options. --nor are you by anymeans the oldest person here! I recommend you read the hints for newcomers and the FAQ --both will provide you with tips and tricks to navigate here, and on other sites.

several are designed for the total computer illiterate.. (surprize your grandson and do a little magic.. when he asks, "howja do that?" smile and explain your not an old dog, and you are quite capable of learning some new tricks!)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith