Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
#14740 03/05/01 06:06 PM
In reply to:

When will people whose profession consists of using the English language learn that you're stepping into linguistic quicksand whenever you combine "re-" and "back"!

I'd say that was deja vu all over again... wouldn't you?

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#14741 03/05/01 06:11 PM
In reply to:

How many TV anchors write all their own stuff?

Hi Bill - but it's not WHAT they say as much as HOW they say it (facial expressions, tone of voice and such) - and how it's edited - so if the 'anchor' (Peter, Dan, and ... who IS on NBC these days?) is also the chief editor (as is usually true on the network shows), then, in fact, they DO 'write' or at least rewrite and make it their own!

#14742 03/05/01 06:33 PM
B
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
news anchors
Personally, I find Jennings to be the best of the lot and probably the most knowledgable. As to the others, I doubt that they know much of anything. What they do is read what is put in front of them, and it's a performance more than anything else. Still, I expect them to use correct English even if their writers don't know what is correct.

#14743 03/05/01 07:15 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Common in judicial opinions, and resistant to efforts to stamp it out, is the phrase "remand back." Argh.

#14744 03/05/01 07:18 PM
In reply to:

news anchors
Personally, I find Jennings to be the best of the lot and probably the most knowledgable. As to the others, I doubt thatthey know much of anything. What they do is read what is put in front of them, and it's a performance more than anything else. Still, I expect them to use correct English even if their writers don't know what is correct.

I, on the other hand, am less concerned about their use of the English language as I am about the CONTENT of their reports. MOST, if not ALL of Mr. Jennings reports concerning Israel are either totally misinformed or are outright LIES! (see my comment in a previous post in this thread concerning his 'friend' with whom he has had a well-known ongoing relationship...)

There is simply no question of the media bias AGAINST Israel in favor of the 'palestinians'... the only real concern, then, is how many people actually believe them, and I'm afraid that way too many people in this superficial world run by a totally biased media do!

As I live in Jerusalem, Israel, I happen to know what is really happening here! Unfortunately, not enough people care what I have to say as I look out my living room window or walk down the street or ride the city or intra-city buses (you know, the ones the Arabs like to blow up occasionally?) or go to Mahane Yehuda (the open air market) to shop (remember - they like to target that area as well) or have to don a bulletproof vest for the 10-minute ride in a car just to visit friends!

For a closer look at the situation vis-a-vis 'journalists' (so-called, usually by themselves) and what they report from here, take a look at this piece from today's WorldNetDaily web site: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=21936

And if you are REALLY interested in the TRUTH of the situation, not in what your friend Peter Jennings has to say, drop me a note at wonderworks@iname.com and I'll add you to my distribution list - you'll get some very interesting reading material from time to time!

Shoshannah
Can you tell that this topic makes me HOT????

#14745 03/05/01 10:37 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
This isn't from a professional news person, but it still makes me want to tear my hair out. (Figuratively speaking, of course.) There's a commercial on a local radio station which advertises a treatment "guaranteed to regrow new hair!" Argh!

#14746 03/05/01 11:55 PM
In reply to:

This isn't from a professional news person, but it still makes me want to tear my hair out. (Figuratively speaking, of course.) There's a commercial on a local radio station which advertises a treatment "guaranteed to regrow new hair!" Argh!

Okay, here we go, stating the obvious, thou one of the long golden mane (only guessing, of course, from your board name), please do NOT tear it out, for then you may have to resort to said treatment and when it does decide to REGROW (speaking from some minor experience...), it just might do so in a NEW and totally different colour! Argh right back at ya!

Shoshannah

#14747 03/06/01 10:46 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
One of my hopes for the future of the Internet is that we will all be able read news from other countries in "their own write" without the intrusive comments of TV anchor-units, regardless of the quality of their English.

[rant][Actually on my last trip to the USA (and the UK is not much better), I saw very little news reporting from the rest of the world. All that they seemed to want to show was footage of people with rulers measuring inches of snow in lots of different places (I now know how to make a snow angel!). I'd never known that weather reporting could go ...on and on and on ... for sooooo long.]

#14748 03/06/01 12:08 PM
In reply to:

One of my hopes for the future of the Internet is that we will all be able read news from other countries in "their own write" without the intrusive comments of TV anchor-units, regardless of the quality of their English.

Jo - actually, you can basically do that NOW - I frequent the Jordan Times (daily English language newspaper at http://www.jordantimes.com) web site and others from the region to see what exactly they are saying (primarily about Israel, of course, but it's always interesting to get their 'spin' on the world at large).

Also - most TV stations and many radio as well - try going to http://www.jpostradio.com for instance - around the world seem to have their own sites - best way to find them is to simply do a search (I use http://www.Go2Net.com) on the country name - except once I typed in "Turkey" and I got pages and pages of URLs with recipes on how to roast the Thanksgiving bird with all the trimmings!) or just try typing in www.tv.gov.__(and the two-letter country code) or sometimes without the .gov part... I just experiment with potential addresses to see what pops up!

Have fun - oh, it would help if we (and our computers) actually could READ some of those other languages as many are now in their own rather than in English, but the ones I gave links for above are all in English and sometimes the "English" they use is very interesting!
- I'll use this as my 'summer smile emoticon' since the sun is quite bright now and I need my shades!

Shoshannah

#14749 03/06/01 12:21 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> Jo - actually, you can basically do that NOW

I agree, perhaps I should have said that more people will choose to do it.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith