Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Have you ever noticed how many abbreviations & acronyms there are where people have to or are inclined to say the last word of the group in order for it to be understood, such as 'PIN number' 'IBAN number' (international bank account number)? I have a feeling this is more common in English than other languages. Are we sloppy or overly cautious? Next we'll be saying, 'Would you like my international banking IBAN number'. Now I would like to know if there's a word for *that. (besides tautology)

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
"redundancy"?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In the American retail trade, we have the same thing with UPC. It stands for Universal Product Code – that black ‘n white square with lines you find on every product with a 12-digit code below it. Nobody says, “what’s the UPC?” They always say, “What’s the UPC code?

And, to make matters worse, whenever I say “What’s the UPC” people always pause and look like they’re trying to figure out what I’m saying; like I haven’t finished my sentence, or something. It’s really odd.

Zed's right, UPC code is redundant, yet it has now become that specific term.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sheesh!! You people act like a little redundancy was the end of the world. Redundancy is good! Redundancy ensures that you'll be understood. Redundancy gives you a better signal to noise ratio. Remember, every time you use some plural number with a plural form of a noun, you're being redundant. Every time your verb agrees with your subject you're being redundant. Embrace redundancy. Redundancy is your friend.

veteran
veteran

The redundancy that irritates me the most is the term "software program" that seems ubiquitous in manager-speak, but "PIN number" is a close second.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We have a reporter on the ground investigating this.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I'm not sure I'm grasping what you have to say there Faldage, can you go over it one more time?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The redundancy that irritates me the most is the term "software program"

And what is redundant about "software program"? There are other kinds of programs and there are examples of software that don't qualify as programs.

P
stranger
stranger
P
An Hispanic friend of mine goes crazy when she hears, "salsa sauce." Do people say it so they don't mistakenly get "salsa dance" with their tacos? Another annoying culinary redundancy is the phrase, "with au jus."

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>Do people say it so they don't mistakenly get "salsa dance" with their tacos?<<

Heaven forefend!

Maybe they think salsa means "hot"? or is that generous?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith