About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#14770 03/07/01 07:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
read the UK newspapers at our local fish and chip shop!

It this a service of the fish and chip shop? or do you have to read through the grease?

Fish and chip shops are one of the things i envy -- fish and chip (while no more healthy) is, to me, a better choice than Micky D's.

There used to be a nice little fish and chip shop on City Island-- a little bit of a NE sea port town hidden in Long Island sound and technialy part of the bronx-- but its become more popular, and since its an island-- there is only but so much land, and all of it is getting more expensive. and the rents became to high-- now the store is a fancy boutique.

One of its claims to fame is Oliver Sacks lives there... and scenes in Awakenings where shot there.

#14771 03/07/01 08:27 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
fish and chip (while no more healthy)

Surprisingly, fish and chips as a meal is a healthier choice than McD's. Apparently it has to do with the amount of fat absorbed by the cjhips, as opposed to the shoestring fries used by outlets like McD's, KFC, Burger King, etc. The bigger, thicker chips absorb significantly less fat, something to do with surface area as a proportion of total mass, or summat like dat. Our Ministry of Health published a survey on this last year.

#14772 03/07/01 09:26 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Fish n'Chips one of my favorite English treats!
Many food places here offer F n'C but generally lack the nice fat "chips."
(French Fries in USA, Pont Neuf style according to my French Chef friend)
Finally found one place that comes really close and discovered one of their secrets is malt vinegar as opposed to the usual cider vinegar.
wow

#14773 03/07/01 11:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen of the fryer that burnt a thousand chips, asks It this a service of the fish and chip shop? or do you have to read through the grease?

It's illegal to wrap fish and chips (or any other cooked food) in newspaper these days. All those long-strand polymers in the ink, don'cha know.

It's a service, albeit a very casual one. The grease shop is next door to a dairy which sells magazines. At the end of their shelf life, the magazines are clipped and go next door for the delectation of for those awaiting their golden, crisply fried and totally delicious fish'n chips!

And thinking about it, I'm hungry and I haven't had any lunch yet ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14774 03/07/01 11:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow,

As a lifelong connoisseur of fish and chips, I can tell you, regardless of any cries of derision from the east of you, that the Brits don't, cannot and never will make fish and chips properly.

I suggest that you go and stand on the beach to await the sounds of overwrought emotion from our pommy friends; they should take about four and a half hours to reach you.

The reasons are simple and repairable if they so desired (but they don't). They cook them at too low a temperature and they use beef dripping. Soggy, soggy, soggy.

We've been contemplating starting a grease shop in London to feed all the starving Australians and New Zealanders living there. I reckon it would take six months at the most before the locals abandoned the dripping mess they normally deposit in their quivering bellies and come a-runnin'!

[Running-off-to-find-somewhere-to-hide-muttering-"Vindaloo-vindaloo-vindaloo" emoticon]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14775 03/08/01 12:13 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
As a lifelong connoisseur of fish and chips, I can tell you, regardless of any cries of derision from the east of you, that the Brits don't, cannot and never will make fish and chips properly.

Having never had to endure eating UK fushnchups, I can only add that I am left bewildered whenever Pommie friends salivate rapturously as they describe their longing for "real" fish and chips. They actually miss the very blandness and sogginess you describe! (bemused-shuddering-emoticon)

#14776 03/08/01 12:50 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I saw recently on BBC news that there is a serious shortage of the Cod usually used for their so-called delicacy (de gustibus and all that.) I have noticed difference here in the kind of fish used in different places. Not even sure what kind it is that I like best.
So, my question is, what kinds of fish are used in your area, and which kind do you like best ?

#14777 03/08/01 01:43 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
what kinds of fish are used in your area, and which kind do you like best

Shark is common as a cheap fish, terakihi and snapper are quite nice. Gurnard is fairly popular too.

#14778 03/08/01 02:09 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I can't imagine shark in fish and chips. Fifty years ago a Nisei classmate shared some kamaboko with me, and I had trouble being polite.It reminded me of kidney, which I do not enjoy. The unagi(sliced smoked eel) was delicious, but I have never had any since. Surprising how few Japanese restaurants there are here, compared to Chinese.

#14779 03/08/01 02:32 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
It's illegal to wrap fish and chips (or any other cooked food) in newspaper these days. All those long-strand polymers in the ink, don'cha know.

The local fish 'n chips I buy from occasionally is cute and has parchment printed to look like newspaper.

Ali

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith