Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
#14760 03/06/01 08:41 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
My hearing aid batteries are getting weak

I would have been much more concerned if you said that you had heard what Lord Acton said, as it would mean that you are more than twice the age you claim to be!

#14761 03/06/01 09:23 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"Liberty too can corrupt, and absolute liberty can corrupt absolutely" - Getrude Himmelfarb

#14762 03/06/01 09:41 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Gertrude Himmelfarb was right, if she was talking about using obscenities.

#14763 03/06/01 10:13 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> But that's not the worst possible thing about TV news reporting. I hope and pray that no U.S. president will ever again be assassinated, or otherwise die in office. I could not go through another 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week obsession with reporting on that and every possible ramification to the exclusion of virtually everything else, and going over and over the same stuff until you want to scream.

Of course we had virtually a whole week of Diana, so I sympathise. Sad as I was, the wall to wall news reporting didn't help. My partner in life was in the USA for coverage of the bomb that went off in Oklahoma. He was amazed at the highly repetitive and intrusive coverage which went on for days and days.

#14764 03/07/01 11:51 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> ....going over and over the same stuff until you want to scream.

Nobody makes you watch it! One way round it, is to avoid television completely. The mind-numbing repetiton of 'breaking-news' is not worth it, nor is television on the whole. Just throw out your T.V. or find five good reasons to keep it (teletext is not one :-)

uninformedruffian

#14765 03/07/01 12:13 PM
'C' - first question: are you FROM Munich and if not, from where? I ask because of the name Betts (from your profile, of course) and the fact that I grew up knowing a Betts family who were/are good friends of my family and quite an interesting group!

In reply to:

Nobody makes you watch it! One way round it, is to avoid television completely. The mind-numbing repetiton of 'breaking-news' is not worth it, nor is television on the whole.

About TV - here in Israel, we have only two non-cable Israeli channels (1 & 2 - very creative names, don't ya think?). They are different only in that Channel 1 is without adverts and Channel 2 is supported by adverts (so they overwhelm each program, of course). But the programming is very similar - lots of talk shows (Israelis love to talk and debate and scream and rant and carry on - especially about politics...), cooking shows, children's programming, and English-language sitcoms and dramas (from the US, Australia, UK). Channel 2 also buys from HBO, so we get, for instance, "Sex & the City" on the regular channel - but only late at night... not that that really means anything since Israelis are very open about sex and related issues.

Late at night, after Channel 1 goes off the air (around midnight), I can sometimes receive Palestinian TV - which is interesting, since most of its programming consists of Arabic-language talk shows in which the participants rant on about evil Israel and how important it is for them to just kill us all and get it over with.... in the daytime, they show their own version of Sesame Street (in Arabic) in which little children are shown sitting around learning from their adult teachers to songs about killing themselves while they kill Jews to become martyrs - by the way, this program is supported by American tax dollars!

I don't like cable, so I'm reduced to those two choices and occasionally, on a clear day, Jordan's TV channel (used to be a separate foreign language channel - mostly English but also French and now they've consolidated into one 24-hour/day 'superchannel' which, unfortunately, is mostly in Arabic...). Jordan TV is interesting as they also show American sitcoms and dramas - but they edit out any male-female contact, such as kissing and even, in some cases, handholding and so forth!

So - the answer for me is to watch the schedule and turn it on a bit before the program I intend to watch - otherwise, I keep it off and enjoy either music on the radio (I prefer jazz, swing, oldies rock & roll and such) or just listen to the quiet (when I can't hear the shooting and shelling and resulting ambulance sirens these days).

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#14766 03/07/01 01:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Jo, you are so right, most US coverage is repetative, and boring--and the best solution is to avoid it as much as possible.

I recognize that i have this deep seated anti-anglosaxon bent-- I try to keep it check-- and not let it influence me-- (but i always thing bloody brits!) But inspite of that-- i try to read the economist. Its not perfect-- but it, unlike most US "new weekly" acutaly covers the world--

US news and world report-- is pretty short on the world report part-- and news in general in US is covers as--"Plane crashes-- 3 americans killed, detail to follow-- and the details are jumbo jet crashes into school, or hospital or what ever-- but the lead is 3 americans killed---and it there had been no americans aboard, it might not make it to TV news!-- the times (NY Times) is a bit better, it actually acknowledges there is world beyond the US borders.

Most TV station (ie the big three, CBS, NBC, and ABC) no longer even have foriegn corespondants-- and use BBC stringers, or independant news organization reporters.

and as for the weather! the US is a big geographic mass-- there is always interesting weather going on somewhere, and it always makes the news--

#14767 03/07/01 02:56 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said:"Everybody talks about the news, but nobody does anything about it."

#14768 03/07/01 04:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max enthused Here in NZ, our two major fre-to-air-broadcasters give pretty decent coverage of the outside world, probably because if they did not, they would never fill their 48 minute hours.

Being a news junkie, I take at least SOME issue with what my compatriot says above. Generally we get about half an hour of local (including Oz) news and then quarter of an hour to twenty minutes of international news, including REALLY interesting "cat up tree rescued by firemen" type topics. (Why they bother beats me - have you ever seen a cat skeleton up a tree?) The rest is sport.

To top up, I find myself watching or taping the BBC, NBC and ABC plus current affairs programmes sourced from overseas, as well as scanning the newspaper websites on the Internet. To supplement our lamentably parochial newspapers, I subscribe to Time (although its quality is going downhill fast) and read the UK newspapers at our local fish and chip shop!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14769 03/07/01 06:36 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Being a news junkie, I take at least SOME issue with what my compatriot says above. Generally we get about half an hour of local (including Oz) news and then quarter of an hour to twenty minutes of international news,

Once again, Max has demonstrated his failure to grasp the arcane concept of clearly communicating thought content. What I meant to say, was that NZ TV had quite good non-local coverage when measured against ABC's World News Tonght, the only US news show I see on a regular basis. As much as I enjoy listening to Peter Jennings, it does seem that "World News" is something of a misnomer for that bulletin, as its amount of non-US news makes the 20-25% non-local content in our news look very good. On a related note, I was horrified and very angry to read yesterday that TVNZ is dumping its link with BBC World. No more Hardtalk, no more real world news. If I didn't have acess to this internet thingy I would be even more of an ignorant buffoon than I am.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith