C
Chickie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Grinning!

N
N
In reply to:

The survey at http://www.speakout.com/VoteMatch calls me a moderate conservative.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Jazz enlightened me with this: And by the way Max, I wouldn't consider myself a staunch republican. The survey at http://www.speakout.com/VoteMatch calls me a moderate conservative. There are some republican ideas with which I don't agree, but when it comes to arguing, I go with the GOP. Plus, the way Al Gore makes a speech makes me sick.

Fairy nuff, I sit corrected. I'm not sure it's right to speak so disrespeckfly 'bout the father of this here electrical Internet thingumabob, but!

J
old hand
old hand
J
The survey at http://www.speakout.com/VoteMatch calls me a moderate conservative.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Well, since you think it is, could you please tell us all why exactly it is an oxymoron? If this is an oxymoron, then we have to be fair and say that moderate liberal is as well.

I see it as perfectly plausible for someone to agree with most, but not all, of a certain party's beliefs.

S
S
My mom, a former RN at a nursing home, used to speak of "empathy fatigue". After working all day dealing with other people's complaints she would find it difficult to empathize with her own families' problems. God bless her, we empathized and forgave her.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Half the nounal-adjective/noun combinations used in the English language could be called oxymorons. My personal favourite is "military intelligence". As an oxymoron it's right up there with the ultimate circumlocution, reputedly from the CIA, which defines "peace" as "permanent prehostility".

Let's not start arguing over the possible combinations of nouns which produce possible oxymorons - especially politically-related ones such as that one-word oxymoron, "politic" ... that way lieth madness

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
The very un-delooped CapKiwi sagely suggested: Let's not start arguing over the possible combinations of nouns which produce possible oxymorons - especially politically-related ones such as that one-word oxymoron, "politic"

Agreed! Avoiding politics seems a politic course of action. Jazz, you are the one who has expressed your politicak opinions most forthrightly to date, and I think that you are to be commended for the restraint you have shown in this thread. I suspect that our little Miss nobody just likes to needle people a bit, from behind the sanctuary of her anonymity. Given that we have atheists and at least one cleric (of course, one can be both simultaneously) sharing this board very amicably, I'm sure that we can continue the tradition of leaving such matters as politics and religion where they belong - not here.

#14649 01/05/01 09:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... for all we know, could be a little Mister nobody ['delicate cough' emoticon]. But yer point is taken and seconded, Max. ['hear, hear' emoticon]

#14650 01/05/01 10:04 PM
B
stranger
stranger
B
Okay, then. How about empath-path?--as an analogue to psychopath, sociopath....

#14651 01/05/01 10:25 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Oh, I think bear-tiger has it. I recall the word sociopath being used to describe a young boy who showed no empathy towards anybody and was only concerned with the things that affected him. He did not understand, say, why it was bad to hurt someone.

Hello bear-tiger and chickie ... welcome on Board.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith