Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1464 04/19/00 08:42 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I like to look at the quotations at the bottom of the word of the day. Usually I smile or think for a moment, sometimes I save them for future reference. Sometimes they really bother me.

I've managed to delete the one from a few days ago from Pablo Picasso. It was something along the lines of "Don't put off until tomorrow anything that you could die left undone". I'm sure someone will be able to post the exact quotation for me (it isn't in the archive).

That really bothered me. I prefer to live by the thought "Never do anything today that can't be left until a week next Friday at 4.30pm."

Whilst I recognise that the piles of clutter which dominate my life might not be to everyone's taste, I prefer to "batch" things: Finance things when I really have to; Thinking things when I feel like thinking; Washing when there are no more socks; Tidying up things at least once a year, if necessary ... you get the drift.

I was wondering if Picasso's philosophy would work for a working mum like me. I really do too many things at a time, too many half done things at any one time. I think it would make my life a misery - its hard enough to get to bed as it is with late night ironing and trying to get excited about the nutritional contents of the next day's packed lunches. How pleasant it must be to sit in an artist's studio with lunch brought on a tray and only "important things" to think about.

On the other hand I thought - if I die tomorrow I won't have to do the piles of ironing and as long as the house isn't actually infested with rats it won't really matter. The only problem is that it could get a bit out of hand with everything getting even more out of control than I could stand.

Do any of the quotations ever launch you into uncontrolled ramblings?

#1465 04/19/00 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Date: Tue Apr 11 00:05:09 EDT 2000
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--reticent
X-Bonus: Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone. -Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)

Found it, Journeyman Jo! Yes, 'most anything can set my mind to wandering, and it is really too little to be out
by itself. J.

#1466 04/20/00 12:34 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Let me remind you this more comfortable quote:

Never put off till tomorrow what you can ignore entirely.

#1467 04/20/00 01:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
more tomorrows to come:

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." -Mark Twain

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement." -Snoopy

#1468 04/20/00 05:39 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
I'm feeling much better already.

#1469 04/21/00 10:15 PM
J
J
Hi Jo,

Pithy aphorisms of the type you advert are often food for thought. If not, they are bad aphorisms. I’m sure we all have our favorites. I like to jot down the ones that I find most piquant. Our Unix system greets me with a witticism every morning when I log on. Some of these are “not altogether unmeaningless”, however. And that bit of litotes is courtesy of James Thurber.

The problem with modeling our lives by such apothegms , is that every maxim has its equally valid antithesis. Our universe, our lives, are too complex for simple formulaic rubrics. That said, I nevertheless admire your “batching” approach to living. Being an engineer I am conditioned to strive for efficiency, and doing chores when they are due is often a time and labor saver. But the cost of this efficiency is that sometimes one must put on dirty socks. :-)

We all make tradeoffs. Personally, I’d rather do my laundry less often, if it gives me more time to do the “more important” things, like reading a good book or taking the family out for a movie. Some folks would place a well manicured lawn before reading. It’s all in how you look at things, and who’s to really say who’s right? A good rule of thumb is: there ain’t no rule of thumb to living. We all must create our own way, and that’s the point. When we quit thinking for ourselves, we abdicate our greatest responsibility and relinquish our greatest right as human beings. Many of the most influential figures in history were free thinkers, eccentrics, or social misfits. They often were able to contribute more by their radical departure from the “important things” of their time. John Q. Normal is destined for obscurity in the grand scheme of things.

Here’s one of my favorite aphorisms, or is it poetry?

Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric;
Out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry.
--W. B. Yeats

If you find yourself musing on aphorisms, why not give poetry a try? It can be a heady experience.

I am two fools, I know,
For loving, and for saying so
In whining poetry
--John Donne

I haven't researched it yet but yes, zinzulation would seem to be a legitimate word. There are words for many kinds of sounds. Tintinnabulation (bell ringing), stridulation (cicada chirping), susurration (a whispering or murmuring sound), rataplan (a rhythmic drum beat), and borborygmus (a gastro-intestinal rumbling sound) are just a few that come to mind, and there are doubtless many more awaiting our discovery. I will add zinzulate and its inflected forms to my collection. I will post my research findings here Monday.

#1470 04/22/00 04:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Write a witty saying and your name will live forever!"
-anonymous

"Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice."
-unknown

#1471 04/23/00 10:38 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Thanks Jeff - Its good to find there are other "batchers" around. I noticed this amongst previous Word-A-Day thoughts -
ADMIRATION: Our polite recognition of another’s resemblance to ourselves.

#1472 04/24/00 04:21 PM
J
J
Jo,

As promised, I have researched the word, 'zinzulation'. I consulted OED2, W2, W3, The Barnhard Dictionary of New English (BDNE) (1993, I think), The Encarta Dictionary of World English--an ordurous task, but I was desperate--, and a diverse handful of books offering collections of rare, exotic, and esoteric words for the verbevore and the epeolater. None of these sources list any form of 'zinzulation'.

This does not mean that this term is not a word. It just means that if it is being used at all, it hasn't caught on enough to catch the notice of the lexicographers. If you are in earnest to find out more about this locution, I would suggest you write a letter to Merriam-Webster's Language Research Dept. asking if they have any citations for this word in their files. They should be able to help, if the word has any currency at all. An e-mail will often do, although a paper letter sent by snail mail should assure you of a carefully researched response. The address is:

Language Research Service
P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA 01102

I hope this helps.

#1473 04/24/00 05:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Goodness me! Perhaps YOUR screen name should be Sherlock!
Or maybe Terrier--aren't they known for tenaciously
keeping things in their teeth until they've accomplished
their goal?

#1474 04/25/00 07:24 AM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Just in case anyone is wondering how "zinzulation" found its way into this thread. I had a message entitled "oonomatopoieae" - which said
"Hello, jmh - zinzulation is a word I've been told about, but never found in a dictionary. Apparently, it means the plangent sound made by a metal blade such as that of a buzz saw. Have you seen it anywhere?"

I wasn't sure if it was real so I asked a few fellow a-word-a-dayers for advice. I had quite a few good responses (for which I am very grateful) and managed to formulate a reply, mainly based on a message from twusm. He managed to turn up a reference to the word - I'll let him post his answer if he wishes. I think Jeff's reply is very useful for anyone needing to check out an obscure word.
Sorry to take you off the main subject with this message.

JMH

#1475 04/25/00 01:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>based on a message from twusm

"twusm"?? what kind of twisted name is twoooosum?!

#1476 04/25/00 09:29 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
twusm"?? what kind of twisted name is twoooosum?!

It's somewhere between an "affectionate diminutive" (but not really diminutive enough for that) and a "malapropism". It would need two word for a "spoonerism", so I'll just stick with "bloomer".

#1477 04/25/00 09:35 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Still off the subject - for anyone who is interested:
re: zinzulation - Here's the reply from tuswm (anagram of tsuwm)

I have one hit on a web search, from an Aussie newsletter:

We hope around Schofields there will be the zinzulation (7) of old aeroplanes, and the first should start to inhabit the place during September at the weekends. There will be the usual bavardage (does he mean badinage? - ed.) regarding "spam cans" etc. but we hope it will be put into the
category of "the colourful pageant of life".

7. echoic for the sound of power saws
---
I have no clue as to whether the author or the editor provided the footnoted definition, but I have found bavardage in my W3, which the editor could not verify.
p.p.s. - bavardage means smalltalk or chitchat. another wwftd, tra la!!

#1478 04/26/00 03:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"twoooo-some" sounds toothsome to me! I think you're sweet!

#1479 05/05/00 02:09 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Something funny - even not polite - happened when I put on a wall of my University (Department of Mathematics) the AWAD-quotation

Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.
Mickey Mouse

An anonimous student added the following

...or to twenty-one without taking off your slip.
Minnie

(In Italy Mickey Mouse is "Topolino" (= small mouse) and Minnie his girl friend)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith