Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#14563 01/08/01 12:16 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Hello PaulB.

I remember wearing a liberty bodice too when I was very young (early sixties). It was warm and worn as well as a vest in the winter, I remember it being a light brown or dark cream. I found a couple of websites which said that it was fleecy and designed to keep one warm. I think it was made predominantly for girls. I've seen a couple that were more like corsets but I don't remember it having any "bones".
http://removed
http://www.harboro.ndirect.co.uk/harboro.htm

Foornote: I've just looked at the first website that I had listed again, following Jackie's post (next one down). I had searched on "liberty bodice" - and only looked at the information given about where they were made. I've decided that it is a distinctly dodgy site, so I've amended my post and removed the reference.

#14564 01/08/01 04:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can't stand it, I can't stand it! My God! Jo, that first website! My God! The cruelty! Did you, did you, go to the home page and read, and read, that first letter?
That one, from that God-awful sadist who, who, of all things, is a teacher?? To say nothing of those "Three Letters From School". That unspeakable
wretch, that woman, that first one--forced her
nephew into complete, total, and utter humiliation--subjected him to it for a full half-hour--and then, and then, even more unbelievably, bragged about it!!
Oh! Oh! Why, oh why, do adults so often act as though
might is right, when it comes to dealing with children??
That woman has NO CLUE as to what she taught that child;
that goes for all the other sadistic teachers/parents/parent substitutes, too. What a child learns from that kind of treatment is, first, fear.
Obedience out of fear is not what a child should be raised by. That child learned that he could be forced to do something. He learned nothing about realistic expectations, and discipline in its classical sense: that is, why certain things are and are not done. It is also VERY likely that he learned to be vengeful--I doubt that this is what that...that...ooh!...person had in mind! A beloved friend told me of being forced into a humiliating situation in front of his class--it still haunted him three decades later. The feelings of powerlessness cause indescribable harm.
Well, now you have all seen me in pretty much full rant.
It's going to take me a while to get over those letters.

#14565 01/08/01 10:00 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
My God! Jo, that first website! My God!

I didn't even get to see it. . .

#14566 01/08/01 10:08 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Well Jazzo, I could say ... "you just should have got there quicker" but then there is no way that I would say something like that!

#14567 01/08/01 10:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't even get to see it. . .

Sweetie, it was about adults deciding to punish schoolboys
by making them wear girls' clothes in front of people. No
major deal--unless you were the boy. But I strongly imagine that the classmates were horribly uncomfortable as well, underneath the laughter they knew the adult expected.

#14568 01/08/01 11:02 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
How old were these children? I'd say the severity of the "child abuse" depends on the age of the children. In Shakespeare's time, men practically dressed like women anyway, and I think I can safely say that I know people my age would wear a dress to school just because they thought it was amusing

#14569 01/08/01 11:09 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
JazzOctopus remarkedHow old were these children? I'd say the severity of the "child abuse" depends on the age of the children. In Shakespeare's time, men practically dressed like women anyway, and I think I can safely say that I know people my age would wear a dress to school just because they thought it was amusing

Ay, there's the rub, Jazz. What makes it abusive is the element of compulsion, as punishment. If someone wants to engage in a little cross-dressing, that's obviously very different from being forced to do so as an act of public humiliation.

#14570 01/09/01 08:41 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>a little cross-dressing

On a second read I thought it was more of, lets say, a .. fantasy site, that's why I removed the link. Whoever put it there deserved (and probably got) a good spanking.

Nuf said?

#14571 01/09/01 09:01 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Here's another discussion of "liberty bodices". I'd be careful of searching on this item, the more modern versions seem to have something to do with bondage! I don't remember it too well as I was quite young. I think it was suggested to my parents as I suffered from bronchitis and any extra layers (in the cold winters before central heating) were thought to be good. I don't remember the bit to attach the woolly stockings and I don't suppose Paul wore them either!
---
Here's the reference:
"I've suddenly recalled a somewhat peculiar girls' undergarment, which was called a liberty bodice. I know I had at least one in my undies collection, during early post-war years, but all I vaguely remember about it was that it was worn over the vest, was a lot shorter than a vest, had rubber buttons up the front, and a suspender-like gizmo dangling at the sides, at about the waistline, with a rubber button at the end, as though to anchor it to something (goodness knows what). I remember it as being miserably uncomfortable to wear. but perhaps the only ones I had were a size too small for me. I never wore one consistently, but it was there in the drawer and now and again I was persuaded to give it another chance. Eventually they disappeared."
http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/enigma/evac17.htm
---

#14572 01/09/01 01:26 PM
old hand
old hand
All this discussion of 'liberty bodices' throws my mind back (only about 4 years or so) when the V&A had a great exhibition on British fashion through the years. (I bought the book for my mother, who is something of a seamstress, but I went to the exhibition out of sheer fascination anyway - even though I'm not into fashion at all.) One of the loveliest (oh what a twee word) was the 'Liberty suit', a tweedy, thick woollen construction that I wished existed today - I'd love to wear something of the slightly moth-eaten-looking brown shade. I believe the 'Liberty' range was used to designate a series of clothes made rather cheaply in the rationing era (WW2 and just after)? Can anyone confirm this? (No Google matches...)

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith