Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#14523 01/03/01 02:37 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
In a private conversation, Jo mentioned donning a jumper– and I realized, of course that she was putting on what I would call a pull over sweater–. Since to me a jumper is a open necked, sleeveless, deep arm holed dress. More commonly worn by young girls, you might occasional find a nice one, in wool, with a matching jacket, being worn by a business woman. In all cases, you would wear something under a jumper–

When I was in elementary school, we wore blue wool jumpers, with deep scoop necks, and white blouses with peter pan collars. And it got me thinking...

Here is a list of clothing, read through the list– I am sure there a things I missed. It is more heavily loaded with american terms– forgive me
add to it or
pick a few to "define"–

As I constructed the list– I thought, oh every one will know and agree on this– and then thought again, and realize some of these things might not be known to jazz or nemo or xara– and they might add some things that I will see and say what?

But once defined, oh– I call it an X, not a Y..(and if they where my children, they would roll their eyes, and say–you are so totally outdated!– but here its safe!) And some like jumper, knicker, flannels, suspenders– I know have very different meanings depending on location.

anorak
ascot
bandana
bermudas's
braces
bubuska
caftan
cape
cardigan
cat suit
clam diggers
cover all's
culottes
dress
dresser
eton jacket
flannels
floods
frock
galoshes
garters
gator's
jerkin
jersey
jumpsuit
kerchief
knee highs
knickers
long johns
mac
mocs
models coat
monkey suit
mu-mu
mukluk
muscle shirt
nehru jacket
panties
parka
pea coat
pinafore
pinny
plus fours
pullover
romper
sarong
serape
shawl
shirtwaist
shrug
ski jacket
skort
slicker
smock
stockings
stocks
sun suit
suspenders
sweats
trainers
trousers
union suits
vest
wellies
whites
wrapper
most of this is outer clothing–but there is no reason to leave it at that– when I was 13 or so, boys the same age would tease about "an over the shoulder boulder holder". Is that a local mocking term– or did young boys everywhere tease young girls with the same term?

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Well being male I can only discern five kinds of garment in total... no wait a minute, shoes are different from socks, aren't they? Six then.

To me:-

jumper (what I say) = pullover = sweater = guernsey = jersey;

pants = panties = knickers, but also pants = trousers;

anorak = parka;

vest = singlet (I say both indifferently), but also aware that vest = waistcoat;

suspenders = braces, but also suspenders = the antique stud-on-elastic thing that attached stockings to some kind of female undergarment and that I don't know another synonym for;

cape = cloak;

off-the-shoulder boulder-holder = gownless evening-strap

and about half the words on your list are unidentifiable to me (ascot, bubuska, cat suit, clam digger, dresser, floods, gators, jump suit, knee highs, models coat, monkey suit, mukluk, muscle shirt, pea coat, romper, serape, shirtwaist, shrug, slicker, stocks, sun suit, sweats, union suits, whites, wrapper).

And if that seems to cut down the possibilities a bit, I have to confess I'm sitting here in a lap-lap and woad.

X
X
I noticed a few that were not on your list.

bloomers is what my Grandmother wore instead of underwear. My dad wears (says) bloomers also, but only if he's trying to embarrass one of the kids in front of our friends.

boxers are underwear for men and pajamas for women.

a poncho is a big square cloth with a hole in the middle for your head. my mom is the only person I know who LOVES ponchos.

you mentioned flannels. are they pajamas? I have flannel pajamas. I also have a type of shirt made of flannel that I simply refer to as a flannel.

is a hadnkerchief the same a s a kerchief? Seems as if I remember hearing kerchief in old movies. I was never sure exactly what they meant. my dictionary says a kerchief is a head covering, but also says it is a syn. for handkerchief. my dad used to carry a handkerchief for blowing his nose. (maybe he had sinus problems? i don't think he does now.) I think ladies might carry a handkerchief if they were expecting to be crying, so that they have something to dry their eyes.

a petticoat and a slip are similar items. the slip is worn under a dress or skirt to keep it from clinging to your legs. a petticoat is fuller to make the dress stand out more. When i was younger i square danced and clogged. we wore petticoats under our dresses. we also wore pettipants which were ruffled undergarments somewhere between shorts and underpants which are meant to be seen when you twirl around and your skirt flies out.

>>>every one will know and agree on this- and then thought again, and realize some of these things might not be known to jazz or nemo or xara<<<

quite right. there are many of your words which I haven't the foggiest idea what they might mean.

H
addict
addict
H
How about slacks? Strikes me as the kind of word that might not translate well to other Anglophone nations.

Are clam diggers pants that only go to above the ankle? If so, we always used to call them high-waters (because in a flood you'd keep your pants dry...).

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
High waters would be floods to me
(What is there a flood? = why are your pants/trousers so short?)

Clam diggers came to just below the knee-- but the same idea-- you could walk into the water (and hunt for clams) with out getting hems of pants wet..

B
veteran
veteran
B
off-the-shoulder-boulder-holder
I would have thought this was the garment called, in German, stopsemfromfloppin

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Xara said
In reply to:

a petticoat and a slip are similar items. the slip is worn under a dress or skirt to keep it from clinging to your legs. a petticoat is fuller to make the dress stand out more.

Yes, slips are so passe they need to be defined! women of a "certain age" still wear them.. but would call a petticoat a fancy under skirt-- really meant to be seen (as you indicated), but would if i wanted the skirt of a dress or outfit to stand out (look fuller) i think i would want a crinoline. this is a full/flouncey slip that had netting to make a skirt billow out-- and was horrible itchy--every woman hated them-- and little girls even more so! and a proper young lady would blush if hers was seen!

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
yes-- you got the idea-
> in German, stopsemfromfloppin

I almost missed it--I though at first you where doing serious german!

Oh we are all in for some wet noodle lashing when Jackie gets back from the big city! with any luck, she'll be exhausted, shake her head, and let it all pass...

N
N
In reply to:

when I was 13 or so, boys the same age would tease about "an over the shoulder boulder holder". Is that a local mocking term– or did young boys everywhere tease young girls with the same term?

I happened to be living in New Zealand between the ages of 11 and 13, and the boys who plagued my existence way down there used exactly the same phrase, even though "boulder" was rather hyperbolic at the time (and, sadly, still is)

#14532 01/04/01 02:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zild, huh? And you are now living in the Uttermost West (and perhaps even the Undying Lands which means you are not of Numenor). Makes a change from the Uttermost East, I guess. Very informative, Nemo. Where (not in Middle-Earth) is the place you call Tol Eressea?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 414 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith