About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144824 07/06/05 12:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Encountered tatterdemalion in my readings today. Not familiar with the word I, of course, hurried to http://OneLook.com and found it to mean ragamuffin, a person in tattered clothing. The interesting thing is the etymology is given as origin unknown. Except for the Pocket OE which says tatter is, of course, the root, but that the "ending is unexplained."

demalion

Any theories?

#144825 07/06/05 04:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#144826 07/06/05 02:59 PM
Whitman O'Neil,

It has always been my understanding that tatterdemalion was a lively, rattling, machine-gun word, one chosen by many writers as suitable accompaniment to invective or disparagement. Here’s Lady Wishfort, in William Congreve’s play The Way of the World: “Frippery? Superannuated frippery? I’ll frippery the villain; I’ll reduce him to frippery and rags, a tatterdemalion!”. Or James Joyce, in full flow in Ulysses: “Florry Talbot, a blond feeble goosefat whore in a tatterdemalion gown of mildewed strawberry, lolls spreadeagle in the sofa corner, her limp forearm pendent over the bolster, listening”.

But where it comes from is open to argument. The first part seems pretty certain to be our English tatter. Some writers trace the second bit to the French maillon, swaddling clothes. Others say it comes from the Italian maglia for undershirt or (British English) vest. Support for this comes from the very earliest use, by Ben Jonson in 1611, which he spelt as tatter-de-mallian, reportedly said as though it were Italian.

But to double check I went to my favorite etymology site and they gave me this:

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary
In reply to:

tatterdemalion
"ragged child, person dressed in old clothes," 1608, probably from tatter, with fantastic second element, but perhaps also suggested by Tartar, with a contemporary sense of "vagabond, gypsy."

But when I pulled out my 1913 Webster's Dictionary I got this:

In reply to:

Definition: \Tat`ter*de*mal"ion\, n. [Tatter + OF.
desmaillier to break the meshes of, to tear: cf. OF. maillon
long clothes, swadding clothes, F. maillot. See {Tatter}, and
{Mail} armor.]
A ragged fellow; a ragamuffin. --L'Estrange.

So I guess the truth of it is that no one knows.

Rev. Alimae

Rev. Alimae
#144827 07/09/05 09:54 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Some writers trace the second bit ... So I guess the truth of it is that no one knows.

Good lead, Rev. Alimae.

I see "tatterdemalion" was Dictionary.com's "Word of the Day for Monday October 15, 2001"

Tatterdemalion derives from tatter + -demalion, of unknown origin, though perhaps from Old French maillon, "long clothes, swadding clothes" or Italian maglia, "undershirt."

http://snipurl.com/g4wl

This "demalion" root could serve as a good building block for some new words.

How about "hiphopdemalion" or "funkydemalion" or "trampydemalion" or "trendydemailon" or "glitterdemalion"?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 725 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith