Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144540 06/27/05 06:57 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
My great grandchildren have it all over me!!! They know three English words that end in "gry". I can only get two: hungry & angry. Anybody know the third one?

#144541 06/27/05 07:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, Casey. They're pulling your leg. This riddle is valid if it's written the right way....

#144542 06/27/05 07:58 PM
Check it out here: http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_gry_angry_hungry.html

AnnaS - short enough URL? I don't know the 'short-url' technique...

#144543 06/27/05 08:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh, I feel so much better now.

thanks, R.

and I use http://tinyurl.com/

formerly known as etaoin...
#144544 06/27/05 10:11 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Thanx all. As a fan of Abbott & Costello (who's on first etc.) I really should have caught on!!!

#144545 06/27/05 10:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this led to another of our "arbitrary rules" which cause so much angst for some. when an URL reaches a length greater than the width of the standard message space, it results in a horizontal scroll bar and all of the posts in the thread become that width, making it all kind of a bother to read, scrolling back and forth.

and so the arbitrary rule (actually it's just a guideline since we can't enforce it) is that should you have a long URL you should submit it to snipurl.com or tinyurl.com.

note that your url wasn't all that long this time, Rm. you can tell when you've transgressed this rule by looking for the scrollbar at the bottom of the page. another way to cause this is by typing in one of those 1000-letter proteins.

#144546 06/28/05 11:53 AM
C
C
short enough URL? I don't know the 'short-url' technique...

Splitting the url in two doesn't always work, Rainmaker. In fact, it never works for me.

The easiest, infallible solution [as tsuwm has said]:

Copy the url [using "Edit"] and then go to www.snipurl.com.

You will find that you don't even need to paste the url into the abbreviation box on the homepage of snipurl.com. [I have no idea how snipurl.com performs this magic.]

Just click the button and "Presto", your abbreviated url appears. Then copy and past the new url into your post here.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(see heading) we don't often talk about!
of course--tsuwm comment:
when an URL reaches a length greater than the width of the standard message space, it results in a horizontal scroll bar and all of the posts in the thread become that width, making it all kind of a bother to read, scrolling back and forth.

is so vague and incomplete! the message window size depends on your monitor, your settings, and you default window size.

Now in a perfect world, every one would have a 26 flat screen monitor, and every one would have perfect vision (and a single resolution size for the monitor) and everyone would have the same size default window for their browser.--Oh to live in a perfect world!

reality is, some of us have 13 inch monitors.. (and some have 26)--and all of us use a different resolution, and different browsers, and different window sizes.. and ..well.
--any Url over 50 characters is getting long.. 60 to 70 characters is the limit for small monitor users.
sample of 60 character length--

and the same differences about monitors also are true with our access; some still have dial up; and pay a 'land line use' fee for every minute they are on line and some of us have DSL and some have cable connections, and some have network access and even faster connections.

So when we respond in threaded mode, its easier to keep track of 'conversation thread' --since there are often multiple threads of conversation going on at once-- if a word or two from the post we are resonding to is include in the new post. --this is ignored if we are responding to last post in a thread.

Many of us have evolved into a 'protocal' of "read flat" --which is how i read each thread--
but respond 'threaded' (this post is a 'continuation' of tsuwm's, and if you toggle into the threaded mode, you can see that.)

--To make it easier to read flat--i have included a quote (and we almost never use the quote code) and highlighted it in a color blue, for example, to help everyone follow the 'thread of my conversation'

(red is the shortest color name to type, but blue is the prefered for quotes--lazyness.. (green is 2 extra keystrokes!)

there are no 'rules' about what color you should use. but red always seems like a correction.(and its used to note edits for just that reason!) If you want to color quotes green or purple, or some other color, (even Yellow!) you can. but all those extra key strokes add up!

there are links to discussion about all these 'non-rule' rules in the I & A section. they exist just to make it easier for everyone to understand what is going on.. (and to prevent misunderstandings)

in one of the I & A thread, Jackie made the point that a place like this is like a place of employment.. when you first come here, you enter a place where many people 'know' each other, and there are many 'insider' jokes that you don't understand at first.. but eventually, you catch on, and you too, become an insider..

But right from the first, you have every right to be here and to join in. and once you do, all the insiders will treat you as an insider too--just as they usually do at work.

there are several links in I & A that are recommended for newcomers. but like the FAQ, they are not required (just recommended) reading.

no one has to follow the generally established protocals. they are just that--general established -if you know better ways to navigate, or to increase the general clarity here.. well, let us know. If your idea is generally percieved as better, it will catch on.. if not, it won't!

and if you have a personal style differs, we'll get used to it.
one poster generally uses *(word)* instead of the bold command (*(word)* works as bold in most Word Processing programs to bold a word.) Most of us don't follow this style.. but no one objects.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
But sometimes, some of us post in green just because it's such a pretty color [halo emoticon]

#144549 06/28/05 03:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't use blue because I'm lazy, Helen. (That is, I AM lazy, but that has nothing to do with this!) I use blue most often simply because it's my favorite color. Occasionally I slip off and use the others, for varying reasons. If I use red it's usually to call attention to something.

I have been a little afraid of doing this for fear of being chastised for promoting a commercial site, but I'll go ahead now. It is, after all, a freebie. It's a handy little gadget called Typeitin: you can program your own personalized buttons, so that with two clicks (one to bring up the program, the other to "push" the button), you can have, as I do, any of the color codes appear wherever your cursor is.
http://www.wavget.com/typeitin.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 739 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith