Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
ilanger Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I

Hopefully, someone can help me.
Bulimia (overeating) is derived from "bous" = cow, and "limos" = hunger.
Question: is there at least one other word that has some part of "limos" in
it?
I've asked others, but no one can help; so I'm turning to you.
Thank you in advance.

I. Langer

C
C
Dictionary.com Limosis

n. [NL., fr. Gr. limo`s hunger.] (Med.) A ravenous appetite caused by disease; excessive and morbid hunger.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
welcome, I.

my search at OneLook (using limos* and limo*) turns up mostly references to a stretch limo...

sorry I'm not much help.

formerly known as etaoin...
I
ilanger Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Great. Now I'm really confused. What would you think is the difference between BULIMIA and LIMOSIS?

Is there a doctor in the house?

I.L.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To answer your second question, ilanger, Bulimia describes an unfortunately all-too-common disease characterized by eating and purging. The other word has no currency that I'm aware of. We do have some doctors in the house, as well as some keen etymologists. Hang on to your hat; they'll be around sooner or later.

C
C
What would you think is the difference between BULIMIA and LIMOSIS?

As ASp has said, bulimia is characterized by "eating and purging", presumably to maintain a lean figure [which is never lean enough, of course].

Limosis is simply an morbid desire to eat, presumably without the morbid desire to lose the weight.

If I am right about this, those suffering from Limosis would be overweight, those from Bulimia would be gaunt.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Plugging *limia into onelook.com gives three other words, coitolimia, tragolimia, and xenolimia. All three are in the Glossary of Unusual Sexual Practices.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> tragolimia

They call that "beer" in Wales.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"beer"

How'd the old C&W song go? "You're lookin' better every beer."

Question: is there at least one other word that has some part of "limos" in it?

The following is just some of the information that I have, gained mainly from my greek mythology love as well as from my encyclopidea Britanica.

bulimia (bu·lim·ia) (bu-lim˘e-[schwa]) [L.; Gr. bous ox + limos hunger] episodic binge eating usually followed by behavior designed to negate the excessive caloric intake, most commonly purging behaviors such as self-induced vomiting or laxative abuse but sometimes other methods such as excessive exercise or fasting. While it is usually associated with b. nervosa, it may also occur in other disorders, such as anorexia nervosa.

limosis (li·mo·sis) (li-mo˘sis) [Gr. limos hunger] abnormal hunger.

According to Greek Mythology:

Greek: LimoV
Transliteration: Limos
Translation: Hunger, Famine Latin
Spelling: Limus
Roman Name: Fames

LIMOS was the personification of hunger, famine and starvation. His/her opposite number was Demeter.

Parents
ERIS (no father) (Theogony 226)
"Abhorred Eris bare ... Limos (Starvation), and the Algea (Pains), full of weeping." –Theogony 226

"Work on, so that Limos (Famine) will avoid you and august and garlanded Demeter will be you friend, and fill your barn with substance of living; Limos (Famine) is the unworking man's most constant companion." -Works and Days 299-303

"A punishment she [Demeter] planned most piteous, were pity not made forfeit by his deed - Fames (Hunger) [Limos] to rack and rend him; and because Demeter and Fames (Hunger) - so the Fates decree - may never meet, she charged a mountain sprite, a rustic Oread, to take her message.
'There is a place', she said, 'a freezing barren place, .. a land of gloom, sad barren soil with never crop nor tree; this is the numb wan home of Cold and Ague and starving Fames (Hunger); go bid Fames sink deep in the belly of that impious wretch, and let no plenty ever vanquish her, nor strength of mine [i.e. food] prevail against her dearth.' ..

[The Oread] set out in search of Fames (Hunger) and found her in a stubborn stony field, grubbing with nails and teeth the scanty weeds. Her hair was coarse, her face sallow, her eyes sunken; her lips crusted and white; her throat scaly with scurf. Her parchment skin revealed the bowels within; beneath her hollow loins jutted her withered hips; her sagging breasts seemed hardly fastened to her ribs; her stomach only a void; her joints wasted and huge, her knees like balls, her ankles grossly swollen.

Eyeing her from a distance, fearing to go closer, the Nympha gave her the goddess' orders and hardly waiting, though some way away, though just arrived, she felt, or seemed to feel, Hunger ..

Fames did Demeter's bidding, though their aims are ever opposite, and, wafted down the wind, reached the king's palace and at once entered the scoundrel's room and, as he slept, wrapped him in her arms and breathed upon him, filling with herself his mouth and throat and lungs, and channelled through his hollow veins her craving emptiness; then, duty done, quitting the fertile earth, returned to her bleak home, her caves of dearth ..

When he [the king] woke, and peace had fled, a furious appetite reigned in his ravenous throat and burning belly.

At once whatever sea or land or air can furnish he demands, and when the board groans he complains he's starving; while he feasts calls for more courses; more he crams his guts, the more he craves." -Metamorphoses 8.791

Sources:

Hesiod, Theogony - Greek Epic C8th-7th BC
Hesiod, Works and Days - Greek Epic C8th-7th BC
Ovid, Metamorphoses - Latin Epic C1st BC - C1st AD

Other words would consist of limos:
dearth, famine, hunger, famines

Hope this helps even a little.

Blessings to you,

Rev. Alimae

Rev. Alimae
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 574 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith