Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
This little gem arrived in my Hotmail this morning, and I just could not resist the urge to share it, with polyglots and gutter-dwellers alike. It is one of the funniest of its kind that I have seen in quite some time:
"It takes a virile man to make a chicken pregnant."

- Perdue chicken ad, as mistranslated abroad

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the rest of the 'story'

Chicken-man Frank Perdue's slogan, "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken," got terribly mangled in
another Spanish translation. A photo of Perdue with one of his birds appeared on billboards all over Mexico with a
caption that explained "It takes a hard man to make a chicken aroused." Elsewhere, the slogan was translated into, "It takes a virile man to make a chicken pregnant."

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks, tsuwm - I got the snippet in a "Stupid Quotes" mailing, devoid of any context. I was left wondering how the phrase had been created. The story you relate reminds me that I haven't been to a "translation" site for fun in far too long. Cheers

H
addict
addict
H
It's a funny one, but I can't think of any Spanish words for tender that come anywhere close to any of the words for aroused, much less pregnant. May be a bit of web apocrypha.

A funny (and old) one I do believe to be true, the Chevy Nova marketed in Mexico, where "no va" means "it doesn't go."

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Thanks MaxQ and tsuwm. Too funny.

We also have had problems with non-translations. Pert shampoo was initially marketed under the same name here. Well it didn’t sell very well since "pert" in French means lose. Not a name any gentleman wants associated with his hair.

#14409 01/03/01 10:29 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N

From _Business Mexico_, June, 1993

[...]

The most often cited auto blunder is the Chevrolet Nova (the phrase "No va" translates in Spanish as "It doesn't go") which General Motors wanted to bring into Mexico in the early 1970s. Although GM's Mexican managers were worried about the name, Nova was indeed used.

"They kept the name and it sold very well," says marketing analyst Cecilia Bouleau, who disputes the conventional wisdom surrounding the moniker. "It's the same thing with Nova gasoline. I think that the word is sufficiently incorporated into the language as meaning 'new' -- as in 'bossa nova' -- that the criticism isn't valid."

Bouleau goes on to say that a strong ad campaign can counter an apparent weakness that a brand name may carry across an international border. "One thing that never ceases to surprise me is how Coca-Cola has never had a problem (in Latin America). 'Coca' has drug connotations and 'Cola' means 'tail' -- yet no-one thinks the worse of it."

-- From http://www.urbanlegends.com, pre-emptively. It is widely but mistakenly believed that the Nova was a failure because of its name.

#14410 01/03/01 04:35 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Thanks for the rest of the story, Seńor W.

J
J
> "It takes a virile man to make a chicken pregnant."

I knew there must be an explanation for this red comb my wife wears ...

> It's a funny one, but I can't think of any Spanish words for tender that come anywhere close to any of the words for aroused, much less pregnant. May be a bit of web apocrypha.

I think it can be explained. Tender in its first sense can be translated to Spanish as “tierno” as in “Love me tender” or in “tender beef” with no problem at all. But there is a difference in its verbal form so to make tender shouldn’t be translated as “poner tierno” but as “enternecer” because “poner tierno” can be used locally as to arouse or even as to get drunk.

I remember when I was a kid, some eons ago, there used to be “Avery” brand coin-operated scales in most shopping centers. Well, I never dared inserting a coin in any of those scales because “averia” is the Spanish word for failure and I supposed that this “Avery” sign was an “Out of order” sign.

Juan Maria.

G
old hand
old hand
G
Pert shampoo was initially marketed under the same name here. Well it
didn’t sell very well since "pert" in French means lose.

So how come Americans try to get rid of merchandise by declaring, "sale," when, if memory serves rightly, that means "dirty" in French? Truth in advertising, perhaps?

G
old hand
old hand
G
We also have had problems with non-translations. Pert shampoo was initially marketed under the same name here. Well it
didn’t sell very well since "pert" in French means lose. Not a name any gentleman wants associated with his hair.

How about the truly moronic name for a depilitory being marketed in the US called, "Nads?" Aren't these idiots aware that that's slang for "gonads?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 704 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith