Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
in Anu's post, he mentions the term pad (from the dutch for path) as shairing a root with other words (tread, etc)

here in NYC if you walk around indoors barefoot, or with only socks on, you are padding..(around the house)

is this use common else where? or is it another sneeky little dutch word that is part of the NYC/NYS lexicon?

(i always pad around the house.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We pad about the pad here too, Helen, but not about the paddock. I have it on good authority that they do it in Padua as well as in Paducah.

Our Irish cat, Paddie, pads about the pad on his pads.

If you think I am padding this, you are absolutely correct. You get a pad on the back.

TEd
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Padding around means shoeless here - but not necessarily barefoot, you can be in socks.

B
addict
addict
B
I've always associated 'padding around' with (relatively) noiseless steps and assumed it came from 'pad' for animal paws.
So theoretically it would be possible to pad around in ballet slippers or the equivalent, which I guess is why Bel thinks (like me) that you can wear socks and still pad.

...irrelevant thought from association with sneaking up on prey / padding around silently like a thief / socks vs bare feet: - are toeprints as unique as fingerprints? I would assume so. Have they ever been used in crime suspect identification?

D
D
I’ve never heard the word ‘pad’ used in that sense. Here, one ‘walks around the house barefooted’. If one is wearing socks, one ‘walks around the house in a pair of socks’.

No syllable conservationists, we – at least when it comes to footwear (or the lack thereof) when ambulating in the domicile.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
i included socks --shoelessness/soft walking, is the essence of padding..

and i checked some dictionaries.. the american ones all had one meaning of padding as 'walking softly, or shoeless, indoors' but not all the UK ones did..

i wonder if its a dutch term that has spread up and down the east coast, (like stoops--which exist in boston and baltimore) or if its english and just fallen out of favor (like fall, the season) and lives on in the americas.

i suspect toe print are as unique as fingerprints.. babies are regularly 'foot printed' in hospitals as means of identity. the lines and wrinkles of their tiny feet are each unique. (and i think there was a CSI show that utilized toe prints too.. )

D
D
like stoops--which exist in boston and baltimore

Oddly enough, I have heard the word ‘stoop’ used somewhere around here – not very often, though. Of course, the word commonly used in these parts is, ‘steps’.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
D there are 8 million or so NYCer's now, and we have been losing population for the past 20 years.. they must have gone somewhere! no doubt is is just one of the dispora of NYers you heard.

stoop--is just a dutch word for steps (a few steps, a staircase is (or was) trap--and in NYC area, 'stepped granite' (like the famous devils staircase in northern island) is called 'trap rock' --the western edge of the hudson (ie, the NJ side) has miles of it. not a pretty at the devils staircase--(i don't think it ever was) but its also been mined --up until the 1930's or so.

NYC retains a lot of ducth terms that have come into everyday speach, and many dutch place names.. but the dutha are appalled at how we mangle the names with our english pronounciations. (there was a thread... )

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Don't forget pitty-pat.

E
addict
addict
E
I just say "going barefoot" - I, too, would use "padding" to mean "walking silently". If I have my socks on, I refer to it as being "in sock feet" or "stocking feet" - as in "would you get another log, sweetie, I'm in sock feet". My cats, of course, are always padding around in their stalking feet....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith