OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
A beta search engine

http://scholar.google.com/

#141882 04/11/05 01:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not sure what's beta about it--it looks normal to me. (Beta means experimental, right?) Anyway, I asked it to Search for Hawking, and only had a clue to two of the first six entry explanations. The other four:
One can evaluate the action for a gravitational field on a section of the
complexified spacetime which avoids the singularities.
The quantum state of a spatially closed universe can be described by a wave
function which is a functional on the geometries of compact three-manifolds ...
The development of irregularities in a single bubble inflationary universe
Zeta function regularization of path integrals in curved spacetime

Suddenly I feel very stupid...

#141883 04/11/05 04:44 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Jackie

Beta means it's in development and not ready for general release. But I say it's beta because they say it's beta, and to explain why I would post it.

#141884 04/11/05 05:36 PM
veteran
veteran

alpha and beta release, also called pre-releases, usually come with even fewer guarrantees of worthiness than exist in officially released software. Usually alpha and beta releases of a program are free with the agreement that any bugs found by the user will be reported to the producer.

Despite the movement towards mathematically provable software, there is a realization among most developers that when a system is 'sufficiently complex', they can't reasonably test all of the possible things that could go wrong. And so they release it to the general public - or those among them who are willing to undergo a bit of risk.

Usually the risk is not that great. Software breaks. Reboot required. In some very rare cases, there might be gradual corruption of databases in a way that cannot be readily detected until well after the last good backups have been overwritten. Well, that's the potential anyway - but I've never seen or known it to occur. Usually when beta stuff breaks, it's not even a nuisance.

I used to get daily irritated with MS until I just learned to think of every version of their OS as being alpha, even though I payed for the software. It has the reliability and security of most other alpha software that I'm familiar with.

#141885 04/11/05 06:31 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
<<I used to get daily irritated with MS until I just learned to think of every version of their OS as being alpha, even though I payed for the software.>>

And this seems to have been built in to their marketing/development strategy of XP, going through Win2k; as also seems very much to have been the case with Apple's development of OSX through the current version. Economics may dictate these board room decisions, but the expense to the consumer can be annoying, and I'm sure there is a good amount of hand wringing done about how much the consumer can be made to pay these development costs. Or so I surmise.

#141886 04/12/05 05:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Despite the movement towards mathematically provable software, there is a realization among most developers that when a system is 'sufficiently complex', they can't reasonably test all of the possible things that could go wrong.

rant/ I offer that they were just too lazy/complacent to test it along the way and are primarily driven by the rewards forthcoming and not by the "product". Complexities are exactly what testing is all about. It's a wonderful ball of corporate mentality that continues to roll when the consumer is trained by the "product". / the rant never ends...

#141887 04/12/05 11:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
x I offer that they were just too lazy

Or either that or the salesmen had already sold 10,000 copies of it, one.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith