veteran
T

"I feel, at last, that I have had my say."

Well, I haven't.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
>...even if Arsenil do seem to currently owe more to France than Blighty (mentioning no specific cup ties, of course) ;)

I have it on good authority that Max concurs. There is a NZer playing in the next cup tie involving that pathetic bunch of losers and has-beens playing out of Highbury. Blackburn Rovers has a NZer in their starting XI.

#141002 03/17/05 07:28 PM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
This is in response to Plutarch's post about "what majority?"
I've been a member for a while, but still a newbie or something because I don't post often. Regardless, I am TIRED of this stuff.

I have never met any of the AWADers in person. I have no knowledge of any "private" or alternate chat room or board that any AWADers might use.

I am without great esteem or respect here because I haven't yet earned any, although I don't feel DIS-respected or UN-esteemed. I expect that my low-profile has kept me from being highly regarded, and on the other hand, not badly regarded. That's OK with me - I participate as and when I can.

But I do get very tired of the long, legalistic posts. I get extremely tired of the fighting and contention. I've said it before: I have enough in my life to make me tired and sad. Don't we all, if we take in the news and live our lives in the world? Why would I come here just to get more of the same stuff I can see ANYWHERE ELSE!>?????!!

So sue me.

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? -Ursula K. Le Guin, author (1929- )
#141003 03/17/05 07:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Leslie:

Nah. How about a big hug instead of a lawsuit?

Anyway, have you met Of Troy? She's our resident expert on knitting and all things having to do with cordage, weaving, etc. Neat lady.

I don't know if anyone has welcomed you before, but, for myself, WELCOME!!!

TEd

TEd
#141004 03/17/05 08:04 PM
B
addict
addict
B
[bold]‘cup tie’, meaning a competition with a cup as the reward for the winner[/bold]

dxb, I don't quote agree with this meaning, I'm afraid.

I think a 'tie' in the context you mean is one contest between two teams, rather than the whole competition, which is made up of a collection of ties. So one match in one round with two teams playing. This suits both FA Cup usage and the Davis Cup usage others have mentioned.
I think the other thing about 'tie' in this context is that a tie tends to be a standalone 'event' with its own date and attendance etc. So one match in a Wimbledon tournament doesn't, to me, feel like a tie as it is not separate enough. (At least until we get to quarter-finals etc, and they have their own words already!!) Also it doesn't involve 'teams' as such - although I concede doubles could be considered teams, at a stretch.

I think it is totally different from a 'meet' or 'competition' as I think by definition these have more than two teams involved and a 'tie' has two and only two.

As for whence it comes, sorry, cannot help!

#141005 03/17/05 11:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> one contest between two teams, rather than the whole competition

I agree with your remarks, oh bountiful one ;)

To have a stab at your underlying question, dixbie, I’d say the sense comes from the equalising effect of the ‘drawn-by-lots’ mechanism – tied together, to be split apart by the sudden death playoff. This sense evidently goes back to at least the 17th century:

tie (n.)
"that with which anything is tied," O.E. teag, from P.Gmc. *taugo (cf. O.N. taug "tie," tygill "string"), from PIE *deuk- "to pull, to lead" (cf. O.E. teon "to draw, pull, drag;" see duke). Fig. sense is recorded from 1555. Meaning "equality between competitors" is first found 1680, from notion of a connecting link (tie-breaker is recorded from 1961). Sense of "necktie, cravat" first recorded 1761. The railway sense of "transverse sleeper" is from 1857, Amer.Eng. The verb is from O.E. tigan, tiegan. In the noun sense of "connection," tie-in dates from 1934. Tie-dye first attested 1904. Tie one on "get drunk" is recorded from 1951.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=tie&searchmode=term

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith