Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#140980 03/15/05 02:53 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
because yours suck

Well, now, perhaps, we're getting at the real reason why Jackie is seeking to ban my limericks in Q & A.

Because they "suck", as you put it, ASp.

Well, let us say they do "suck". But let us also say that the author of a limerick is making a sincere and well-intentioned attempt to answer a question or provide a little information while having a little harmless fun at the same time. And let's say a few people, like yourself and Of Troy, and perhaps, Jackie, do not admire the quality of the limerick. Perhaps its rhyme or meter is imperfect, although its content is impeccable. Is that a reason to ban the limerick, ASp?

If it is, then we should also ban misspellings in Q & A, and fractured english as well. Some people find that kind of expression off-putting, even more off-putting than an imperfect rhyme. [I hasten to add, I am not one of those people. Speaking for myself alone, I am only interested in the substance of a post, if it's sincere, not its form or style, just substance.]

Or maybe we should ban gratuitously rude and insulting and degrading and disruptive, inflammatory remarks in Q & A. That would really be something, wouldn't it?

If Jackie were to do that, ASp, Q & A would become a blissful sanctuary for me. And perhaps for others as well. :)

Does that sound like a deal, ASP?

#140981 03/15/05 03:28 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Will the real moderator around here please step forward.

Dear ASp: I assume that one of you three, either Jackie or yourself or Of Troy, or perhaps all three of you together, has been officially installed by Anu as the new moderator around here with arbitrary powers to censor people like me who disquiet you, for whatever reason.

If any one of you have been formally and officially invested with such powers, please let me know and I will be your obedient servant and accept you arbitrary edict without further ado.

But, if none of you has been invested with these extraordinary powers, please do us all the kindness of sending me your thoughts in a PM and I will seriously consider your arguments if they are framed respectfully with actual reasons, not irrational bias, to support them.

#140982 03/15/05 03:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
perhaps, we're getting at the real reason why Jackie is seeking to ban my limericks in Q & A. Nope; quality has nothing to do with it; it's the fact of their being here.
AND, I wasn't trying to "ban" them: I was asking that they not be posted here.

I am reminded of a certain young boy I used to know who very rarely did the chores that he knew he was supposed to do--and subsequently would complain long and loudly about getting yelled at, as though it were a big surprise to him that he got in trouble.
So now I am wondering why, when grown people persist in doing something again and again that they know will be unwelcome, do they subsequently complain about being unpopular? And I am not talking about just one person.

Edit: just read the suggestion about taking this to PM. Excellent idea. dixbie, I apologise for my part in corrupting your thread.

#140983 03/15/05 03:44 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Nope; quality has nothing to do with it; it's the fact of their being here.

Well, thank you, Jackie. I'm glad to know that your ban was based on some principle which you think justifies an abridgement of free speech.

May I know what that principle is, Jackie?

We can all agree that "hate" language should be banned in Q & A and everywhere, other than the "hate" language which ASp and Of Troy use against me whenever it suits them*.

But, on what principle do you justify a ban on harmless limericks in Q & A, specifically, limericks which provide relevant and useful information in response to a question or an invitation for discussion?

Saying such limericks do not belong here, Jackie, is not a reason -- unless you are now the official, fully authorized Board moderator around here.

If Anu has invested you with such powers, Jackie, then you don't need reasons.

So, please tell me -- as well as anyone else who doesn't know what your official powers are in the wake of the petition I've heard about -- do you have these official arbitrary powers, or not?

That is certainly a fair question, is it not?

* Surely, it has escaped no-one's notice, Jackie, that you never hesitate to raise your eyebrow at my peccadillos, if they are even that, whilst turning a blind eye, over and over and over again, to the bellicosities of ASp and Of Troy, bellicosities which throw this Board into senseless turmoil over and over and over again, just as they are doing once again now [with your disapproving eyebrow once again arched at me, not at them].

#140984 03/15/05 05:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh so its bellicose to react to unending torment?

and tormenting? that? that's harmless fun.or so you say.

even when i say, hey its no fun, (quitely) your responce is, people like them. oh yeah, sure. people love screaming brats in the mall too, (and say to themselves thank god i don't have to go home with that spoiled nasty child.)

but i guess someone loves them.

and yes, you're right, you have every right to behave like a boor (aliteration--a boring boor)
and i haven't signed the petition to increase jackies powers. because as much as i want you gone, i am leary.

what i would like is:
limericks for the most part (ie 99% of the time) confined to word play and fun. not gone, not banished, just in their place.
i would also like not to be adressed familiarly by you, (but i doubt that will be respected)
i would like not to have words or thoughts or beliefs attributed to me (by you especially)

is that bellacose?

i don't tell others what you think
i do tell you what i think

i don't persist in behaving in a way that annoys and alienates others.
i think you do.
others who thought the same, no longer post here. so i could be wrong, but others have clearly agreed with me, to the point of voting with their feet. and they have publicly posted that your posts, your behavior was the reason for their departure.
i think its very rude to annoy, insult and pester, and to drive posters away from this site, and then claim all the rude behavior is others faults!

bellacose is war like. i am not the aggressor. i am fighting, (and often fighting mad) but i am often reacting. and i have been called to task, and i have apologied. and edited posts. i don't act defient all the time.

i think you do.
Jackie is not making a rule, but echoing others complaints. the limericks are annoying.
they are a cute trick done well, and ugly when done poorly, and tiresome when done endlessly.

#140985 03/15/05 06:04 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Jackie is not making a rule, but echoing others complaints

I haven't heard any "complaints", Of Troy. I have received some compliments on my limericks in Q&A [which happen to total 3, somewhat shy of "endless", even you will agree].

I have also heard some diatribes calculated to throw this Board into senseless turmoil once again. But I don't regard those malacious incitements as "complaints", Of Troy.

Why do I say your bellicosities are "calculated" to throw this Board into senseless turmoil? Because you and ASp do it every time, and it works every time, Of Troy.

Every time you and ASp, usually acting in tandem, attack me without provocation with insults and malicious innuendos, traffic to the Board plummets in the wake, even when I totally ignore your insults.

You want chapter and verse on this, Of Troy. You and ASp did it on the "skookum" thread. You did it with your gratuitous "throwing pearls to pigs" insult on my "pedology" thread, ASp did it on my daily comment on Anu's daily AWAD a few weeks ago, and then again on my "Signing-off with Courage" post last Thursday.

And you and ASp both invaded my "Golden Rule" post about "doing unto others" by greeting a vulgar joke about "golden showers" with rave reviews. [As I recall, you shared with us your witticism "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining".]

Do you really think anyone enjoys reading your hateful and incessant diatribes more than they enjoy reading my imperfect limericks, Of Troy?

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Most of this discussion seems to be focussed on tennis, but the phrase "cup tie" is also widely used in English football, which most definitely did NOT originate in the monasteries of France.

N
addict
addict
N
Bless you, Vernon, for dragging us back on track.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> English football, which most definitely did NOT originate in the monasteries of France.

...even if Arsenil do seem to currently owe more to France than Blighty (mentioning no specific cup ties, of course) ;)

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"...was I sleeping when it passed?"

Delightful. Glad I was awake to see it.

And dxb, I am one, I think, with faldage meaning, saw nor heard its passing.

And Faldage, I think I rather your smithy name as adjective.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 679 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith