#14062 01/11/01 10:56 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>have we established there is indeed a "once-only 'ou' " rule

Sounds plausible. [knowing wink emoticon]

On the subject of colonies. It is allowable, amongst consenting adults, to refer to the parts of Britian furthermost from the capital as the "provinces". I think, like colonies, in the right company, it isn't an insult, just an "in joke" amongst us provincial types. The main problem is finding the right company in which to use the term, otherwise the results can be painful! I note that "Antipodean" gets similar results!

#14063 01/11/01 11:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, Jo, for dragging this thread back to its rightful place ['grateful' emoticon]. Stop press! We have established a RULE.

(Having said that, though, don't Brits also refer to soccer - ahem, football - as 'footy"?)

#14064 01/11/01 11:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In reply to:

I note that "Antipodean" gets similar results!

For us Kiwis, and most especially for me, living as I do here: Location: 39'39" South 176'52" East, the ayleur closest to being truly Antipodean is Juanmaria, not the Prisoners of Mother England who coined the phrase, heedless of the geographical innacuracies they lumbered it with. As to being offended, I'm not in the least troubled by the feeble efforts of bottom-dwelling Northerners to make themselves feel better than those of us (CK, Phyllis, stales, etc.) who live up here at the top of the world.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
was, I believe, a game called Camp. The rules varied slightly from town to town but basically two teams of approximately 10-15 players each would form, goals would be set up marked by the cast off garments of the players and the two teams would line up at the center of the field. A disinterested spectator would toss the ball between the two teams and endeavour to make his escape. Goals (called snotches or notches) were gained by running, but not throwing the ball through one's goals. If the ball was wrested from a players grasp his team lost a snotch. One was permitted to throw, but not hand the ball to a less harried teammate. The game was played to some previously agreed upon score, usually about 100 snotches. The ball was about the size of a fast pitch softball (12" circumference). If it was played with a ball the size of a soccer ball it was called Kicking Camp. If played with shoes on it was called Savage Camp.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you know, all this input on various forms of football, soccer, rugby, footy, etc. makes it very clear to me now how (and why) MAD magazine came up with the game of 43-man squamish...

http://www.squamish-net.org/Mad/index.htm

#14067 01/12/01 05:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WHen I was younger, MAD was my kinda magazine. I still sing the Mad words to various songs when they come up - e.g. the Egg Fu Young words to "Oh what a beautiful morning". Or the suggestions for spiffy new national anthems - "Daisy dotes and Dozy dotes and little Abu Dhabi". Spy vs Spy had me in stitches. The little guys running round the edges of the page. Their take on "The Sound of Music". It was several laughs a page.

Yet today it seems to lack something. I don't think the artists are of the same calibre, and it's been "cleaned up" to some extent.

What are your views - if you're interested.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#14068 01/12/01 06:23 AM
P
P
Isn't this the game played by gorgeous hunks wearing abbreviated shorts and cut-away, sleeveless tops? Or is everyone too polite to mention that? (I can see the realtionship with Camp. )

#14069 01/12/01 06:58 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>don't Brits also refer to soccer - ahem, football - as 'footy"?

We sure do. By the way, I see you've been following the "inverted commas" conversation. I see you prefer the "old one-two"! [private wink emoticon]

#14070 01/12/01 07:03 AM
P
P
Definite communication problem here, CK.

A "yappie"? You obviously don't mean "yuppie" and I am grateful for being spared that insult. Could you mean "Japie" (pronounced YAH-pee)? In which case, shame on you! Japie usually denotes an unsophisticated simpleton, a sort of country bumpkin. Even if it's true it's really not nice of you to go broadcasting my failings all over the place.

Of course, I admit there is a sense of "Japie" (used especially by coloureds - we have to say "so-called coloureds" these days) which just means an Afrikaner. (It's used in the same way as "boer" which literally means "farmer" so you can see a connection here!). Even that is somewhat pejorative, like calling somebody a dago or a mick or a polack. And besides, I don't strictly qualify because although I am fair-skinned my first language is English; well, sort of... the local unreasonable facsimile thereof.

But the really baffling part to me is if that is what you meant, what made you deduce from my post that I was a Japie?

As for the "missing permutation", I am totally perplexed. I was referring to the 28 SA doctors in your story who have apparently emigrated to NZ. (At least that's what I thought you said.) And SA has such a dearth of skilled people we can ill afford to supply the world with teachers, doctors, nurses (this is the latest drain; the UK came actively recruiting nurses last year) etc.

Maybe I should just drop the subject I seem to be unintelligible and incapable of understanding others.

#14071 01/12/01 07:17 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>this is the latest drain; the UK came actively recruiting nurses last year

Yep I thought that was a bit strange. I don't know why anyone thinks that if we can't find a way of keeping our own nurses in the profession we should be any better at encouraging nurses trained abroad to stay in UK nursing, let alone stealing them from the country which provided their training (not only SA, I believe). Maybe you are right and I should just drop the subject.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith