Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#139782 02/18/05 07:27 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
I learned something new today. Plutarch started a thread called the Golden Rule and call the quote "do unto others as they'd do unto you" the Golden Rule.

I have a wordy questions so I'll not hyjack his thread (which wouldn't be very polite on my part) and start a new one.

I didn't know that quote was called the Golden Rule. Isn't it a bible quote?

Generally, I've heard the term used to mean "the most important rule of (insert subject here)"

So how did golden rule come about? I've peeped through the internet but seem to be the only one on this planet who can't manage to find what I'm looking for.

Oh wait, I'll try the OneLook thing...I'll get back to you.

#139783 02/18/05 08:19 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
"do unto others as they'd do unto you" .
Matthew 7:12 "Therefore whatever you want others to do for you, do so for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (NAS)
Slightly different than Plutarch's version or the popular "do unto others ...first"

#139784 02/18/05 10:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've heard it referred to as the Golden Rule all my life; quoted as "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
(So much for 1812, Zed! )

#139785 02/18/05 10:15 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well, I found a whole slew of definitions, but not how they came to be called the Golden Rule.

Most seem to refer back to the bible, but that term doesn't appear there apparently, so we decided to call it that. I wonder when. I know that is not what it is called in French Québec.

#139786 02/19/05 12:01 AM
D
D
I couldn’t find anything on how the term ‘Golden Rule’ came about. That’s a good question though. I’d never thought about it before.

Since others have posted the versions of the Golden Rule that they’ve heard, I hope you don’t mind me adding a bit of comparison and contrast.

I recall from my studies of Confucianism in college, that Confucius, or more properly, K'ung fu-tzu, (Grand Master K’ung) had his own version of the Golden Rule: “Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you” (Analects 15:23). Master K’ung’s version (written around 500 BCE) predates Jesus’ more popular version in Matthew 7:12 (written between 40 and 60 CE) by 540 to 560 years.

Although the two versions appear to have the same result, consider that Master K’ung’s version is the passive form of the same concept, “do not do”, and Jesus’ version is the active version “do”. Of course, most would consider this a quibble, but the problem with the active version is that it does not take into account a sadomasochist. With the active version, a person who enjoys inflicting pain, and, more importantly, enjoys receiving pain, is encouraged to inflict pain: “do”. The passive version eliminates this problem: “do not do”.

In writing this, I decided to look up Master K’ung’s version to quote it correctly. In doing so, I found the following site with several “versions” of the Golden Rule:

http://www.unification.net/ws/theme015.htm

Of course, one Golden Rule the site leaves out is: “The one with the gold makes the rules.”

#139787 02/19/05 12:09 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sun Myung Moon's site! Well, I'm not sure the link I posted elsewhere is much better, but since some folks don't visit certain threads, I'll post it again:

http://www.pgf.cc/religion/golden_rule.asp

#139788 02/19/05 12:27 AM
D
D
I didn’t even notice that I had stumbled onto the Reverend’s site! Every Google search is an adventure!

After I sighted your post, I went and saw the site you cited and saw that it cites many more references than the site I first saw.

#139789 02/19/05 12:29 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
so are you excited or sore?

B
addict
addict
B
I've always a) known this sentiment as the Golden Rule and b) thought it was so-called because it was a basic simple rule for behaviour which appears to transcend any one religious/ philosophical culture or background. Analogous with the 'Golden Ratio' in art. (The ratio between any two consecutive numbers in the series 1:1:2:3:5:8:13:22...(each number being the sum of the two previous) - the more precisely you locate this in the ratio, the 'better balanced' the picture.)

I'd be willing to bet (a small amount!) that the preponderance of Biblical references is at least in part a reflection of the 'Anglo' ethnocentricity of the web and many reference sites on it rather than the origin of the sentiment itself.

So why 'golden'? (I couldn't find an origin on the web quickly either!) Well, gold is a valuable thing across a vast number of cultures too - and as an inactive element one of the few metals that occurs naturally looking bright and shiny and attractive. And stays that way. So lots of connotations of good, valuable, true etc. But hey, I'm an amateur, speculating wildly. No sources quoted as I have none!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the golden ratio is usually expressed differently (now my lack of Alevel maths (not to mention further maths) is showing.. but has a greek letter as i recall (like pi=3.1317) and isn't usually expressed as a number? (1.2somthing?or is it 1.637?) -its late, i am old,and i have only read this sort of math for fun, never seriously studied it--so i don't really know it, its just something i dimly remember reading about..

the numbers,(1,1,2,3,5,8,13...) are (lord forgive, for misspelling peoples names) a fibbonocci sequence. --and they values of the sequence can be us used to express golden ratios..
(ie, 3x5 index cards, or 8x (more often 12 rather than the properly sequenced 13) are some common examples of the ratios in every day life.

and there are other ratios--St John Cathedral, (here in NY) had an exhibit on maths, and how humans relate (subconsciously almost) to certain ratios.. and they spoke of the the sacred ratio, (1X2X3 (so a part of the cathedral was 10 wide, 20 long, by 30 high-- (actually, all the different parts of the cathedreal had sacred ratios.. expresed in different ways.. )

it very true though, rooms that are 1:2:3 in ratio, do feel like churches.. (the cloisters, (part of MET) has a romanesque chapel, and it is small, just about 10X20X30, and everyone acts like they are in church.. (museum galleries often are similar in scale and invoke the same hushed sense of church.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 517 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith