#13990 12/30/00 03:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hangi, OUI! Haggis, NON!

#13991 12/30/00 06:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hangi, OUI! Haggis, NON

Why do you think I said, in another thread, that the Scottish influence in Otago is very slight? That was the choice!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#13992 12/31/00 12:33 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I don't know about the clambake idea wow. The last time I went to a clambake the entire meal tasted, well actually gritted, of sand. Give me a big ole pot to cook corn and lobster in anytime.

#13993 12/31/00 02:18 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Poster: belMarduk
I don't know about the clambake idea wow. The last time I went to a clambake the entire meal tasted, well actually gritted, of sand. Give me a big ole pot to cook corn and lobster in anytime.

Dear belM, Please, oh please, tell me you weren't on the New Hampshire or Maine seacoast when you got the gritty lobster and clams ... ... That should NOT happen if "bake" properly prepared.
To be at the beach, the tang of salt in the air, the unique aroma of lobster and clams mingled with fresh-picked corn and new potato; to see the seaweed raked aside, the wonderful succulent contents brought forth .... to sit on a sun-warmed rock and watch the sun go down, and infuse the tastebuds with white lobster meat .... ohmygawd!
[Dreamy emoticon here]
Where, oh where is summer ?
wow
P.S. Lacking summer, I'll take lobster any way I can get it. Fortunately we have a Lobsterman in the family!

#13994 01/02/01 02:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
did i mention i live on top of a huge sand pile? the area behind my house is significantly lower than my property since it was excavated as a sand mine-- So, we'll run over to the Rent-All place and rent a mini back hoe-- dig a pit-- (I have excavated pits in the past for sand when mixing concrete-- I bought some portland cement, and some gravel--but the sand was all my own.) forget the slaves or cheap labor-- we'll do it the modern way... and use mechanical power. and have some lobsters, and beans, and mickies(NY term for ground roast potatoes) and pork and beef, and eel and shrimp.. Jackie can bring up some derby pie--

Years of organic gardening, and compost pits, and spreading organic material-- but my top soil is only 6 inch deep-- and then its sand-- by 10 inch down, pure clean sand!

I have only been at one clam bake (memorable!) and one Baked bean fest (Dummer NH, church fund-raiser) but again– great eating..

And don't worry about customs- they don't jail you, its worse than that! they confiscate all the food!

we have got to make this happen-- if not this year-- next--if not NY then somewhere....

#13995 01/02/01 05:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I salivate every time I read this thread, damn it. Stop it, all of you, at once!

Anyway, WOW said that the luau and the hangi were the same - I can't argue, but I do remember one of my friends who's something of an artiste when it comes to putting down hangis saying, many, many moons ago, that there was some fairly fundamental (fun-but-mental?) difference between the two. FWIW.

In the first of my several lurches in changed career direction, I left school and spent two seasons crayfishing out of Jacksons Bay on the West Coast of the South Island. I was deckhanding for a friend's father. We did very well, and the pay was, relatively speaking, the best I've ever had. The downside was, and still is, that I can't stand lobster/crayfish meat. Silly, isn't it - otherwise I'm one of the biggest seafood fans around. I used to catch terahiki and cod with shortish longlines on our way back from checking the pots to catch something to eat ... There were Pacific oysters on the rocks not far from where our boat was moored and mussels as big as your fist - all for the picking up. They're probably still there, although the crayfish are much harder to come by now.

Jackson's Bay is pretty isolated and we used to have some pretty wild parties which I'll call "clambakes" but which, um, well, were emphatically less well organised and much more, er, yes.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>Jackson's Bay is pretty isolated and we used to have some pretty wild parties which I'll call "clambakes" but which, um, well, were emphatically less well organised and much more, er, yes.

Hold on there Cap. Aren't all fishing boats manned by men? Do I HAVE to bring up the ole partner thread again .

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bel crowed: Hold on there Cap. Aren't all fishing boats manned by men? Do I HAVE to bring up the ole partner thread again.

It wasn't that isolated! "Isolated" meant 130 miles from the nearest pub at the time. Only 30 now, so I guess it ain't so isolated ...

#13998 01/04/01 02:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> "Isolated" meant 130 miles from the nearest pub at the time.

130 miles? And having to drive on the wrong side of the road to get there!! Dear heavens! A man or a woman could die of water consumption. I trust you got hardship duty pay rates.

Speaking of which, such hardship pay has a very long history. It has been reported that the two maiden aunts who raised William Penn also lived a long distance from a pub. They demanded and got an increase in their monthly stipend because of that fact. Soon all of the colonies were talking about the pay rates of Penn's aunts.

TEd
#13999 01/04/01 04:53 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

It has been reported that the two maiden aunts who raised William Penn also lived a long distance from a pub. They demanded and got an increase in their monthly stipend because of that fact. Soon all of the colonies were talking about the pay rates of Penn's aunts.

I heard the publican, Mr. Doyle, was a friend and would ship their monthly booze to them. The aunts, I heard, eagerly awaited the arrival of the Doyle cart.
wow

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith