Next Thread
Print Thread
#139078 02/12/05 02:32 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In an attempt to bring some vibrancy to our studies of ancient Greece, my kids are reporting on what they have learned by inference through reading an assigned book of the Odyssey. I've been Googling this morning and have uncovered information that I need to double check for reliable sources.

Anyway, I found this interesting information on a site for elementary school-aged kids:

"The narrow piece of land that joins the southernmost part of Greece to the mainland is called the Isthmus of Corinth. Periander built a stone track across it, so that ships could be dragged over the land from coast to coast (by large numbers of slaves). Corinth made money by charging a toll. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ancientgreece/corinth/dragway.shtml

This passage also mentioned Periander, but more in the sense of wanting a canal:

"In the late seventh or early sixth century BC, the tyrants of Corinth constructed á paved road called the Diolkos which led from Schinous on the Saronic Gulf to Poseidonia on the Gulf of Corinth. The Dioikos was 3-3.5 m. wide, and it was paved with blocks of limestone set in á deep layer of sand and gravel. Along this ran the ïlkos, á wheeled vehicle on which ships were borne overland from one side of the Isthmus to the other. Sections of the Diolkos can still be seen today; the deep parallel ruts in the road, 1.50 m. apart, are the marks left by the wheels of the olkos. "

There's a terrific photo on the second site of the tracks on which the ships were moved across the isthmus:

http://www.city-of-loutraki.gr/history-culture/the-diolkos-corinth-canal.htm

Of course, Periander postdates Homer, so I'm not sure how much use this will be to my kids...

#139079 02/12/05 03:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are several US cities that bear the name Portage.

you might want to have the kids look up the meaning of portage, and see what all the cities have in common, and have them think about how human have resolved the same problems, time and time again, with similar solutions.

#139080 02/13/05 05:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
we used to face some daunting portages in traversing the BWCA in northern MN. unlike the track of Corinth, these were uphill all the way, coming and going. :|

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith