Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
well, there is 'D or d'; and then there is this:

Mooreeffoc is a fantastic word, but it could be seen written up in every town in this land. It is Coffee-room, viewed from the inside through a glass door, as it was seen by Dickens on a dark London day; and it was used by Chesterton to denote the queerness of things that have become trite, when they are seen suddenly from a new angle. - J. R. R. Tolkien, On Fairy-stories

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
either way its another one of those rare 3 sets of double letters in a word words.
right up there with bookkeepping!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't believe I'd ever seen the term coffee room (one word, hyphenated, or two words), though tea room resonates more than tea shop to me. Are or were coffee-rooms common on the big British Isle?

TEd
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
and of course a tea shop sign seen from the other side is a place for a posh eat.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Bookkeepping? If my Internet weren't so slow I would refute it and post that the word had only one p and make a fool out of myself, then bother to look the word up. But my Internet is really slow so I'll do everything but the last step.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
you're right of course Animal[sic]; bookkeepping[sic] would be four sets of doubles where only three were claimed. it's just a typo.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
meanwhile, to TEd's question (whilst awaiting a definitive UKn answer):

A coffeeroom in Staines Road was registered as a Primitive Methodist meeting-place in 1882. The registration was cancelled in 1935. From: British History Online

The coffeeroom indeed, lighted by two well-polished lamps which hung from the raftered ceiling, looked cheerful and cozy in the extreme. - from Scarlet Pimpernel

"Well! Ah, praised be God! Maria, the coffee." - D.H. Lawrence (from coffeeroom.com)

:)

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I'm not conscious of having met coffee room before, but since I've read Tolkein's On Fairy Tales, I suppose I must have.

For me, a tea room is a more pretentious establishment than a tea shop, and is probably directed more to the tourist trade than to local people.

Bingley

Bingley
#138490 02/02/05 11:32 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
the queerness of things that have become trite, when they are seen suddenly from a new angle

That would be a "mooreeffoC effect", wouldn't it?

I had a mooreeffoC effect in a coffee shop once. I looked out the window onto the street and saw someone coming from my left who was displaced by someone coming from my right. I wondered if I was in my right mind.*

Then I realized I was looking into a mirror mounted floor to ceiling at the outside corner of the window looking onto the street. It was weird. But I got over it.

* Something others, especially around here, give more thought to than I do myself [when I'm not mooreeffoCing]. :)

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Can't promise, but here's a start:

This is not the traditional form of words in England. Pepys refers I think to ‘coffee house’ and ‘coffee club’, not ‘coffee room’.
http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1661/05/27/index.php
http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1660/01/20/index.php

Hogarth pictured the scene:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/teaching/sle/Gallery/Hogarth/HogMidConv.htm

Another common description is ‘coffee shop’. The first one?
“It started out in 1652 as the Turk's Head, a common-or-garden tavern of its day serving wine and ale under the watchful eye of landlord Edwards. However, Mr Edwards didn't realise that he was setting the foundations of a little piece of history when he returned from a journey over seas loaded with coffee beans and accompanied by a surf named Pasqua Rosee (Easter Rose) who was adept in the art of soaking the beans to produce a palatable beverage. Setting Pasqua to work, Edwards invited his friends to call and sample the new drink. Within days the word spread from one side of the City to the other and soon Mr Edwards was tearing his hair out through interruptions from a constant flow of visitors. He was at his wits end when the bright lad suggested he might consider charging for the infusion. Brilliant idea - Edwards leapt in the air, instantly made enemies of all his friends, and the very next day the first coffee shop was born.”
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/9424/page25.html#Salisbury

Around 1700 ‘coffee room’ was clearly known:
http://www.travelpublishing.co.uk/CountryLivingSouth/Wiltshire/CSO26061.htm

Nowadays I think it’s rarer in ordinary use, and would tend to have the connotation of something like a staff canteen, community meeting centre or private club facility. Some of course are slightly grander than others ;)
http://www.carltonclub.co.uk/facilitcoffeeroom.htm

And some are marked by true British eccentricity:
“Coffee is not served in the Coffee Room…”!
http://www.oxfordandcambridgeclub.co.uk/facilities-dining.html

D
D
Hogarth

A bit more Temple than St. John, apparently

a tea shop sign seen from the other side is a place for a posh eat.

Or ‘pohs eat’

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
tea shop <> posh eat <> pohs eat

or, pohs aet

dsylexics of the world, untie!

D
D
!hucO

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>!hucO

dyslexic cat out of the bag.

TEd
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith