Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Vegemite is not really food. It is more the excrudescence of mold, slime and bacteria.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
HEY! It's a by-product of making proper beer - how much closer to heaven do you want to be?! ;)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and elmers glue (white glue)is a by product of making real cheese. but i don't think its a good idea to spread elmer's glue on a sandwich and eat it.

didn't you ever wonder why Borden's (and elsie the cow mate, elmer) got involved with glue making? cheese production uses the curds, and whey is mostly not used or needed. but reduce it.. and bingo.. glue!--but in other places, they looked at the crude left over and said, bingo--food!)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Marmite. I'll take Vegemite over Marmite any day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's a by-product of making proper beer

Uh ... pig poop is a by-product of making proper ham and bacon, but I wouldn't spread it on my toast.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> mold, slime and bacteria

so's antibiotic, which is handy given your disgustin' American sweet-toothed mash of the totally innapropriate mix of peanuts, sump oil and sugar byproducts! %0~

and I can remember now the disgust with which I saw the fat run from my first panful of American bacon - reckon you throw away the best part in that stuff you don't want to spread on your toast :)

P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
Juicey Slices

! According to 1998 edition of The Guinness Book of World Records, in 1990, Bill Carson of Arrington, USA, grew the largest watermelon weighing 119 kg. The word “watermelon” first appeared in English by 1615.

! Like seedless oranges, Japanese scientists were the first to develop seedless watermelon. Agricultural researchers in India have also developed an experimental seedless variety and called it Pusa Bedana.

! There is enough evidence to indicate that the watermelon is a native of tropical Africa. The explorer, David Livingstone, mentions them in his diary.

! The first recorded harvest of watermelon was nearly, 5,000 years ago in Egypt where watermelons were grown and regarded not only for their flavour but also for their beauty. It has been depicted in Egyptian wall paintings. Pharaohs stocked watermelons in their tombs.

! It is said that when children of Israel wandered in the desert after their flight from Egypt, they remembered the watermelons they left behind.

! A very large number of watermelon varieties are grown in India. They have very exotic names like Noorjehani, Anarkali, Sharbat-e-Anar, etc. Some varieties are named after the towns near which they are grown — Faizabadi, Jaunpuri and Farukhabadi — all of them along the banks of the Ganga and the Yamuna.

! Sugar baby, an American variety is very popular in Maharashtra. West Bengal grows the Asahi Yamato, a Japanese variety.

The voyage of watermelon
Shirish Joshi

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020506/agro.htm#1

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Kids eat glue all the time.

Thanks for telling us about the whey, of troy. Whey cool!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Doubters of the Wonders of Peanut Butter ~

Please read about the life of George Washington Carver, the father of peanut butter, and be ashamed.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mcbrown/display/carver.html

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Father Steve,

Although Carver is known for his many discoveries using the peanut, I don't think he was the father of peanut butter. The use of peanuts in pastes and soups predates Carver, and peanut butter in the form that we know it today isn't credited to Carver as far as I can gather. Here's a link with interesting information, most of which is found on other peanut butter sites:

http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/history/

But, then again, you may have a source that differs...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 727 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith