veteran
T
"...but once again you bring your politics into these forums
when we have repeatedly, since their inception, asked people
to keep religion and politics for other venues which encourage them." ~ tsuwm
For tsuwm's eyes only. You others please
don't read below this line.

--------------------------------------------------------

Uh, tsuwm, I am well aware that "you people" don't like "other people" to espouse politics on this board,
so I don't.
But now I begin to think that "you people" don't like other people's opinion.
Please explain to me what was even remotely political about my post
or else apologize to me in an open forum.
Thank you.

#138102 01/30/05 04:33 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Themilum doesn't need anyone to defend him, and if it had to be anyone, I'm sure he would prefer anyone but Plutarch. :)

However, themilum's views are no more "political" than the views of those, including myself, who theorize that Western society is desublimating or culletizing or otherwise debasing other cultures, if not our own culture, albeit without malign design.

Themilum is entitled to disagree with this postulation.

Considering that he doesn't subscribe to it, logically or otherwise, I think he has been most patient. Congratulations, themilum. :)

Themilum has infused his argument with his usual trademark wit and intellectual pungency. And that's OK too 'cause he's just themilum. And we're all a lot better off themilum's around here to straighten us out every now and again when we get too big for our britches.

Thanks, themilum. :)

#138103 01/31/05 03:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Herbie Marcuse and tswum should unwrite themselves their old man's lament and look around at a World exploding with portent of a most wonderful and amazing future.

Listen, ancient ones, go back and sit in your dark safe caves and moan and wail the loss of traditions past their prime and whine and chant your youthful ole sayings that no longer have a ring.

Milo,

I was quite upset that my post introducing the word desublimation was greeted with this response; no mention at all of my suggestion to the topic Is there a word for...? . In the heat of the moment I took this as a personal affront, completely failing to see any intended humor. For this I am truly sorry, Milo.

#138104 01/31/05 08:14 AM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Thank you tsuwm, I know you. But I also failed (as I had originally intended} to include in my post my opinion that your selection of the term "desublimation" was brilliant. As it was. I guess I got carried away with my own rhetoric.

Milo.

#138105 01/31/05 09:08 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
I guess I got carried away with my own rhetoric.*

Wow! You guys are something else. Now I'm sorry I defended you, themilum.

But, seriously. You are a scholar and a gentleman, tsuwm. [You too, themilum.]

* Bin there a few times myself. [shock]

#138106 01/31/05 11:44 AM
A
aorto Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes, desublimation was a brilliant move. It sunk right into my soul and provided rest. It was the right word.

On an aside, from the outside, your conversations are like reading the Dialogues of the philosophers of old. Refreshing, insightful, and loads of fun. As Wet Willie said: 'Keep on smilin.'

By the way, is there a page where I can get the codes to make the smiley faces? And the cool blue text?

#138107 01/31/05 12:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the FAQ, jsut the FAQ's-- its about 4 pages if you print it out.. but in I & A there is also a link to a page Max put together, with fine details like how to include ligitures, like æ (ae) or fun symbols like, ® , or ¿ to make posts interesting..

over the years, we've had a few computer naifs, and the instructions are very simple, (and well illustrated) there is a wealth of info.

there are some good tips too--most of experience users set our pages to view at 99 so we don't have to reload page after page to read a long thread.
AND because its sometimes impossible to load more than page 1 of an old thread.. (if you are set to read 10 posts per page, that is all you can see! if your setting is for 99 posts per page, you'll see 99--1 page is one page, no matter how large a page it is!)
for the same reason, if a thread reaches 99 posts, its continued in a new thread.

It not a 'rule'; you can post 150 comments to a thread, but.. there is a good chance in not to distant future, only the 99 posts will be accessable.. and 51 will be lost in cyberspace.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith