#13710 12/27/00 12:41 AM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
belMarduk
I love the bite of the wind on your face as you walk outside, and wearing heavy turtleneck sweaters, big floofy coats, scarves and hats and mittens

I loved winter when I was young. Nowadays it looks great through the picture window but it loses its charms when I have to go out into it! Age does have some downsides!
wow

#13711 12/28/00 08:18 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>just enough snow to make things pretty, with out making a mess-- and its been cold enough since then, that the trees and grass have keep their dusting of white, while the streets and walks are all clear and dry. It's been sunny, windy and crisp*.. temperature below freezing.. from about -1 c. during the day to about -5c. at night (30 f to 15 f)

Thanks for the weather report (and bilingual too)! I'm just packing our bags (I prefer posting to packing!) for my trip to NY then DC, I saw some presidential meeting in DC with snow in the background a few days ago, so unless I hear otherwise I'll pack my thermals!

I'm around until tonight, then in the air, subject to snow, ice on runways etc etc. All the best for hogmanay! Drink a wee dram for me! Don't forget to get a tall dark handsome stranger to bring in the coal and the whisky! I'll be looking for one in New York - do they have coal???

#13712 12/28/00 08:44 AM
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Well out here in Australia I'm down on Latitude 19 south on the Coral Sea and, take my word for it,
it's HOT and humid. Pity the poor fellow dressed in red with the Children sitting on his knee :-)
It was about 90 in the shade with the humidity about the same this year. Makes one smile to hear
"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" being played.
Darryl,Australia.

#13713 12/28/00 12:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Its been ages and ages since i have seen a coal truck--My childrens elementary school still used coal when they started school, but very, very few building still do-- EPA-clean air regulations, all that. Con Edison, our local utility does have some coal fired utility plants in the city, but with fancy scrubbers on the stacks.

Manhattan is strange-- Con Edison sell steam as well as electricity and gas-- and there are steam pipes all about manhattan. If you have ever seen a movie scene in NY, with steamy clouds-- well its real, there are some steam vents in the streets. More, than that though, the streets and sidewalks of manhattan tend to have snow melt very rapidly--since there is so much underground, subways, steam pipes, sewers, chases for electrical and telephone service...there is not as much under ground as there is above, but there is more underground than many cities have above..all of which means, the ground is warmer.

But do pack your thermals-- the news of the day is a big storm system that is expected on saturday (dec 29th) with 6 inches of snow if we are lucky, and an ice storm if we are unlucky.

#13714 12/28/00 05:11 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Winter wonder lovers

There was a day (up to about my 14th year) when I liked cold weather and snow, but no more. Now my ideal is a light snowfall (no more than 2 inches) which is pretty and makes everything look like a Christmas card, and then warm up so it melts after a day and no more for the rest of the winter. Of course, that doesn't happen around here. So now, after the end of November, I start singing Ezra Pound's immortal winter anthem, "Winter is icumen in, lhude sing goddam."

#13715 12/28/00 06:09 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Jo, definitely bring your thermals, mittens and a scarf and remember - you are never too old to make snow angels.

#13716 12/28/00 08:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When the central campus of Washington State University was laid out in Pullman, Washington, USA, the architects had a brilliant idea. As the winters are severe, they designed a network of steam pipes which run in tunnels underneath all of the sidewalks on campus. The tunnels are large and used to house all manner of "civil defense" provisions, for use in the event of nuclear attack. Why anyone would want to drop an A-bomb on the wheat fields of Pullman is unclear. To this day, when the temperature drops to sub-zero ranges and the snow drifts are so high as to require some buiding entrances to be "dug out" before classes can begin, the sidewalks remain bare and wet, because of the steam heat.

#13717 12/29/00 01:21 AM
S
S
I think the thoroughfares in Reyjavik, Iceland have a similar setup. Don't they channel water from thermal springs beneath their streets to avoid a buildup of snow and ice?

#13718 12/29/00 02:28 AM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hi! You may just beat the storm into NYC. A pal o'mine lives in an old NYCity building with working fireplaces that burn coal ... so indeed it is available in the Big Apple.... where? .... check the Yellow Pages.
Have a great time and stay warm
wow

#13719 12/29/00 04:22 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Wright State University in Dayton actually has tunnels connecting all of the buildings so no one needs to go outside in the middle of winter. They can just go from the dorms to their classes via the tunnels.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith