Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#136301 12/22/04 10:33 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Does anyone have any information on this phrase?

Specifically ~
1. is it common in your area of the world?
ii. does it have any particular connotations, such as humour or sarcasm or anything else?
c. do you know anything about its origin?

The subject cropped up in another place and I was very surprised how little I could find on it - be grateful to hear what all y'all can add!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We use it around my neck of the woods all the time. It's used in a light-hearted manner heavily tinged with seriousness. No idea where it's from but I'll bet the good folks at wordorigins would be able to dredge up an answer or two.

http://p066.ezboard.com/bwordoriginsorg

Registration required to post.

Oh, and the reason it sounded funny just came to me. Around here it's "a gentleman and a scholar."

P
veteran
veteran
P
“The soul of Honor, the soldier, scholar and gentleman. He did his duty and is at rest.”

At the dedication Speech of another Meade Memorial in Washington DC in October 1927, President Calvin Coolidge honored Meade, “Like most great soldiers he was devoted to peace not war........... The conflict in which he took such an important part has long since passed away. The peace which he loved has come. The reconciliation which he sought is complete. The loyalty to the flag which he followed is universal. Through all of this shines his own immortal fame.”

General George Gordon Meade, who won the greatest and most famous battle of the Civil War has long been overshadowed in history by the more romantic and exciting personalities of his peers. “The Soul Of Honor” is my tribute to General George Gordon Meade and my attempt to secure General Meade’s heroic and rightful place in the annuls of the War of the Rebellion and the history of the United States of America.

General A. S. Webb referred to General Meade as, “The soul of honor, the soldier, scholar and gentleman”.

http://www.paulmartinart.com/SoulOfHonor.html

About General Alexander Stewart Webb:

"Hancock later said, at a toast, "In every battle and on every important field there is one spot to which every army [officer] would wish to be assigned--the spot upon which centers the fortunes of the field. There was but one such spot at Gettysburg and it fell to the lot of Gen'l Webb to have it and hold it and for holding it he must receive the credit due him." In the surge of adulation after Gettysburg, Webb received command of the division six weeks later and led it through the fall campaigns.

http://www.rocemabra.com/~roger/tagg/generals/general11.html

#136304 12/22/04 12:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My mom uses the expression in a complimentary way. I'd assumed the source was Shakespeare, but Bartlett's attributes the origin to Rabbie Burns:

His locked, lettered, braw brass collar
Showed him the gentleman and scholar.

http://www.bartleby.com/100/315.17.html

#136305 12/22/04 12:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm no help on the origin, but I, too, would say a gentleman and a scholar. usually used in a respectful, complimentary way, with a bit of laughing twinkle in the eyes thrown in for good measure.

formerly known as etaoin...
#136306 12/22/04 12:55 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Around here it's "a gentleman and a scholar."

If Robert Burns is the original popularizer of this expression, as ASp has so usefully pointed out, then the British influence in the original Thirteen Colonies might explain why "a gentleman and a scholar" is more familiar in Faldage's hereabouts than it is elsewhere in America.

It would seem likely that the hero of the Battle of Gettysburg [at least in the North], General A. S. Webb, popularized the variant "a scholar and a gentleman".

It reminds me of John F. Kennedy's use of Gandhi's aphorism "Ask not what your country can do for you ...". No doubt, if there is any variation between the two aphorisms, JFK's variation will prevail in America [if not throughout the world, considering his trail-blazing mastery of the new media of television].

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've only heard it as "a gentleman and a scholar", here in the Upper Midwest. Often said without irony.. often with.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here in North East we tend toward Gentleman and Scholar ... I use it in a most complimentary way ... not many young Gentlemen and Scholars around these days (present company excepted) so it has fallen a bit out of fashion. However, when I use it there is no confusion as to how it's meant and its use occasions thoughtful nods.
Here's an idea ! Whom would you nominate - in the present public arena - as a Scholar and Gentleman?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I first heard, regularly, from a teacher whom I had for a couple of years between 11 and 13. He always used it as a compliment, but with a slightly amused sparkle in his eyes. Since then, I have used it myself often.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
laughing twinkle, slightly amused sparkle. sounds about right.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith