TOP U INDEX
BOT M MIDDLE

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Main Entry: peloton
Definition: in cycling, a densely packed group of riders who stay together for mutual advantage
Etymology: French `ball, heap'

If I tried to ride in a densely packed group we would definitely wind up in a heap.

#135627 12/03/04 01:21 AM
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Very, very interesting. So it can be grouped in threes by noticing the finger used, and it can be grouped in twos by noticing the row. I like it.

Some people say camping is boring. I say it's in tents.

#135628 12/03/04 12:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldo:

While you may use your middle finger to type an m, the correct finger to use is the right index finger:

http://www.crews.org/curriculum/ex/compsci/keyboarding/questions.htm#keyboard

TEd
P
veteran
veteran
P
If I tried to ride in a densely packed group we would definitely wind up in a heap

It's not so bad if you end up on top of the heap, Zed ... without the peloton on top of you.

[In Europe, that would be a "pelotonne", I assume.]

#135630 12/03/04 10:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the correct finger to use is the right index finger

See, just goes to show. Question Authority, or else.

#135631 12/03/04 10:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from French, peloton, platoon, ball, from Middle French, ball

#135632 12/05/04 03:06 AM
D
D
"peloton" ??? [7th position]

I’m probably stating the painfully obvious here, but, no doubt, ‘peloton’ came in seventh due to the fact that Lance Armstrong, an American, won the Tour de France (TdF) for a sixth time, breaking the standing record of five wins held by Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, and Miguel Induráin. Since professional cycling is not valued highly by the majority of Americans, most are not familiar with cycling’s terms. Armstrong’s fifth win was big, but his attempt at a sixth win pushed professional cycling into the consciousness of more Americans than ever before: thus the interest in the word ‘peloton.’

Definition: in cycling, a densely packed group of riders who stay together for mutual advantage

'Peloton' is indeed “a densely packed group of riders who stay together for mutual advantage.” The word, however, is not used only to refer to the riders of the TdF. In the English-speaking cycling world, ‘peloton’ is used to describe riders grouped together in any professional road race. Amateur cyclists also use the word to refer to any large group of cyclist riding together in training rides, rallies, or races.

‘Pro peloton’ refers to all professional road cyclists, especially those who race in Europe, whether they are racing at the time or not.

If I tried to ride in a densely packed group we would definitely wind up in a heap.

Riding in a peloton can indeed be unnerving, especially if there are a bunch of beginners in it. Riding in a peloton of experienced cyclists is actually fairly comfortable. That’s not to say, however, if one rider goes down, especially at the front, he or she won’t take the majority of the peloton down too. If you are unlucky enough to be in the middle of a fast group, and someone up front goes down, there is almost nothing you can do to avoid wrecking – and bikes don’t have crumple zones. Bones seem to crumple (so to speak) fairly easily though.

#135633 12/05/04 12:07 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
If you are unlucky enough to be in the middle of a fast group, and someone up front goes down, there is almost nothing you can do to avoid wrecking

Wonder what the advantage is of riding in a peloton, Dgeigh?

There can't be much of a slip stream effect as there is in car racing because the peloton is not a solid mass at the leading edge of the wedge.

No doubt, it is harder to pass a peloton than a single cyclist, but, on the other hand, if you are inside the peloton it's harder to get out of it to break away. I take it this latter consideration is not really a problem because the peloton is actually a 'team' and they would cooperate with anyone inside the 'heap' wishing to break out.

Perhaps it is just moral support or pacing control. Long distance runners run with friendly pacers to keep them on their mark. Interesting phenomenon suggestive of Canadian Geese flying in a "V", in any event.

Aha! Here we have the answer -- not a "V", but an "X":

"Peloton Strategy: "X" marks the spot"

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9720

#135634 12/05/04 01:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually it is the slip stream effect. I've never actually ridden in a peloton, but I have ridden many a mile with other riders and indeed it is easier to pedal when tailgating another rider than it is to pedal while riding alone.

I used to ride with a pretty lady named Glenna, and while I did my share of infront miles it was a lot more fun to be riding right behind her. Awesome view!

And apparently the effect is much greater in a peloton. I have carefully watched closed course races and seen that in the peloton there is a constant flow of riders from the back to the front of the pack. Those at the front get tired and drop all the way to the back, so everyone gets a turn in the lead.

The TdF is actually a team event with individual rider prizes; one of the grand strategies is for a team to "protect" its strongest rider by forming a peloton in front of him and letting him preserve his strength for the dash to the finish line.

TEd
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith