About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#135085 11/29/04 07:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I believe that, in the Reese's Res Ipsa Loquitur, only certain monkeys are allowed to compete.

#135086 11/29/04 08:00 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
You're thinking of REESE'S GREASE MONKEY RACE IPSA LOQUITUR, Father Steve.

You've got your sprockets mixed up with your dockets.

#135087 11/30/04 12:07 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I was one of those kids with excellent "sound judgement". I read well ahead of my grade level so I had an good grasp of functional grammer. That is I could recognise and use complex sentance structure. (I enjoyed breaking the "rules" by knowing the exceptions eg you can start a sentance with because.)
Unfortunately I went through school at a time when teaching traditional grammer such as knowing the names and definitions uses of past imperfect and gerund and participles was not done and, to read my written work, was not needed. I would have disliked learning that way so I thought it was great. Until I tried to explain to a Japanese friend when to use "ran" vs "had run" vs "had been running." I knew when to use them but didn't realize they were different tenses rather than common vs uncommon uses.
Learning a second language could have been much easier for me as well. When the teacher spoke about using a certain phrase only in the past perfect or in a subjunctive clause I didn't know what she meant.
Like many things in school the child may not value the information right away but that does not mean there is no value.

#135088 12/01/04 12:41 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
that does not mean there is no value

Interesting angle, Zed. Never thought of that.

Like you, I got very little grammar in "grammar school". All those parts of speech and tenses you mention are greek to me.

I did learn "Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Vocative, Ablative" in Grade 9 Latin because we had to memorize these terms, but I never had the foggiest about how to use them.

"Latin Authors" and "Latin Grammar" were one subject in my day. If you memorized the correct english translation of all the latin text, you could get 100% on the "Latin Authors" part of the exam, which accounted for 60% of your total mark. If you stuck in the root words in the "Latin Grammar" part of the exam, without attempting to decline them, you could pick up at least another 10%. So it was possible to get 70% on the exam without knowing the first thing about Latin Grammar.

Of course, this knowledge of latin roots has come in handy in ways I never anticipated when we studied Latin as part of the required curriculum in Grade 9. So I appreciate what you're saying about collateral benefits.

#135089 12/04/04 03:59 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Pardon Mister Plutarch, I trust that as a youth you didn't buy into those social myths of the day that claimed that we sloven sapient beings didn't occupy but 30% of the brain's potential space with our paltry accumulations from the World's store of endless information.

Clutter! That will be our demise; fruitless exposure to all things in hope of "collateral benefits". Purge your thoughts of schools and rules and getting chicks and instead focus upon and question fundamental precepts that enslave you to the master that lives inside you who is animal.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, and lo, the bird of time is on the wing.

#135090 12/04/04 09:32 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
fruitless exposure to all things in hope of "collateral benefits"

I couldn't agree with you more, themilum. It makes more sense to focus on "core benefits" than "collateral benefits".

There is nothing wrong with "collateral benefits", of course, unless there are no "core" benefits for them to be collateral to, or to which they are collateral.

#135091 12/05/04 12:26 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
re unless there are no "core" benefits for them to be collateral to, or to which they are collateral

I can't help wondering if it's OK to dangle a preposition inside a sentence as long as you don't dangle it at the end of a sentence, as in the sentence above.

Whatever the correct grammatical construction, it sounds more natural to my untutored ear to say:

"There is nothing wrong with "collateral benefits", of course, unless there are no "core" benefits for them to be collateral to."

than to say:

"There is nothing wrong with "collateral benefits", of course, unless there are no "core" benefits to which they are collateral."

The latter may be formally correct within the rules of traditional grammar but it sounds rather stilted and somewhat officious or affected to me.

I confess I am not a student of the matter, but it seems to me contemporary practice in all areas of communication [except, perhaps, academia] has long since moved away from such starchy formalism.

It must be doubly vexing to be a student in a traditional grammar class nowadays. Even those students who learn "sound judgment" from literate parents at home will not learn from that powerfully influential source the more archaic formulations promulgated within the classroom.

To return to our "core benefits/collateral benefits" discussion, themilum, it occurs to me that we are in danger of putting the horse of habit ahead of the cart of clarity in english classes nowadays.

This is not an expert opinion, of course. It is just my untutored opinion, honestly felt and sincerely, albeit somewhat incautiously expressed, at least in this company.

My purpose is not to inflame the sensibilities of those who have a different, and, perhaps, more august opinion. It is simply to exercise my right to express my own opinion, respectfully.

My opinion may be right or wrong, themilum, but it would be wrong to deny me my right, wouldn't you say?

#135092 12/05/04 03:55 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
My opinion may be right or wrong, themilum, but it would be wrong to deny me my right, wouldn't you say?

Well yes, Plutarch, but not necessarily. At times a "right" can be a wrong that should not be allowed to be said - FIRE!

But I agree with what you have said, and so...what do you want me to do...censor myself? Never! That is the job of tyrants and Moderators of Internet Forum Boards.

#135093 12/05/04 04:06 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
that should be the job of ... Moderators of Internet Forum Boards

Ah, yes, themilum.

But Moderators, of all people, should be moderate in all things. And I, for one, have no complaint about the Moderators of this Board -- of which there are none in evidence, not now, not as long as I can remember.

The best Moderators are self-Moderators, wouldn't you say, theMilum?

#135094 12/05/04 04:25 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
The best Moderators are self-Moderators, wouldn't you say, theMilum?

Say, Plutarch, would you please stop saying....
" wouldn't you say, theMilum?".
Some people here already think that I am your sock-puppet,
and by extension, that would make you mine.
(Kinda like we are married...but more so.)

But hell yes, Plutarch, the best Moderators are self-Moderators,
but the best of beers is long-neck Bud.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith