About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
AnnaStrophic wrote:
>In the same vein, there are words that seem to be antonyms but are in fact synonyms, such as "flammable" and "inflammable."

This happens because the prefix in- is usually thought of as "not" but also can mean in/into/upon. Here again, there were two root words from Latin: flammare and inflammare.

Other pseudo-antonyms are ravel/unravel, bone/debone and loose/unloose. Ravel is quite interesting in as it can mean disentangle or unravel, or it can mean confuse or entangle -- it's a contronym as well!

P
stranger
stranger
P
Cheer up, sholmes: you can still use your favorite "cleave" as a shining example of a contranym.
tsuwm correctly stated that the word is not enantiodromic, not having gone through the procedure. However, it is still a legitimate and worthwhile contranym, antagonym or Janus Word (kudos to my friend Richard Lederer).
Patatty

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, this is what's known as a quibble: you won't find the two meanings in one dictionary entry as two senses of the same word -- they really are two distinct words and therefore should hardly qualify as a "word that's its own antonym". But you're right, in as much all the extant lists of antagonyms etc. include cleave. vox populi.

P
stranger
stranger
P
A gracious quibble, tsuwm, and as a newbie, I acknowlege my understanding of the distinction (WITH a difference, as we legal types are too fond of saying) to have been increased.
Pari passu.

BTW, Michael, I did access the URL you recommended (atlantic)after posting this message, and your discussion of "peruse" triggers my thoughts of another contranym candidate: scan?

old hand
old hand
I don't know if this is relevant, but the word 'draw', when used in the context of 'drawing the curtains' (or drawing the blinds) seems to me to be used to reverse whatever position they are currently in. So if the curtains have been drawn back, then you use 'draw the curtains' to close them, and vice versa. (At least, this is what my Mummy taught me to do. Don't you dare say that Momma was wrong!)

Another with two uses, though they are not necessarily directly opposed:

discrimination: bigotry, or fine discernment.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I remembered what sparked my interest in this topic in the first place. A book titled "Dictionary of Common Fallacies" has an entry something like "there are no words that are their own opposite", and an example was 'let', as in Shakespearian terms it means 'prevent', thus Hamlet: "I'll make a ghost of any man who lets me" (go after his father's apparition).

P
stranger
stranger
P
Tergiversator -
Did you catch Buckley's column today on the Miami mess?
Quote: "... so is it true of the majority of the American people, who can live with the consequences of the end of the cold war without fearing, in the case of Elian Gonzalez, that tergiversation is in the saddle, and we are betraying Walt Whitman"
Not every day you see that word in the news.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max, here it is...

#1318 08/23/00 06:27 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#1319 08/23/00 07:14 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith