Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12865 12/14/00 10:03 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
missing anything?

I know of books, and tracts that, in totality, contain only 25 of the 26–
(I am grossly bad at this– but can you– out do what I am trying to do? )

#12866 12/14/00 10:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
missing anything?

I know of books, and tracts that, in totality, contain only 25 of the 26–
(I am grossly bad at this– but can you– out do what I am trying to do? )

Working it out was not hard, but I am tempted to say that it was no easy task

#12867 12/14/00 10:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
of troy writ... um... scribb... hm... asks: can you– out do what I am trying to do?

it's a silly... task... but naturally a word for it... is about; this word is lipogram (which luckily fits our plan) -- writing thusly... turns out mostly awkward looking syntax.

#12868 12/14/00 10:45 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
And what would Mr Shrdlu say about it!?

#12869 12/15/00 10:13 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Marty -- actually, I've always considered Etaoin to be of the feminine gender!

#12870 12/15/00 12:59 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Oh do try! Tsuwm did and gave us a word for it–I didn't know it( lipogram) just the ploy– with a small bit of planning–and PC tools–you can do it– its not that hard. If you got it– try it!

#12871 12/15/00 01:57 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rhyming is hard– and many contributors do it.. I am always agog with what is known–plowing! Who wouldda thought? I don't want to call it trivia– but unusual topics don't stop anybody! I had a hand at plowing– as a country fair activity – Long Island has soft soil–but it's hard work! A furrow and back–for a buck (US dollar)! I paid to try my hand at this skill! i wasn't half bad at it...my first furrow was a bit wavy, but furrow two was straight! Not bad for a city girl!
That right--US's urban sprawl capital still had country fairs.

#12872 12/15/00 07:19 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
only tsuwm and Marty as my only companions in this word play? To start, position a push pin, point up-wards, four in from Tab–(count Tab, too) quickly, you'll grok it's good to avoid! A world of words awaits– in this word play, flirting is okay- but don't go far astray– tarmac's thrift, with run-off from walkways or roofs is a no man's land as is a trip to subjects un urban.

You can sip pop or cola, soda on your patio, but taboo is Boston's harbor drink -I can't think of a hot drink that is not taboo. Many cold libations...

Mouth off if you want–or act sassy, and don't think about your p's and q's...a fifth of scotch– or a fifth to finish, but stay away from a fifth symbol. Stay in pairs, or crowds or groups --going solo has many risks.

Tsuwm said syntax was awkward– but only first.. A posting or two, and words will start to flow.. Is it worth a sporting try?

I can play at it, tsuwn and marty too, anybody can play–can you?

#12873 12/16/00 11:06 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Count paulb in -- I'm rapt to find a "tao in Shrdlu" at last!

#12874 12/17/00 11:35 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Hi again, of troy. I trust that it is OK to apply that tag to you - I find that your mum and dad's first rubric for you would disqualify this post from participating in your quiz. My first qualifying post was short - six or so words only. I thought I should try a post with many words so that I truly grasp how difficult it is to do it without violation. I find that it is fascinating to try this task without compromising my post's flavour, or causing awkward syntax, as tsuwm said in a prior submission. I don't think that I am doing particularly brilliantly right now. I do think, though, that if an author was to try this a lot, truly with application, that said difficulty and artificiality of wording would diminish and that this man or woman (or boy or girl) would start to know a lot of common handy substitutions and sayings.

I find that I am using - a tad too much?- a lookup list to aid in substitution of "good" words for words that do not qualify. It is amazing how that tricky fifth symbol lurks around, just waiting for an opportunity to spring forth and show his dial, much to my chagrin. Notwithstanding all my caution, it is with timidity and worry that I am composing this. I think that I will now run this story through a symbol-locating computing application - if you catch my drift - to confirm that it will in fact satisfy all conditions laid down by you and that it will obtain your approval.

Having said all that, this rambling submission is on a topic of my choosing, a topic on which I can adopt any standpoint. It would call for worthy - and wordy - skill to do this on a random topic laid down by a third party, to wit - massaging into conformity a story by a famous author. Or, say, with an additional strain of doing it within a particular chronological slot.

That's all that I am going to say in this post. I wish to finish by saying that I am actually warming to of troy's task and I think I could go on in this fashion for many paragraphs, but I will now pass this opportunity on to additional pundits of our AWADtalk community.

#12875 12/17/00 11:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi again, of troy. I trust that it is OK to apply that tag to you - I find that your mum and dad's first rubric for you would disqualify this post from participating in your quiz. My first qualifying post was short - six or so words only. I thought I should try a post with many words so that I truly grasp how difficult it is to do it without violation. I find that it is fascinating to try this task without compromising my post's flavour, or causing awkward syntax, as tsuwm said in a prior submission. I don't think that I am doing particularly brilliantly right now. I do think, though, that if an author was to try this a lot, truly with application, that said difficulty and artificiality of wording would diminish and that this man or woman (or boy or girl) would start to know a lot of common handy substitutions and sayings.

I find that I am using - a tad too much?- a lookup list to aid in substitution of "good" words for words that do not qualify. It is amazing how that tricky fifth symbol lurks around, just waiting for an opportunity to spring forth and show his dial, much to my chagrin. Notwithstanding all my caution, it is with timidity and worry that I am composing this. I think that I will now run this story through a symbol-locating computing application - if you catch my drift - to confirm that it will in fact satisfy all conditions laid down by you and that it will obtain your approval.

Having said all that, this rambling submission is on a topic of my choosing, a topic on which I can adopt any standpoint. It would call for worthy - and wordy - skill to do this on a random topic laid down by a third party, to wit - massaging into conformity a story by a famous author. Or, say, with an additional strain of doing it within a particular chronological slot.

That's all that I am going to say in this post. I wish to finish by saying that I am actually warming to of troy's task and I think I could go on in this fashion for many paragraphs, but I will now pass this opportunity on to additional pundits of our AWADtalk community.

Whoa!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12876 12/18/00 07:23 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
But, can anybody surpass a lipogrammic work of fiction in 50,000 words which first saw publication in 1939, brainchild of an author who must stay anonymous in this location? Should you wish to find inspiration in his labours, ask your local librarian for "Gadsby" by Wright.

It was Triphiodorus, a bard living 2500 springs and autumns ago, who sang of actions of humans and gods in 24 lipogrammic books all of which omit a symbol, varying from book to book.

Both authors I inform you of in my paragraphs brought forth works long prior to PC tools. On your honour, how far can you go towards surpassing said works without using such tools as a vocabulary aid? I got this far without consulting any aids of that sort but how long can I allow for this sort of frivolity? Not, alas, as much as I would wish. My boss would, I am afraid, show his disapproval, although I am not in fact outstandingly busy right now.

My strain not just in omitting our taboo symbol, but in finding topics to discuss, is starting to show I think. How humiliating to admit that now I say nothing, having nothing to say.

I will not allow failing as a possibility, but will do my utmost to inflict my ramblings on you all. It now occurs to what I might laughingly call my mind, that for you who still follow my ramblings, Jakarta is unknown, as unknown as my own history.

My origin is in Holtspur (my county is Bucks., which is not too far from London, capital of Britain, if your atlas is not to hand) but am now found in Jakarta, capital of a tropical country lying South of Asia and North of Australia (I think you know what island nation I am going on about and why it must stay anonymous). Prior to coming to Jakarta, I was in Surabaya, Bandung, and Banjarmasin (again, consult your atlas if you do not know how to find said towns).

I work (but not all day) in a law firm and I put writings going from this firm to folks ignorant of this country's hoard of words and grammar into a good form of what is now, I would say, our world's lingua franca. Too many hours a day go on AWAD's board, but linguistics and books form my joy.

Jakarta, capital city of this country, has a big population, and pollution is a major difficulty. It is on Java's North coast and is thus tropical in humidity, and hot.

If I'm boring you, you can turn for fascination to outpourings not from this author if you wish, but as an official addict I find it hard to know if I should stop, or actually I know I should stop but I can't.

Can I actually go on in this fashion until I vanquish Mr. Wright? I doubt it and so will finish at this point with 1% of his total, signing off as (my ID will not disallow all my hard work thus far, I trust):

Bingley

Bingley
#12877 12/18/00 08:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As a general aside from this verbal feast of linguistic self-gratification, self-abuse and self-flagellation, I would comment on the import and impact of the following excerpt from the didactic diatribe imposed on the fair, unfair and downright mean citizens of this august board of linguiphilic lollygaggers by one Bingley, resident in that hotbed of English language study, Jakarta, capital of the former Dutch East Indies and now known as Indonesia: It was Triphiodorus, a bard living 2500 springs and autumns ago, who sang of actions of humans and gods in 24 lipogrammic books all of which omit a symbol, varying from book to book.

No, those weren't the Barrymore assets that the panel padre and I were discussing. Try again.

#12878 12/18/00 08:18 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tis capital of you, kiwi, to join the fun– but it was a bust! If you can't join in spirit–stay sub rosa--

I am unworthy- this topic has brought forth such a flow of words, and I know about all of you, who click on the listing.. And fail to try.

#12879 12/19/00 03:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, C.K., speaking of diatribes--you got everybody with that one, though mostly Bingley. According to your post, everybody on the board is either fair, unfair, or downright mean, and poor Bingley is accused of linguistic self-gratification, self-abuse and self-flagellation; and of "imposing" didactic diatribe on all of us
"lollygaggers". Pretty strong words, my friend.
Bingley never does anything like this, and I think it's a shame that he got shot down the one time he decides to have some fun.

#12880 12/19/00 03:15 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, no, no, Jackie, Helen - read it again. Bingley was not accused of anything of the kind. I was referring to all of us, including me! Effectively, I was trying to say that we work the board because we like it even when it hurts.

I should have put a in, because I was laughing when I wrote it. (I must put a smile in, I must put a smile in, x 100).

Apologies to Bingley if I've offended you. It was not intentional. I don't want to offend anyone. Well ... no one on the board, anyway.

#12881 12/19/00 03:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't want to offend anyone.

Glad to hear it, Sweetie! I knew that wasn't like you.

#12882 12/19/00 08:46 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
Six plus six posts into this string and I still did not know what was going on. Curiosity got worst of who-I-am. A hush-hush post to of troy asking what this string was about - duh! Of thousand ships said don't hit that which follows "d". I thought I would pitch in my two coins worth. And I am trying… How many words did I do? Six plus six plus six plus two plus four. Is that all? Marty and Darcy's pal - how did you do so much?

#12883 12/19/00 10:14 AM
B
addict
addict
B
I can't think of a hot drink that is not taboo.

If it's hot you can drink cocoa. Or o-cha from Japan. Or soup. (Is soup a libation? What is a libation? On writing this word I find I'm thinking of sacrificial ritual. Am I off-track or on-track?))

My moral is - do not allow your mind to fail, or to slack in its striving, too soon. Pass just a mo' or two in thought and you will find a solution to fit almost all occasions.

I would go on, but work constraints insist I simply go...

( That was FUN!)

AND.... no artificial aids! Smug? I admit it, I am! But I did look hard and oft for any slips in this posting. Did I miss any?

..must go, or soon I'll find I'm thrown out...

#12884 12/19/00 11:23 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
I was going to say cocoa as a hot drink, but a co-linguist has got to it first. Cocoa is good and chocolaty at any hour, hot or cold, but don't mix it with your soup or you'll find it has put an odd flavour in your cup or mug, and your mouth!

A truly famous lipogrammatic roman of not that long ago is La disparition, by a Frank, mayhap a Parisian, with initials G.P., and put into good old Anglo-Saxon by a Mr G. Adair as A Void. An amusing story though it can flag if you go on too long with it.

#12885 12/19/00 01:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oddly, I got a notification that I should show sorrow for
posting a non-lipogram. I would, but our initiatrix also
put a non-lipogram, so I am justifiably not doing so.

#12886 12/19/00 03:54 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Apologies to Bingley if I've offended you. It was not intentional. I don't want to offend anyone. Well ... no one on the board, anyway.

My faith in AWADity is restored (or should I say is back?)

Bingley

Bingley
#12887 12/19/00 03:57 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
You find fault with my words?
I am with out doubt, its truthful. But I think, if a fault occurs– worldly (and word-ly!)scholars can point it out– our aiming for godliness, shows to all, humanity. And by doing so, (highlighting my fault, that is) you can but only assist my striving to the goal.

Agast- no tricks or tool- I try to work my mind-and now- how could I miss it? From first attempt, a mis-apt word! I'll don a hair shirt, and sin not again. And if as humans, do, any should fail for a first (or again), an addict is about to mark our shortcomings!

an apology is obligatory– I, of troy, am sorry –and bow to you–all

#12888 12/22/00 09:39 AM
B
addict
addict
B
From first attempt

Try to avoid this word.
To avoid this word, try try!

But, of troy, don't stop now. Your prior posts show you can do this task! I know, from my first go, how hard it is. A word slips through, and all your work is to no avail. What to do? Try, try and try again!

#12889 12/22/00 08:51 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
thank you– I add humbly, half of all posting– or about as many, list Of Troy– not as long as posts from Jakarta- or points south but I did try and try again to draw in and ..

It was a thought– all could join in.. But not many did- I can only think it was not a lack of skill–quickly scanning post- shows skill abounds-but a failing– to hard? Or not hard at all? To witty? Of showing a total lack of wit? I wait for posting from all and sundry... not just a my own scant showings. I sought an out pouring-- not just from two or four but a flooding of words...rich and wild.. Moist with thought --growing daily...

a dry, arid scant showing is all I got – not a flood of words from all–only a flood from two. And small posts– small rain on a dry land-- nothing grows..

it is a joy that so many did try– and put out so much– and caught a mayday girl making a glaring faux pas–again and again- such a poor showing!

I would call you by sugar or syrup of hard working, flying bugs–how gross that sounds –but my thoughts–gold syrup–gold sugar--gold sugar liquid..Midas has not as much gold as I would wish to you..

So to a long night and holiday songs I go.. and as days grow long again, I might find I am wrong.. And this a just slow to start..that will fruit and grow in bright light of coming days or months.

#12890 12/22/00 09:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I, for one, grow weary of the "no ee" edict, and wish that someone had gone for something a bit different; such as "no ess" or "no pee" or whatever. perhaps a different sym. wood pose fewer probs, but the variety might provide for a bit of non-heavy entertainment. [grin]

#12891 12/23/00 03:41 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
The first Christmas sound
The member of the host did say
Was to certain poor shepherds
Recumbent in the hay

A tiny contribution, I know but word antics are not my thing but on seeing your sadness, oh mighty troy and tsuwm’s Christmas message – I thought, "What the he...ll!" Oh Sh*t! Never mind have a lovely No-el, anyway!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith