Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12762 12/12/00 09:15 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
all the posts regarding driving on the right (or not) have reminded me of one of my quixotic word quests. there is an actual word, purportedly of Scottish origin, which means "the right-hand hindmost horse that walks in the furrow in plowing" -- the word is 'furrahin' [it's in W3]. so, what is the word (if it exists) for the left-hand hindmost horse; and, if the word doesn't exist, why did they have a word for the right-hand one?

hopelessly,
the obscure word guy

#12763 12/13/00 02:29 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
In reply to:

all the posts regarding driving on the right (or not) have reminded me of one of my quixotic word quests. there is an actual word, purportedly of Scottish origin, which means "the right-hand hindmost horse that walks in the furrow in plowing" -- the word is 'furrahin' [it's in W3]. so, what is the word (if it exists) for the left-hand hindmost horse; and, if the word doesn't exist, why did they have a word for the right-hand one?

Do you ever have non-quixotic word quests, tsuwm?

'Furrahin' has me intrigued. Ahin is a Scottish word for behind, and fur or furr for furrow, so the word itself gives no clue to the horse being on the right. I found a glossary of Robbie Burns' poems that gave 'fur-ahin' (sic) as "the hindmost plough-horse in the furrow". I can't claim to be an expert on horse-drawn ploughs, but I wondered whether the reason 'right' isn't specified is that the usual configuration would result in the horses on the right walking in the furrow, while those on the left walk on the unploughed ground. As in this photo:
http://www.eastdevon.net/landscapes/old_new/page_90.htm

None of which answers your questions.

#12764 12/13/00 03:08 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My uncle used to have a team of Clydesdale or Shire horses (I can't tell one from the other) which competed in single-furrow ploughing competitions.

He had three horses although he often only used two. When he had all three in harness, there was one at the front and two at the back. The horses were always harnessed in the same combination. The one at the back on the right in the troika was called "Giddup, Jim!". The one on the left at the back was called "You lazy bastard, Alistair!".

This from the perspective of a child of between eight and ten years ... it could have been the other way round, of course.

Does this help your quest for that particular word? It could be "Jim". Or "Alastair". Alastair's Scottish, isn't it?

Incidentally the third horse which was always at the front was a mare called Nan. No fool, my uncle!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12765 12/13/00 09:57 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
No fool, my uncle!

I guess you can't truthfully call a farmer a fool for much more than a year!

#12766 12/13/00 11:53 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I used to use Shire horses for farmwork. The key point about ploughing is that as Marty was getting at, the horse walking in the furrow is the more important one, as this determines the mouldboard of the plough is placed to correctly turn only unbroken land. Perhaps this horse would therefore naturally get a unique name?

BTW, my favourite Shire gelding came from Yorkshire, so I had to learn Y. dialect terms to talk to him - "Gee back", "Arve" and others! The local Welsh terms were totally different and he would put on his most cunning "Wot, me?" look if I didn't speak Yorkshire.

PS Singles, pairs, and tricorn hitches are all fairly common, though a tricorn hitch would more normally be used for really heavy work like pulling a binder (precursor of the 'combined harvester' or combine).
The harness and equipment didn't vary enormously from one end of the UK to the other, but the words and terminology certainly did! For example, the spreader bar used to hitch a number of horses to one point of pull was variously known as 'swingle tree', 'swivel tree', and 'whipple tree' in almost adjacent counties. Just goes to show what we know on this board: even if you have a shovel in common, some folks will call it by a different name entirely

#12767 12/13/00 03:35 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Marty disclaims: None of which answers your questions.

au contraire, mon ami, the photograph (the horse on the right in the furrow) does explain the 'right' part of the definition (if it is typical). and the Robbie Burns connection is brilliant! the alternate spelling, furr-ahin, googled me this Robbie Burns poem:

The Inventory^1 In answer to a mandate by the Surveyor of the Taxes

Sir, as your mandate did request,I send you here a faithfu' list,
O' gudes an' gear, an' a' my graith,To which I'm clear to gi'e my aith.
Imprimis, then, for carriage cattle,I hae four brutes o' gallant mettle,
As ever drew afore a pettle.My hand-afore 's a guid auld has-been,
An' wight an' wilfu' a' his days been:My hand-ahin 's a weel gaun fillie,
That aft has borne me hame frae Killie.^2An' your auld borough mony a time
In days when riding was nae crime.But ance, when in my wooing pride
I, like a blockhead, boost to ride,The wilfu' creature sae I pat to,
(Lord pardon a' my sins, an' that too!)I play'd my fillie sic a shavie,
She's a' bedevil'd wi' the spavie.My furr-ahin 's a wordy beast,
As e'er in tug or tow was traced.The fourth's a Highland Donald hastle,
A damn'd red-wud Kilburnie blastie!Foreby a cowt, o' cowts the wale,
As ever ran afore a tail:Gin he be spar'd to be a beast,
He'll draw me fifteen pund at least.Wheel-carriages I ha'e but few,
Three carts, an' twa are feckly new;An auld wheelbarrow, mair for token,
Ae leg an' baith the trams are broken;I made a poker o' the spin'le,
An' my auld mither brunt the trin'le.
[Footnote 1: The "Inventory" was addressed to Mr. Aitken of Ayr, surveyor of
taxes for the district.]
---
so, a careful perusal <g> gives us 1) hand-afore 2) hand-ahin 3) furr-ahin and 4) ?furr-afore? for his four-brute team.

anyway, the question I had (the left-hand hindmost) would be the handahin, n'est-ce pas?

#12768 12/13/00 05:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav responded, inter alia: PS Singles, pairs, and tricorn hitches are all fairly common, though a tricorn hitch would more normally be used for really heavy work like pulling a binder (precursor of the 'combined harvester' or combine).

The breadth of experience displayed on this board never ceases to amaze me. Thanks Mav. You've explained a couple of things which I didn't understand about what my unc did (with his horses, of course). Damn - that just made it worse, didn't it?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12769 12/13/00 07:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tsuwm, that was absolutely brilliant.
That's the kind of thing I was hoping to find--I love discovering treasures in unlikely places!

I proffer a deep bow, sir.
Now--it's obvious, as you said, why the one in the furrow is the 'furr--'; but why is t'other one the 'hand--'?

mav--my father and his brothers called it a singletree.

#12770 12/13/00 07:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>The fourth's a Highland Donald hastle,

>so, a careful perusal <g> gives us 1) hand-afore 2) hand-ahin 3) furr-ahin and 4) ?furr-afore? for his four-brute team.

I would say it's probably a bridge. We have a bridge for fourth!!!

TEd
#12771 12/14/00 10:56 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
why is t'other one the 'hand?

Because that's the one 'in hand' when leading a pair or other hitch (you always lead from the left hand of the horse or horses, so with a pair you have the 'hand horse').

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith