veteran
J
Are the words reversed Max?

It's just a chiasmus.

sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
If by chiasmus you mean, "utterly typical synaptic malfunction", then, yes, absolutely.

J
veteran
veteran
J
No, more like a rhetorical device where two parallel constructions are reversed: like A and B, both B and A. Or some such. I.e., "Never let a fool kiss you, or a kiss fool you. &c.

sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>No, more like a rhetorical device where two parallel constructions are reversed: like A and B, both B and A.

Yep, that's what a chiasmus is. I, however, simply stuffed up, confusing etaoin by listing the English equivalents of the Hindi words in the wrong order. Since I didn't then even know what a chiasmus was, I must plead incompetence rather than ingenuity.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I found this on the net. I do not know whether it adds anything to the discussion. Thanks.

"Tadbhav words come from Sanskrit but through some regional language like Pali or Prakrit. They have changed along the way. Examples are bhai, behan, naak and kaan. Deshaj words come from languages other than Sanskrit, e.g. garhbarh and jagmag. Videshi words are words taken from foreign languages like Arabic, Persian, French and English. For instance, allah, namaz, kameez, aspataal and rail."

R
stranger
stranger
R
kameez is defitnitely Urdu and probably derives from Arabic.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
confusing etaoin

not a difficult task, most days...

camera=chamber made me think of unicameral, which starts to make sense!

formerly known as etaoin...
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
the process of having a small opening in the wall of an other wise dark room, would created a faint, (and upside down) image on the wall opposite the the opening.

Wow, really of Troy? I've never heard of that before. Is this just a memory statement or do you have a site I can go to, to read up about it. It sounds very interesting and I'd love to know the reason behind it.

J
veteran
veteran
J
I visited an optometrist once, whose waiting room was a camera obscura (literally 'dark room'). It was fun watching the activities of the parking lot upside down on the wall opposite the small opening.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Another hint of (usually Persian) loanwords is the presence of a {z}, {f}, etc. Written with devanagri letters {j} and {ph} with dots to modify their pronunciation. One of the first signs I saw on my arrival to India written in devanagri read neshiNal baink National Bank ... (transcription from memory, may be wrong) ...

As for the Hindi terms, they're all tadbhava, i.e., Sanskrit words.

tadbhava tad 'that' + bhava 'being, becoming'; also tajja < tad (before a {j}) + ja 'born' ... A Sanskrit loanword (into a Prakrit language).

deshaja 'country-born, native': < desha 'place, region' cf. Bangladesh 'land of the Bengals', Anglo-Indian desi 'native of India'.

videshi 'snother country, foreign, abroad' < vi- 'apart, asunder' + desha.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith