About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#126342 03/30/04 11:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If they won't let you do it for the reasons outlined above you can rally spark the kids interest in Shakespeare by explaining that you wanted to do it but the teen-sex and violence made it inappropriate for their tender little minds.

#126343 03/30/04 01:28 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
>>please note them here<<

Well, if you're going to show films, you might consider Peter Brook's Lear and Michael Almereyda's Hamlet. These are interesting for 'opposite' reason's of anachronism, not, however, because of the Almereyda film's modern urban setting. Brook's is a psychological exploration of Lear, probably placing the storm, for example, within the abdicator's psychoscape. Whereas Almereyda's refers the drama of Hamlet, probably the most psychological of Shakespeaer's plays, to the level of (to roll out that tired term) the image.

I don't know how easy it is to get your hands on the Brook. Although, I know it was released on 16mm. Even harder to get, I'm sure, would be a film of his historic stage version "Midsummer Night's Dream," which transformed Shakespearean stage production. You might get your hands on something, somehow, at the Royal Shakespear Theater.

And then, you could torture them with Gounod.

Finally, there is very entertaining recent documentary concerning the argument that C. Marlowe wrote most of the Shakespearean canon and including interviews with members of the Marlowe Society and their opponents.

#126344 03/30/04 01:52 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
It's another example of Mr Shakespeare pandering to his audience's baser instincts.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the highblown passages were a sop for the Jacobean intelligentsia, so they wouldn't feel so guilty about enjoying all the sex and violence. Come to think of it, they wouldn't have had a problem with any of it. It took later generations to tut-tut and tsk-tsk certain passages in WS' texts. Reminds me of the folks who wrote new libretti for Così fan tutte in the 19th century, because they couldn't stand Mozart's divine music embellishing whorish words.

#126345 03/30/04 02:48 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Yes, we will read R&J all the way through. I'm going to introduce the play with Zefferelli's interpretation, which is my favorite.

I remember, from my own High School days, that the Zefferelli version contains some nudity, too (if that is something to worry about). I remember my gruff old English teacher silencing the requisite giggles and snickers with an exasperated, "Oh, come on. It's nothing you haven't seen before."

Personally I loved the recent Baz Luhrmann version. While the acting wasn't top notch, it was at least good, and the combination of incredible stylized modern visuals with the (almost complete) orginal script is striking and, I would guess, helpful to young people not used to WS.

#126346 03/30/04 06:38 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
They might be interested to know that Shakepseare has more to say to business people nowadays than some of the CEO's who are making headlines:

Shakespeare in Charge: The Bard's Guide to Leading and Succeeding On the Business Stage

In fact, Shakespeare might help explain why and how some of those CEOs are making those headlines.

http://www.powerhomebiz.com/vol82/shakespeare.htm

#126347 03/30/04 07:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But, I can't really answer for their æsthetics.

- and -

...highblown passages were a sop for the Jacobean intelligentsia, so they wouldn't feel so guilty about enjoying all the sex and violence. Come to think of it, they wouldn't have had a problem with any of it.

Not that morals and æsthetics need a stake driven between, but.

#126348 03/30/04 08:06 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
they couldn't stand Mozart's divine music embellishing whorish words

"Whorish words" had some standing in Mozart's day, jheem.
And others simply applauding.

#126349 03/30/04 09:52 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
This will be a three-week unit on Romeo and Juliet, which is in our curriculum guide. It won't be a film festival on Shakespeare, though I'd love that!

I want my students to assume the roles of groundlings at their 21st century virgin viewing of Shakespeare--I'll give the bare bones plot summary and set Zefferelli upon them. The nudity is minimal--and, after reviewing the DVD over Easter, if I think it's over the line, I can always censor. But I don't think it will be necessary. What I love about the Zefferelli is the high-pitched and natural enthusiasm of the lovers. Very believable.

I know you all have seen the list of insults--you put three Shakespearean terms together to form an insult. I thought my kids might like creating an insult and then performing it as part of a class recording. We have a DVD camera, so the kids can see themselves delivering insults. I also read about an opening activity in which words and phrases of the prologue are read in-the-round--we may try this activity.

I hope that the unit will be fun, aural, dramatic and realistic in the sense that the kids will see there is a connection between teens of today and those four hundred years ago.

Thanks, as always, for your comments. Faldage, your suggestion about 'Shakespeare in Love' is terrific! I will follow through on that one!

#126350 03/30/04 10:37 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You might want to try a movie with actors that they'll reconize. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999 version) with:

Kevin Kline....Nick Bottom
Michelle Pfeiffer....Titania
Stanley Tucci....Puck (Robin Goodfellow)
Rupert Everett....Oberon
Calista Flockhart....Helena

#126351 03/30/04 11:32 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
That was my point. Da Ponte's words are inseparable, for me, from Mozart's music.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith