Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#12579 12/11/00 04:50 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I've always wondered whether this was just an indicator of colour perception problems among Kentuckians, or if there is some other perfectly logical explanation for it. Oh, if only there was someone here from Kentucky who could enlighten us all by posting the answer to this query!

#12580 12/11/00 05:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max grumbled ... Oh, if only there was someone here from Kentucky who could enlighten us all by posting the answer to this query!

Max, Louisville ain't all that far from Kentucky. Maybe you should ask Jackie to nip over and check it all out for you!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12581 12/11/00 06:06 AM
B
addict
addict
B
Ditto the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney. They don't look blue to me, although apparently they have a bluish haze or tint.

I guess it may be that put next to something more 'traditionally' green, these things have a blue tinge.

Colour is notoriously hard to pin down precisely in words. The Chinese (Mandarin) word 'qing' is used for the blue of the sky and the purple of distant mountains and the green of grass. The Japanese use the same character (and pronounce it aoi) for the green of traffic lights.

#12582 12/11/00 06:08 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Max, Louisville ain't all that far from Kentucky.

Foiled again! I received some bad news today, and decided to cheer myself up with a little puckish fun. I posted the "bluegrass" question in a deliberate attempt to lure Jackie into posting, knowing that she is striving mightily to avoid being first to 1100. I even reset my personal preferences to decline personal messages, hoping to force her to post her answer publicly. After all that, I remembered that she has already thrown herself into the arms of Morpheus! Damn!

#12583 12/11/00 06:24 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Colour is notoriously hard to pin down precisely in words. The Chinese (Mandarin) word 'qing' is used for the blue of the sky and the purple of distant mountains and the green of grass. The Japanese use the same character (and pronounce it aoi) for the green of traffic lights.

Apparently different languages have different numbers of important colour words, and which colours will be included progresses in a predictable way, so that for example, if there is a word for red there will be a word for blue but not necessariy vice versa. I'll try and find my reference for this.

Bingley

Bingley
#12584 12/11/00 08:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Max stammered, mightly p---ed off at CK: Foiled again!

Oops - my speciality ...

And he scandalously went on: After all that, I remembered that she has already thrown herself into the arms of Morpheus!

Max, WHAT are you suggesting! Jackie's a married woman!

And on that (slightly) blue note, I'll leave.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12585 12/11/00 02:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Kentucky blue grass is blue-- the way a blue spruce is blue, or the way some Hosta's are blue-- which is to say is a shade of green with a definite bluish cast– it is America's native bamboo– somehow, bamboo is different than other grasses-- but the details of the difference are lost. Any one with more knowledge of botany?

I have the habit of reading– and unlike those of you who have gone to university and actually learned one or two subjects extreme well, and many subjects very well, I am more of jack of all trades. I read a bit of this and a bit of that, and know a little, and then forget half of it, about all sorts of things.. like blue grass being a bamboo and not just a grass and then forgetting how bamboo differs from grass.

#12586 12/11/00 05:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Apparently different languages have different numbers of important colour words, and which colours will be included progresses in a predictable way, so that for example, if there is a word for red there will be a word for blue but not necessariy vice versa. I'll try and find my reference for this.

yes, I have seen/read discussions about this.
It usually starts with Homer– and his "wine dark sea" and did the Greeks see the colors blue and red as being shades of the same color– since wine tends to be red.

Wine stains, and the stains can start red, and then dry to blue– so characterizing red as being a shade of blue is not as hard as we might think.( See more on this below)

But I have always thought he was comparing the normally clear water of the Aegean with the muddied waters of a storm– and the sea was dark with sediment as wine is dark with sediment, rather than the color...

Color is just a specific frequency of light, that the human optic nerves respond to in almost the same way, but how we label the resulting color is cultural. Is teal green or is it blue?

There are also certain dyes for silk, that are like a litmus paper– the pale sky blue dye changes color as it ages and goes to a pale lavender, and then to pink–one of my first silk blouses had this characteristic.
And this sort of color change also occurs in nature...

It is interesting to look at crayons, or other art material and see the names colors are given. Some are pretty clear cut– titanium white, or chrome yellow, but ‘sky blue"? Or taupe? Some colors, to me, that have a very specific meanings –Ecru which is raw linen color– also known as tow (as in "tow haired boy with cheeks of tan"(Walt Whitman?))have come to mean any number of shades of pale beige.

Well to be honest, tow is unspun linen, and spun and woven linen is ecru..and they are not quite the same color, but they are very close.

#12587 12/11/00 06:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Walt Whitman?

Whittier. Though almost a third of the first dozen or so web sites that you hit with a google search of "barefoot boy with cheeks of tan" say James Whitcombe Riley!

There is, of course, a very wonderful pun (are there any other sorts of puns?) that relies in this poem for inspiration.

TEd
#12588 12/11/00 06:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
maybe there are two different poems with barefoot boys?

I always remember the "tow haired"-- since it was applied to me as a child,( i was tow haired. )
the "blonde" i have now is thanks to lady clairol, since it now is ashier and darker..except for the grey!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith