About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I realize that some of the threads here may be intimidating; I know they were for me, at first. There are people here with mighty intellects and formidable knowledge of words and language.

However, I would venture to say that the majority of us are just "regular" people who enjoy discussing language-related topics. (Any or all of you "regulars", feel free to disavow that statement. Just note: I didn't say "normal"! ) We old-timers have had some discussions around these differences, and have so far been unable to come up with anything better than, "Read what you want to read, and skip the rest." We have tried, a few times, setting up that certain threads or categories will be for such-and-such, but human nature being what it is, that soon falls apart. I for one would welcome suggestions on how to resolve anyone's unhappiness with the way things are. I am also rather glad I'm not one of the "big boys"; they must get so weary of having to explain the same things, again and again and again. Anyway--

I hereby invite you to join in actively. Make a post wherever you feel the most comfortable. Even if it's "only" an opinion, that's fine. An experience ("I've always heard/said it this way...", for ex.) is fine. Someone here once said that the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. So... You will find practical info. on the technicalities, and more, about this place, in Tips for Newcomers at the top of this category. We are by and large nice people here, and unlikely to snap your head off. If there's "snapping" going on, something unusual must have happened. So--please stick your toes in--no need to fear sharks! :-)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So--please stick your toes in--no need to fear sharks! :-)

I can't help it, Jackie.
This comment brought to mind the time I tried to lure my two year old daughter into the ocean in Mazatlan. I was standing ankle deep in the water, coaxing her, telling her there was nothing to be frightened of when all of a sudden I was stung by a jellyfish!

That doesn't mean I'm implying that this will happen here, but a jellyfish is a minor irritation compared to sharkbite...

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Dunno about that, Connie. We saw on the Discovery Channel (I think) the other day about the box jellyfish off the coast(s?) of Australia. I believe it said their poison is 10,000 (ten thousand) times more potent than cyanide. One of the many reasons why I always prefer to swim in places where live things cannot get at me. I do not like slimy lake bottoms [shudder e], and, though I have swum in the ocean, it is always with trepidation.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Funny you should mention that, Jackie.
I have found that a dip in the ocean waters has the power to rejuvenesce me physically; and a dip in the waters of AWADtalk has the power to rejuvenesce my thoughts.
So, welcome one and all, be not afraid!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Howye fokes

How is things? It's being yonks since me last confessi...er...visit.
Jackie - if ya hate slimy lake bottoms, ya should see Loxy's - now that would scare the swimmen togs of anyone. And isn't that trepidation person ded nice ta go swimmen with ya? A frend in kneed is a frend in deep fer sure.

Well, I've nothin else intilligint ta say this fine evenen. MadDogTedd and Albear Camoo was asken fer ya all.

Be seein ya

GT

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wadaya mean, "nothin else intilligint ..." ?

Welcome back, Gallant Ted.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Dear Smarteye (if that is yer real name)

Thanks indeed fer yer wellcome back message - it's grate ta be threaden these boreds again. However, re yer openen comment re me intilligince, might I suggest that ya go out and get a bita fresh air fer yourself - been stuck in Pluto's cave fer so long can't be healthy. Sure, it's no wonder yer eyes are smarten.

Be seein ya

GallantTed

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Alls I did was axe a question, is all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
An alls I did was hammer home the answer.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith