Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#125097 03/12/04 04:59 AM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
here then are the perpetrators and the votes; ASp, WO’N and Wordwind all collected 3 votes while jheem, Bingley and dxb all had it right – so if I disremember the scoring incorrectly we have a six-sided tie:

a) Exhibiting great age or maturity; said of old trees or timber showing an exceptionally high number of growth rings. [Asp] Asp, maxq, WO’N, Zed

b) Of minerals, etc. bearing buxite. A type of ore in which the iron content is more that 50% oxidised. It is of little value due to the difficulty of extracting useable metal.[Zed, Bingley]

c) Bearing a fruit with an edible pit and inedible flesh, such as the almond. [Faldage] consuelo, Rhuby

d) Pocked and furrowed with air canals from quick cooling; esp. certain lava-formed rocks. [WO’N] belM, shanks, etaoin

e) Having a fine bosom; Dolly Partonesque. "Go gently, mistress! Th'art buxiferous and, once gonfled, his passions rest not 'til his course run out." ~ Shakespeare: Merry Wives of Windsor [Sparteye, dxb]

f) A permanently bloated state (i.e., "beer gut"). [musick]

g) Bearing or producing box-trees. [OED2/Bailey 1721] jheem, Bingley, dxb

h) Pertaining to any mineral with a cubic crystalline structure, eg NaCL (common salt) [shanks] Jackie

i) A description for someone who is gnashing their teeth, usually during sleep. [Jackie]

j) Bearing indihiscent fruits with fleshy mesocarps and bony endocarps. [Wordwind] Faldage, wofa, Sparteye

k) Having breast-shaped florets, i.e. hemispherical, with a small protuberance at the end. [wofa]

l) Mythical species of tree; "Money doen't grow on trees, ya know". [vanguard] Wordwind

m) Bearing boxes, gifts. [jheem]

n) The state of being good at the art of unraveling the frayed, tangled ends on woven goods, such as towels, napkins, and rugs. [etaoin]

o) Performing a ritual mating display, showy. [consuelo] musick, f’babe

p) Pertaining to clothing (usually) that is reminiscent of the armour worn by the female warriors in the Ring cycle. [RC]

q) Arising from the dark arts, derived from bexom, bezom plus -ferous, literally broom-riding. [Ted] Ted

notes:
1) okay, first let’s get the irregularities and armilaries out of the way

there were 5 variations on the buxom theme; I combined the first two into (e), while correcting the spelling of Partonesque, and I solicited retries from the others – none of this helped, as amongst the five of them only Ted scored a vote, which he cast for himself. here then are the 5:
-having a large bosom; Dolly Pardonesque [Sparteye]
-displaying a fine bosom. "Go gently, mistress! Th'art buxiferous and, once gonfled, his passions rest not 'til his course run out." ~ Shakespeare: Merry Wives of Windsor. [dxb]
- large-bosomed (19th c. jocular) – [Bingley]
- street slang for the quality of being buxom, as in, "damn! that's one buxiferous babe, man!" [etaoin]
- Zaftig -- capable of carrying off being buxom. [TEd]
(oh, and then we have (k) from wofa)

there were also two variations on bauxite from Zed and Bingley, which I combined into (b).

all things considered, the armil® goes to Bingley for twice being prosaic.

2) as to the rookies, shanks and vanguard each collected a vote, while jheem impressed the committee (me) with this PM:
Well, buxus is Latin for the box (i.e., the tree), so I suppose buxiferous is a word meaning 'bearing box-trees'. But as our English word box, means both the tree and the container. could it be that your word means 'bearing boxes, gifts'? Or dangerous? Fun word nevertheless. The Greek is pyxos, and there's also pyxis which gives us pyx which is a 'box for storing communion wafers in'.
I took the “bearing boxes, gifts” as his entry, which proved to be too clever by half; but he got the correct answer, of course.

3) there was no additional entry from the moderator; my buxom and bauxite ideas proved worthless.

4) the discerning will note that the list of entrants numbered 19 and there were but 17 def’ns. (see 1)

5) three(3) of the original entries were rejected and resubmissions were accepted (see 1)

6) and finally, here is maxq’s vote that followed upon Anna’s, which speaks eloquently for itself given the results: So, my dear ASp, please remember to vent at the wordmeister when you lose, since it is at his insistence that I am hexing you by choosing A.

very respectfully, your obt. svt.
joe friday,
hogmaster

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the committee (me) tsuwm, you are the best, the absolute best!
http://www.elite.net/~runner/jennifers/thankyou.htm

Hey, vanguard? Nofe air, lurking about and larking about with unexpected (though welcomed!) contest entries, 'less I start seeing POSTS with your name attached. [arms akimbo, mock frown e]

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Miz Jackie, I most humbly 'pologize, ma'am, I just don't have bunches of time at work to post. I usually check out AWAD at lunch time and get through a bunch of posts, but I never do seem to get caught up. By the time I get to read things, they are so far past (you know, several days and/or fify posts) that it seem pointless to post.

Case in point - I just went and voted for this Hogwash round, not noticing that Tsuwm had already posted the results. I got it wrong anyway!

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? -Ursula K. Le Guin, author (1929- )
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I got it wrong anyway!

And opened up the possibility of expanding a six way tie to a seven way tie.

I'll understand, tsuwm, if you elect to disqualify vanguard's vote.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yo, Max! Does the result alter your Weltanschauung any?

Thanks, tsuwm, for yet another rousing round and your masterful handling thereof.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
re: a six-or-seven-way tie

thas a really knotty problem. a seven-sided tie would be really difficult to accurately represent (51.42857143 degrees per each?). to say nothing of the 52 complaints it might generate.

say! here's an idea: we could let grapho make the call. he had lots of opinions about other people's choices, and never spoke for himself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Yo, Max! Does the result alter your Weltanschauung any?

Only marginally. Before I even voted, I said that the whole exercise would be pointless for me, and so it was, save that I learned a lesson all who write for a living know by heart:

Never trust an editor.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>Never trust an editor.

that was obviously a shot across my bow. put your complaints in triplicate and send them to.. oh, say, snoot.
-ron

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>that was obviously a shot across my bow.

Mais nyet, mijn amico. 'Twas aimed at an editrix, I do swear on my mother's grave.

#125106 03/12/04 11:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>'Twas aimed at an editrix

Whom? <eg>

Having been on both sides, I gotta tell you: try trying to trust yer own sef when you get caught in the middle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 738 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith