Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#125039 03/11/04 08:52 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
tsuwm published a useless word porrect that stuck with me for some unfathomable reason. Porrect is an adjective referring to antennae that point forwards. Well, as I was thinking about this truly odd, virtually worthless word--at least in ordinary discourse--I wondered what might be the equally worthless adjectives to describe antennae pointing upwards, backwards, and straight out sideways.

I don't suppose anyone is privy to those useless beauties?

#125040 03/11/04 12:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was a radar tech in the Navy and my ship, being the floating office of a Joint Chief of Staffs team, was quite, um, anal about many things. When in port we were required to make sure that all our radar antennas were porrectly orientatized.

#125041 03/11/04 01:24 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
It can be applied to other body parts on insects, like mandibles. My oldest friend in the world -- we've known each other since 2nd grade -- has an AB in entomology, as does his wife, and they can carry on "normal" conversations using all kinds of strange words. (I often wonder what kind of vocabulary their daughter will have; they're all musicians, too.) Since a lot of taxonomy is based on shape, position, and orientation, this kind of terminology is common.

On to the etymology: L porrectus ppl of porrigo, porgo 'to reach out, extend, offer' (< por- 'forward' + rego 'to keep in a straight line').

#125042 03/11/04 04:15 PM
G
addict
addict
G
tsuwm published a useless word porrect that stuck with me for some unfathomable reason

"Porrect" may be a useless word, Wordwind, but it gave rise to the very useful term "politically porrect" which stands in sharp contrast to the more familiar term "politically correct".

A "politically correct" statement doesn't really make a point because it has too many antennae pointing in too many directions.

A "politically porrect" statement has its antennae pointing only in one direction, straight forward.

"Politically porrect" statements aren't as politically sensitive as "politically correct" statements, but at least they make a point and they are more likely to be honest.

Most people prefer straight-forward "politically porrect" statements, but they almost never get them from their elected representatives.

It might be a good idea to publish a "Politically Porrect" magazine.

Every issue would showcase "politically correct" statements made by leading politicians during the previous month accompanied by the "politically porrect" translation.

The magazine could also publish a list of "politically porrect" candidates offering themselves for election in the near future. The list is likely to be very short.

#125043 03/11/04 11:47 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
"The magazine could also publish a list of "politically porrect" candidates offering themselves for election in the near future."

or those running in the Near East.

#125044 03/11/04 11:56 PM
G
addict
addict
G
or those running in the Near East

Those running in the Near East have already run out of sight, Zed. According to de Troy, there hasn't been a genuine Near East sighting in years.

#125045 03/13/04 09:13 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
jheem,

Oh, it would be terrific if you would ask your entomologist friends what the terms for sideways, upward and even backwards-pointing antennae might be, if such terms exist, and report back here. There's no connection between porridge and porrigo, is there?

Faldage, your story was funny. I imagined a huge, floating, metallic waterbug transporting sailors.

#125046 03/13/04 11:43 AM
G
addict
addict
G
Re what are "the terms for sideways, upward and even backwards-pointing antennae"?

You can be straight forward in any direction, Wordwind, as long as you are pointing in the right direction.

However if your point strays from the right direction, either as the result of dishonesty, cowardice or ignorance, your probity requires porrection.

Entomologically speaking, antennae are porrect if they are "stretched out" in any direction, but the usual direction is straight forward.

A sagging antenna is not porrect even if it is pointing straight forward.* Politicians with this infirmity are said to be passionless. There simply isn't enough blood flowing through to their point.

Moral of the story:

If you're going to make a point, you'd better be ready to stand up for it.

Defn. "porrect" [Amer. Heritage Dictionary]
ADJECTIVE: Zoology Stretched out or forth; extended, especially forward: porrect mandibles.

Latin porrctus, past participle of porrigere, to stretch out: por-, forward, out;

* This condition is known as "probity erectile dysfunction". It is treatable but the cure never takes for an entire term of office.

A politician who suffers from P.E.D. might discharge his duty with distinction on a single occasion (or even for a single weekend with the latest medications), but you can never count on sustained performance.

To put the point bluntly, he just isn't up to it most of the time.

#125047 03/13/04 01:09 PM
G
addict
addict
G
For future discussion- perhaps?: "porrect" vs "correct"

It is said that a person can never be "porrect" unless they are "correct", but the same person can go through their entire life being "correct" without ever being "porrect".

"Porrect" people stand up for what they know is right. "Correct" people say what they know is right but they never stand up for it.

People who stand up for what they know is wrong are obviously "inporrect" but, if they are in the majority, probity doesn't matter.

In fact, probity isn't worth a tinker's dam.

"Inporrect" people are more concerned about their position than they are about their position. Therefore, it doesn't really matter what position they are taking, whether it is sideways or backwards.

Whatever position you take on this, one thing is certain. An "inporrect" position can never lead onwards, or upwards.

#125048 03/13/04 02:07 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
People who stand up for what they know is wrong are obviously "inporrect"

Of course you mean imporrect as in self-imporrect or Homo imporrectus.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith