Page 1 of 2 1 2
#124810 03/08/04 12:25 AM
G
grapho Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G
The action of this novel starts when the oldest pig on the farm, Old Major, calls all animals to a secret meeting. He tells them about his dream of a revolution against the cruel Mr Jones.

"Any great change must expect opposition because it shakes the very foundation of privilege." Lucretia Mott

Let the tinkers tink, and the thinkers think, and let's all live together in harmony.

No thinker has ever made much of a thread without a tinker to fill in the voids.

#124811 03/08/04 02:04 AM
G
grapho Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G
No thinker has ever made much of a thread without a tinker to fill in the voids.

P.S. Yet let's give thinkers their due.

No tinker who has ever filled a void has ever made a coat of a patch.

Moral of the story: We need one another.

The only thing that separates tinkers from thinkers is the 8th letter of the alphabet.

We have so much left over to work with ... I tink.

#124812 03/08/04 01:04 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
-- give the thinkers their due -- which droppeth from heaven like the quality of mercy. For if the Cartesian thinkers did not, they would not be – then what use for tinkers or knitters? For it is the tinkers who keep the knitters in stitches.

Indeed, the whole proposition is a stitch-up

#124813 03/08/04 04:36 PM
G
grapho Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G
For it is the tinkers who keep the knitters in stitches.

I agree tinkers and thinkers have more in common than 25 letters of the alphabet, and we should try to stitch over our differences.

Come to think of it, that's a good job for the tinkers.

You may be interested in this review of "Apes, Language and the Human Mind" which may give thinkers reason to question whether "Cartesian thinkers" are all they are cut out to be.

Review:

"The authors then proceed to show that arguments which have been used to bolster the existential gap view in fact are incapable of supporting the notion that humans themselves have the exclusive and proprietary capacities which Cartesian thinkers have attributed to them. That is, (a) the evidence which such thinkers use purportedly to prove the existence of various capacities in humans is shown to be equally in evidence in at least one kind of animal, but (b) the evidence which is used purportedly to disprove these capacities in animals is shown in fact to be inadequate to prove the existence of those capacities in humans. In other words, as is further suggested in the final chapter, we have no logical or evidential basis for maintaining the Cartesian view, and the implications for our own human behavior are accordingly far-reaching."

Full Review at:

http://www.outdoorshub.com/Apes_Language_and_the_Human_Mind_0195109864.html

Though it defies conventional tinking, it may be that the distance between human and ape intelligence is no greater than the distance between thinker and tinker intelligence.

Personally, I think the jury is still out on this.

Apes may be able to close the gap faster than tinkers, but I don't thinks apes will ever be able to close a void.

They don't have the fingers for it.

#124814 03/08/04 05:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this is all very strange. Tink (KNIT backwards) and tinking, (un knitting a few stitches) is one thing. tinkers, (itinerent workers who came round to fix the holes in your tin pots and pans, and who are the 'stars' of many a bawdy ballad!) are something else.
now days, the term tinkers is generaly used on anyone who fixes up, or puts something that was broken to a new use (just as tinkers of old make old leaky pots into something useful again) --by just thinking about how it can best be used-- not following any specific instructions or directions.

then there are knitters, fiber artist, and nit pickers.. and finally there are thinkers.

the groups are not exclusive!

i am thinker, and a tinker (new sense of the word!) and a knitter, and on occation i have been a nit picker(both literally and figuratively!)

some here aren't much for nit picking (literally or figuatively!) more aren't much for knitting, but most are both tinkers and thinkers!

#124815 03/08/04 05:22 PM
G
grapho Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
G
Re: "we should try to stitch over our differences.
... Come to think of it, that's a good job for the tinkers."

and

"I am a thinker and a tinker ... and a knitter".

You're right. You are all of these things ... and more, of Troy.

I should have given the job to you!

In fact, I think I have.

Thank you.

As a thinker, I can give you a run for your money. But as a tinker, you are way beyond me.

You can't beat an all-round t-h-inker.

#124816 03/12/04 07:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Helen:

i would have used tinker as an intransitive verb and tinkerer as a noun, in place of tink and tinkering. OED supports both approaches, but leaves the impression that tinkering is the art of trying ineffectually to fix things, if such can be an art rather than artless.

I wonder if there isn;t some regionalism invovled here.

Not surprisingly, tinker is an English and Scots term for a gypsy.

TEd

TEd
#124817 03/12/04 11:47 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Tinker may once have meant "gypsy", but now the epithet for gypsy in Northamptonshire and probably the rest of the country, said with as much bile as possible, is f**cking gippos!

They are also known as "travellers" by a lot of people. It's probably a better description, as most of them don't seem to have any Romany heritage.

As far as I can tell, "tinker" has reverted to someone itinerant who fixes things.

"Tinkering" has alway meant "trying to do something without noticeable success" to me.

#124818 03/12/04 01:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there are 'gypsies' -- a group of indian-sub continent people (based on language and DNA data) who used to be unsettled demi-artitians (and or demi theives) in most of eastern centeral europe. they like the jews, the homosexuals, the handicapped, were largely wiped out 60 some years ago. only a very small percentage of them still survive. they tend to have dark skin, and hair, and spoke their own language. there were never liked, and had the reputation of being theives and con artist.

a small percentage managed to move to western europe, and some retreated further east, and some ended up in US.

there are also travellers. travellers are mostly irish, (at least in US) and travellers are demi con men, and traders. they speak gaelic, with a specialized vocabulary, and they, too, are a semi nomadic people. (nowday living in RV's and/or mobil homes)

there are also tinkers. tinkers travelled (and were sometimes travellers, but tinkers mostly did small repairs on tin (and copper glaced tin) pot. they were also famous for 'lifting silver spoon' or other items from the kitchens they worked in.

(a) tinker is a noun, (to) tinker is a verb.

a tinker's dam (crossing thread!) is the small dam of putty a tinker would build round the hole in a pot before attempting to repair the pot with molten metal. when the solder (tin and lead!) was hard, the dam was knocked off. a tinkers dam is a fragile, temporary thing, of little use, made with cheap material, and not expected to last more than a few minutes--or, at least, thats how it started. nowdays, a tinkers dam is anything that is short lived, and generally worthless!

(authority for all this? NONE! but tinker's dam did come up before, and i know a little about travellers, and gypsies from general reading. gypsies got there name because they were supposed to have come from eygpt. (In england they were called the 'Romany', because they were thought to come from Romania, or to be 'left over' ancient romans)but post WWII studies of the surviving gypsies indicate their language was closer to language of the indian sub continent (i forget which, not a big one that i knew of).
of the 10 million killed in the death camps, over 6 million were jews. gypsies were the next biggest 'ethnic' group. their life style didn't create any great culture, and they don't have educated articulate spokesmens to tell their story.)

#124819 03/12/04 02:16 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Well, this thread is becoming a little disquieting, but I thought I'd through out some etymologies. Though there is some confusion amongst non-Roma as to whether the Roma came from Egypt (i.e., Gypsies) or Romania (i.e., "Romany"), the origin of the name of the people and their language is usually derived: rom 'man' which is akin to Prakrit d.oma 'man of low caste origin', Sanskrit d.om(b)a 'low caste male musician'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith