Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#124788 03/12/04 10:57 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Well, I found it, it is a variety of milkweed that we have up here. It is the Asclepias syriaca L. Seemed to coincidental that I'd remember that name, but the pictures you had didn't look exactly like our version.

Oh, I found it in a book called "The Magic and Medicine of Plants" which I recommend highly.

It has a picture and an illustration of each plant, a description of how it was used in the past and current knowledge on plant. In addition to its habitat, range, identification info, and its uses.

It is very interesting, and because of the exactitude of descriptions, you can't go wrong when you find the plant in the field - this to the great chagrin of my Hubby who groans whenever I eat some plant I've just found in a field or in the woods (A great believer in grocery stores, Hubby is.)

#124789 03/13/04 05:18 AM
OP Offline
Oh, I found it in a book called "The Magic and Medicine of Plants" which I recommend highly.

Oh, that sounds good. I'll have to check it out and see if I can get it on half.com or something. I'm a bit of an amateur botanist. I almost majored in botany actually, but was dissuaded by a certain college professor who didn't believe girls belonged in that department. But that's another story.

I just looked up Asclepias syriaca L. and I see that it's called "common milkweed". The leaves are broader than on the plants in my garden. And the pods seem to hang on a lot more prominently as well. Seems well endowed for sure.

http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/detail.asp?SpCode=ASCSYR

Do you have this species in your garden, belMarduk? If you'd be interested in the species I have here, I'd be happy to mail some seeds to you. (Though is that allowed between here and Québec?)

#124790 03/13/04 12:16 PM
G
addict
addict
G
I almost majored in botany actually, but was dissuaded by a certain college professor who didn't believe girls belonged in that department.

I guess he figured you didn't have the anatomy for it. Go figure.

#124791 03/15/04 12:53 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Allo GF

I don't have any Milkweed in my garden. I haven't seen any in years. At one point, they were considered common weeds, and now, can hardly be found in the city or adjacent area. A shame really, I like rustic plants.

I'd be really interested to see if your variety would grow in my garden since this is a different zone. You're an angel to offer. I'll send you my addy by PM.

#124792 03/15/04 01:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Though is that allowed between here and Québec?)
if your variety would grow in my garden

oy... I'm probably the only one, but it seems to me that there's a reason that some things shouldn't be shared...

formerly known as etaoin...
#124793 03/15/04 01:40 AM
OP Offline
oy... I'm probably the only one, but it seems to me that there's a reason that some things shouldn't be shared...

I do agree with you. We have lots of invasive plants here in Florida that do not belong here. It's a big problem.

Don't know if this will put your mind at ease, etaoin, but, according to my plant books, Asclepias tuberosa is actually native to North America from Canada to Florida. So, I won't be sending anything to the Great North that isn't already there.

It's here in a list of plants native to Canada:
http://www.trca.on.ca/events/take_action/default.asp?load=native_plants

I'd be happy to send some to you, too.

#124794 03/15/04 01:42 AM
OP Offline
Great belMarduk! Consider it sent.

#124795 03/15/04 02:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
to send some to you, too.

oh, no, thanks. I got plenty of milkweed here in my own yard already...

we have on occasion, fried up the buds in a bit of butter, before the leaves start to spread. quite good...

and thanks for setting my mind at ease...

formerly known as etaoin...
#124796 03/15/04 02:27 AM
With all of this talk of milk weed, it got me to thinking and remembering. When I was growing up, we used to go out and collect all of the pods we could find; which was a lot of fun, especially considering how sticky we got and how long we were allowed to stay out searching for these sticky surprises that would explode sometimes in our hands. Anyway, I digress. As I was saying, I was remembering that we would collect these pods and then we would dry the "fluff" if you will or "silks" in these wire mesh drying racks, once the fibers and seeds were dry then we would gather them up and then fill pillows and blankets or re stuff the saddles for the horses if they were in need of this treatment. They were surprisingly soft and comfortable. I even recall a time where we tried mixing the silk fibers with wool from the sheep, very interesting combination.
I find myself curious to know if anyone else has had this experience and if so, would you happen to know the boiling recipe for the pods so that they are not poisonous?

Thanks for the memories.

Rev. Alimae

Rev. Alimae
#124797 03/15/04 01:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh yes--a recipe.

only milkweed- still considered a weed, is getting rarer and rarer here in the NY area, and i suppose i shouldn't be collecting them to eat. chicory and thistle survive.. chicory thrives in NYC-it is the most common 'road side' plant along the edges of highways.

i have collected daylily flower buds to eat, but they are so cheap in the chinese grocery (1lb of dried flower buds are just $1!) that its hardly worth the effort to collect them. --and common daylilies are so pretty. (but my garder was filled with fancy hybrid types mostly!) the common ones had a spot in the back by the compost heap.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith