About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#124099 02/29/04 10:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dunno bout no NZ possums. I know Oz possums aren't the real possums. Far as I know the American possums are the onliest real ones. Leastwards they ain' the same animal as any of the faux possums and parbly don' taste anywheres near the same. So don' be judging no American possums flavor on the basis of the flavour of them ersatz ones.

#124100 02/29/04 10:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From World Book 2002:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Possum is a type of furry mammal that lives in the trees of Australia, New Guinea, and nearby islands. Possums are marsupials--that is, the females give birth to young that complete their development while attached to the mother's nipples. Like most marsupials, young possums develop while carried about in a pouch on their mother's abdomen. Both possums and opossums are marsupials, but they are not closely related.

Possums move about at night and sleep during the day. They have handlike hind feet that help them grasp the branches of trees. Possums eat mainly blossoms, fruits, insects, and sap. The animals have black, brown, gray, tan, or white fur.

There are about 40 species of possums. The brush-tailed possum lives in Australian cities and raids fruit trees and garbage cans for food. Brush-tailed possums weigh from 3 to 11 pounds (1.4 to 5 kilograms). Other large species of possums, called cuscuses, weigh as much as 8 pounds (3.4 kilograms). The mouse-sized honey possum has a long, tube-shaped mouth and feeds on nectar and pollen. Pygmy possums may weigh as little as 1/4 ounce (8 grams). Several species of possums, called gliders, have large folds of skin between the front and rear legs on each side of the body. When the legs are spread, this skin serves as wings for gliding.

Scientific classification. The brush-tailed possum and cuscuses belong to the family Phalangeridae. The honey possum makes up the family Tarsipedidae. Pygmy possums belong to the family Burramyidae. Most gliders are in the family Petauridae.
Contributor: Michael L. Augee, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer, University of New South Wales.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Opossum, pronounced uh PAHS uhm, is any member of a family of furry mammals that live in the Western Hemisphere. The female opossum carries its young in a pouch on its abdomen. Opossums, kangaroos, and other mammals that give birth to extremely undeveloped young are called marsupials. Opossums are the only marsupials that are native to North America. They live from Ontario in Canada southward into South America.

There are many species of opossums, most of which live in Central and South America. Small, tree-dwelling murine opossums resemble mice. Woolly opossums have thick, soft fur. Another kind of opossum, the yapok, is the only marsupial that is adapted for living in water. Its webbed feet help make it a good swimmer.

The common opossum is the only kind of opossum found in the United States. This species grows about as big as a house cat. It has rough grayish-white hair, a long snout, dark eyes, and big hairless ears. This opossum has a long tail that does not have much hair on it. The animal can hang upside down by wrapping its tail around a tree branch. This opossum has 50 teeth, more than any other North American mammal. Its teeth and claws are sharp. Opossum tracks are easy to recognize because the animal has long, widely separated toes.

Opossums are born in groups of from 5 to 20. At birth, an opossum is only about as big as a kidney bean. The female opossum carries its tiny babies in a pouch on the outer skin of its abdomen for about two months after birth. After leaving the pouch, the young stay near the mother for several more weeks. When they can take care of themselves, the young opossums go off on their own.

Opossums hunt at night. They eat almost any kind of animal or vegetable food. When in danger, opossums sometimes "faint" and appear to be dead.

Scientific classification. Opossums make up the opossum family, Didelphidae. The scientific name for the common opossum is Didelphis marsupialis.

Contributor: Frank B. Golley, Ph.D., Research Professor of Ecology, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia.

#124101 02/29/04 11:07 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I never saw a possum until I came back from WWII, and saw
remains of one road killed lying near edge of road. I knew what it was only from reading Thornton Burgess books.
Then one year I had something pulling up my corn, every
kernel with a couple inch sprout, thrown down and left
because of fungicide coating. At first I thought it might
be redwing blackbirds, but then I saw pawprints. The next
day I saw an old, sick, ugly possum doing it. He must have
been dying of starvation, as they are strictly nocturnal.
I have no idea what he normally ate, but could no longer
obtain. I have read that the meat is extremely greasy.Yuk!

#124102 02/29/04 11:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I never saw a possum until I came back from WWII,

And, according to the encyclopedia quoted above, you didn't then, unless you were in Australasia at the time. USn roadkill would be opossums, not possums.

#124103 02/29/04 11:36 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
>>USn roadkill would be opossums, not possums.<<

Oh, yeah?! Well, what's in all that possum pie we ain't eatin', then? Hm, southpaw?

(good article, thanks)

#124104 02/29/04 11:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Opossum, also commonly known as possum; from the Virginia Algonquian aposoum, 'white beast'

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I heard they go good with sweet potatoes...

formerly known as etaoin...
#124106 03/01/04 12:50 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: your post indicates that American possums
were known before the south Pacific ones.

#124107 03/01/04 01:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
known before

at least to North Americans...

formerly known as etaoin...
#124108 03/01/04 01:05 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear etaoin: Touché.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith