About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
#12339 12/13/00 07:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>grinding halt on a lonely country road not far from Sneem, Co Kerry.

Ah, and a lovely town it is. In fact, when I went through there, it had just been named the prettiest village or town in Ireland, according to an Irish tourist board sign. Right on the outskirts of town I watched two Americans driving on the wrong side of the road smash into a stone bridge, badly mangling a tyre and a wing.

After offering up a prayer that I had not been on the bridge on my bicycle at the time, I offered to assist them. They had rented this little car, an English Ford of some tipe (if tire is spelled tyre, type should be spelled tipe, shouldn't it?) Anyway, I spent 20 minutes pulling at the bottom of the boot to see if there was a hidden compartment, crawling under the car, etc., searching in vain for the spare. Eventually, we found it mounted on top of the engine!!!

And something occurs to me totally off the wall. Has anyone noticed Father Steve about? I don't think we've heard from him in a week or thereabouts.

TEd
#12340 12/13/00 08:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just noticed something else. You may already have realised it. Or it may not happen to you.

When you choose "Show All" instead of a page number, no New tags actually appear ... very disconcerting.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#12341 12/14/00 01:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: the 'new' icon not appearing when you go to Show All: yes, I did notice; and, when you come back from Show All, they haven't gone away on your Index screen. You have to go to the page they're on to make that happen. And when a thread runs to several pages, quite often for me the screen won't change from page one to say, page 8. I get that "cannot be displayed" thing. I've learned to baby it along, though this takes time. It will nearly always go from page one to number four. I've never gotten it to go from say, 4 to 8 or 9. I have to go from 4 to 5, 5 to 6, etc., but it will get there this way.

Speaking of time--I find, to my dismay, that in simply trying to be sure I'm getting to everything, I am missing some of the subtleties. For instance, I just now on the second reading caught tsuwm's wordplay: CK nayed: Rubbish. Absolute piffle, Rhu. The bloody [talking] horse was a bay gelding. And it took a private reminder (thank you) to associate 'the whole chicken' with the other thread on kinkiness. Augh--I love stuff like that; it's one of the best things about this place! P'raps I should seek some of Helen's bitter acorns and eat them.
Lovely story, my friend.

Speaking of frustrations: if anyone can tell me how not to lose a typing-screen window when I change screens, I sure would appreciate it. I have learned that if I stick to the back and forward arrows, I can get back to my typing ok, but if I click the back arrow to say, page three, and then have to click on the number two to go to that page,
I cannot get my typing back. I've learned to hit copy
aforehand if I think this might happen--guess how.

Father Steve is about, on good works, no doubt.
Glad to see xara back!

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Still scrolling through screens and screens of this stuff, only 250 posts to go but I have sent off the accounts to the accountant, so I am allowed to peep at posts (very quickly though)!

On the subject of not losing your typing, it appears to be inevitable with some operations. The easiest thing is to have two have two browser windows open (or copy your message onto the clip board or into a wp file). Sometimes, if I'm using a search engine or two, I have three or four windows open. You can have your new post in one, look for another post in the second screen, google or whatever in the third screen etc etc. If you are using Internet Explorer, all you have to do is open the program again (double click on the icon on your screen or whatever you usually do) and it will open another window.

The next question is - I do this all the time and I was wondering if I appear twice on the "Who's online" screen - perhaps someone could have a look next time they notice that I'm online.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, jmh. You asked: The next question is - I do this all the time and I was wondering if I appear twice on the "Who's online" screen - perhaps someone could have a look next time they notice that I'm online.

The answer is No. Every time you open a new window, you are simply getting another view of your current session. Unless you actually log on twice (which I've never tried to do, hang on ...) — which you can't do.

As far as the board is concerned you are a single user, regardless of the number of browser windows you happen to have open.

Cheers - CK

#12344 12/15/00 05:42 PM
X
X
>>>how not to lose a typing-screen window when I change screens,<<<

if you use netscape and have a three button mouse, try clicking the middle mouse button to open your typing screen. when i click on a link with the middle mouse button it opens another window. i don't know whether this will work for IE, or whether it works in windows.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
The answer is No

Thanks Calv - it is as I expected!

#12346 12/18/00 01:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I dredged this up from the wwftd archives:

the worthless word for the day is: walla-walla

an unintelligible sound made by many people talking at once [from a Hindi word]

In the theater, a walla-walla scene is one where extras pretend to be talking in the background -- when they say "walla-walla" it looks like they are actually talking.

...perhaps shanks can confirm this one.

#12347 12/18/00 01:55 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hmmmm, I seem to recall someone in a previous thread saying that the extras usually said Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubard.

#12348 12/18/00 02:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Do you think "walla" is related to "wallah"? While I haven't a Hindi dictionary, wallah is a parsee(?) term for 'by occupation'. Hence the punkah-wallah waves the fan back and forth, the tea-wallah makes and pours tea.

Could be well off-beam. Our Australian colleagues may also like to confirm or deny my impression that walla-walla is actually an aboriginal word for something. In fact, isn't there a town with that name?

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith