Page 1 of 2 1 2
#123040 02/16/04 10:49 PM
sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Or there is something missing from this passage:
-------------------------------------------------
One of the drawbacks of the CGI version of PHP is its inability to use PHP-based authentication. Besides the overall performance hit, this would be the other glaring drawback. There's nothing, however, stopping you from using your normal Web server-based authentication; they're mutually exclusive.
------------------------------------------------

EDIT Aksherly, all I was thinking was that mebbe they meant to srtick a "not" in front of "mutually exclusive."

#123041 02/16/04 11:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you found the translation to this!

Equy ulaf I an over ice

Aof mi I of tica xim ekovo fer uvuje falu
El omoxef of a uzuru nex of iw isi doguv ike maleca I wa. Ulofon the a of uzesas I oh ijahu cokeha I bipi lebiru a par ayokib the ukuse ve. Uvojem ujoraq ulu lehih I the it opex on ajis un. Ijifa qu gopequ waqu a of jo zuke culob ize nowu nihosi a hekiza somec egoy. Obel a us okuru the muco fup ilud oboji the I texem a arubez axica tuviki a pizu. Ivulo I zareva of hey ip the eberu dog I uleric opiw ugege zibu fas im ukeyib ew eru. Evulani jo ruye cusema the I fuzumi qu the qur abemiw azer a oqu koroz. Il ij ibuf iwi wopa jo jij icivem ubupo taq ulegol iquv ifa. Enefi zequf esa a xilu I su tipi a xe dijub ujo piro gihul I onozo the fodu gah uviw. Ite zigacu pu xavu cu a muredu nite xubih a eguyih.

formerly known as etaoin...
#123042 02/16/04 11:05 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's geek-speek for "we screwed up". Take an aspirin and lie down. The symptoms will pass soon, and the passage you quoted will seem that much better. If no more logical ...

#123043 02/16/04 11:24 PM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
It won't work anyway, it's a computer. Doesn't matter what the documentation says.

#123044 02/17/04 02:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or there is something missing from this passage:
-------------------------------------------------
One of the drawbacks of the CGI version of PHP is its inability to use PHP-based authentication. Besides the overall performance hit, this would be the other glaring drawback. There's nothing, however, stopping you from using your normal Web server-based authentication; they're mutually exclusive.

Umm, she said carefully, I don't think there is. Given that I understand nothing about CGI and PHP, don't hold me to this, but: I think it's saying that CGI can't use PHP authorization, and therefore if you are required to get PHP authorization, then CGI will be no good for you. However, if your normal Web server-based authentication is acceptable, then CGI should/would be able to obtain this, since, if they are mutually exclusive, whatever it is about PHP that's preventing the authorization doesn't hold true for your regular server.

Woops--ignorance showing again. Should have put authentication, not authorization.

#123045 02/17/04 02:49 AM
sjmaxq Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Jackie. I think I was able to follow that, and if I did so, what you said both made sense, and validated the absence of the "not" I was expecting. To quote one of the clearest thinkers I know, you are "one of the least benightedly unintelligent life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting."

#123046 02/17/04 04:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"That young girl is one of the least benightedly unintelligent organic life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting."

~ Marvin, the depressed android, concerning Tricia Maximillian (Trillian) in Douglas Adams', Life, The Universe, And Everything, the third book in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

When I saw all five volumes on my wife's bookshelf, while we were first dating, I knew that I had found the right woman with whom to share life.

#123047 02/17/04 04:36 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
What is a performance hit? I would have thought it was a good thing, but the context seems to imply otherwise.

"There's nothing, however, stopping you from using your normal Web server-based authentication; they're mutually exclusive."

In my present state of ignorance I would take this to mean that because the CGI version does not allow use of PHP authentication, it is possible to use the Web-server based authentication. If the CGI version did allow use of PHP authentication, one would run into serious problems if one tried to use the Web-server based authenticaion.

Bingley

Bingley
#123048 02/17/04 06:02 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
From my favourite PHP website:

Prerequisites

The $PHP_AUTH_USER, $PHP_AUTH_PW and $PHP_AUTH_TYPE global variables are only available when PHP is installed as a module. If you're using the CGI version of PHP, you will be limited to Web server-based authentication or other custom types of authentication (such as using HTML forms) to match passwords in a database.

In other words, the CGI version of PHP doesn't allow PHP authentication which, given the limitations of CGI, makes some kind of weird sense!

#123049 02/17/04 06:07 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
You underestimate the depths of my ignorance. I have no idea what CGI or PHP might be. I have a vague idea PHP is some sort of drug -- popularly known as angel dust? -- but that doesn't seem to fit the context.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 400 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith