About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#123023 02/16/04 09:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I doubt if anyone would want to see you stop posting, Bill. And that most definitely includes sjmax. Some of your posts do attract replies, and that is well and good and what the Board is for.

I think what sjmax was alluding to was you posting words or lists of words in the popular fora above the fold (i.e. Q&A, I&A, Miscellany etc.). I sometimes cruise through your lists below the fold myself and make comments, although I no longer have the time I used to to do this.

Obviously, if you wish to get comments/information about a particular word from other members, then Q&A is the place to post, but just posting a word there without an underlying question is confusing to new people and has attracted some adverse comment from some of the regulars.

I reiterate, NO ONE WANTS YOU TO STOP POSTING YOUR LISTS. It's just a matter of where.

#123024 02/16/04 10:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just posted a new thread and deleted it It has probably incremented the post count to this forum but no more is it there.

I never met an "increment" which was not a noun (except when it was masquerading as an adverb or an adjective by adding -al or -ly). I can imagine no reason why it ought not become a verb; I just never met it in those clothes.

#123025 02/16/04 10:25 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Father Steve: I'll increment that sentiment by an
infinitesimal.

#123026 02/17/04 04:25 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
My own feeling (though not a strong one) is that for the most part the word lists should stay below the fold, not because I don't appreciate them -- I do and respond when they spark off something in my mind and no-one else has got in first.

Weekly Themes seems the obvious place to discuss each day's word, and I hope Dr. Bill will keep posting his thoughts on each day's word or message from our leader there.

Although AWAD and Schools is little used, the discussions there have been interesting and it would be unfortunate for them to be pushed back where they might not be noticed because of the word lists. On the other hand the word lists are equally deserving of more attention and I would urge members who rarely venture below the fold to do so more often.

Bingley

Bingley
#123027 02/17/04 02:10 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
My sentiments march exactly in step with Bingley's. In particular I enjoy Dr Bill's brief extracts containing the word of interest as these quite often remind me of books I have or should have read, prompting me to find and read them.

#123028 02/17/04 02:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as you know Dr Bill, i regularly go 'below the fold' to check on new post there, and while i only comment on about 1 word in ten, i do look at most of them.

i think we need to look at Max's concerns. i get on line with a local call ($0.12 or so) and local calls only cost me a connection fee-- 1 minute or 1 hour, $0.12 cents is all i pay.

the are many 'plans' like this in US.

other countries have different telephone systems.
DSL is widely avail here... and not outragously expensive. not so else where.

for many, connecting to the internet is an expense. One they budget for. i don't know the ins and outs of Max's phone/internet connect system. but i think he speaks for everyone who doesn't have the same ease connecting as we do and take for granted in US.

You paraphrased him, and took umbrerage with him-- i have found in my dealing with Max he is always a gentleman. Not a wishy-washy fop, but a principled man, who acts with concern for others feeling, but one who will take a stand for what he thinks is right.

if he hurt your, it was inadvertant.

It's not so hard to slide below the fold...

and we can always post an announcement to an interesting discussion that might be missed by those who don't often go below the fold-- that gives us the best of both world.

List of words that don't generate much attention stay below the fold, any that do spark lively discussions can be announced. (with a link!)

anyone who is concerned about each minute (that they pay for, dearly!) can avoid posts they don't want to see.. but they still won't miss out on interesting discussions.

this is perhaps not the answer you hoped for.. (you offered only 2 choices, i am presenting a third!) but i think you both have wonderful things to offer this board, and i want both of you to be happy here!

#123029 02/17/04 03:07 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: I think you are the fourth member to feel that
I should not have posted above the fold. But nobody has
explained how using AWAD in Schools deprives anybody, since
there has been so little use of it.
But since I can easily find space enough below the fold,
it won't deprive me to avoid use of AWAD in Schools.
Again though, nobody has explained how my using it
deprived anyone else.

#123030 02/17/04 03:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My only concern would be that your style of single posts for single words has the effect of pushing other threads to page two where they get ignored.

that was from one of Faldage's early replies, and I took it's meaning as it applied to AWAD in Schools.

I think folks are just worried that that could happen to other posts above...

I, for one, read all posts, whether they are above or below, so it's not much of a nevermind to me...

they really ought to make you your own category, Bill!!

formerly known as etaoin...
#123031 02/17/04 04:04 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear etaoin: My posts on AWAD in Schools is not going to
affect anybody else's posts, nobody else posts there.
But I cheerfully promise to post there no longer.

#123032 02/17/04 04:17 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Plebiscite call on another topic, namely, the extent to which private messages are inviolate.
I have had one member sent me 3 PMs clearly intended to
hurt, hitting below the belt. Another member has done so
more than twice. That same person was able to make two
ladies cry for several days.
I have had several members tell me about their health
problems. That information I would never reveal.
I have had members tell me things that would embarrass them if repeated. That too I would never repeat.
I see no reason for the member who prompted this discussion to object to my revealing his objection, since
I counted on his prestige to encourage others to agree with
him if they shared his views.
Let's see if we can get a concensus about the intended
hurtful posts. Do any members feel that they may not be
revealed? Must cowardly hurtfulness be privileged?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith