Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#121457 01/28/04 12:24 AM
H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
The English cousin system takes a little getting used to, but is quite straightforward: first cousins share a pair of grandparents, second cousins share great-grandparents and so on. Then, your first cousin's child is your first cousin once removed, his/her grandchild is first cousin twice removed, etc., the number of removals being the number of generations that separate you. The combination of the two numbers pinpoints a location on the family tree like a knight's move: across and then down.

Irish is quite different:
col ceathrar (4) -> first cousin
col cúigir (5) -> first cousin once removed
col seisir (6) -> second cousin
col seachtair (7) -> second cousin once removed
col ochtair (8) -> third cousin

Now, "col" means "taboo", "incest", "prohibition", "repugnance", "impediment to marriage". And "ceathrar", "cúigear", "seisear", "seachtar" and "ochtar" mean 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 (in the form used for counting people).

So literally, in Irish, your first cousin is your "incest to the fourth degree", your second cousin "to the sixth degree" and so on. (Needless to say, we don't think of this when we use the words!)

It makes a kind of logical sense, except for being so very explicit and legalistic, and for the fact that cousin marriage is not really a taboo in Ireland, even for first cousins, let alone third! I wonder if the pattern continues for fourth and subsequent cousins?

#121458 01/28/04 01:19 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in the form used for counting people

All right! Fess up. How many forms are there for counting things? Is this another kind of gender?

#121459 01/28/04 04:26 PM
F
addict
addict
F
Great post, Hibernicus! Your analogy to a knight's move has made me understand the nomenclature for the first time after struggling with it several times over the years!

It's fascinating that the "taboo" sense remains in the language even though it is absent from the culture, but I wonder what the first three "degrees of taboo" are. Siblings and parents/children would be 1 and 2, I assume, but what's #3? Grandparents?

#121460 01/28/04 05:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
is there something about the irish, that we know this (first cousin, second cousins and removed ..)?

i learned these relationships as a child (but then, one of my father's first cousins was grandmother to kids my age--they were my second cousins, once removed, i was a first cousin once removed to their grandmother)

thanks though for the names..

(curiosly, this is something my parent knew in gaelic, (but they were not/are not speakers, and knew only a very little that they had learned in school--which meant mostly prayers and curse words--though when we encounted a word, my mother knew the phonics, and remembered some of the grammer) since they had to think, and translate the relationships into english)

#121461 01/28/04 10:54 PM
H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
How many forms are there for counting things?

Exactly two, you'll be glad to hear, one for people, viz.:
duine
beirt
triúr
ceathrar
cúigear
seisear
seachtar
ochtar
naonúr
deichniúr;

and one for everything else:
aon

trí
ceathar
cúig

seacht
ocht
naoi
deich

You can see that from 3 up, the two forms are related.

#121462 01/28/04 11:04 PM
H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
I wonder what the first three "degrees of taboo" are

Let's see if we can figure it out!

The Irish system has degree n for ((n-2)/2)th cousin (for even values of n) and ((n-3)/2)th cousin once removed (for odd values of n).

The English system has nth cousin for latest common ancestor of (n+1) generations ago.

So, Irish *col beirt (2) would be zeroth cousin, which would mean parents as common ancestors, therefore it would be your siblings.
*Col triúr (3) would be zeroth cousin once removed, i.e., your siblings children, namely nephews/nieces.
*Col duine (1) is a slightly tricky one - your (minus one)th cousin once removed, which works out as your own children.

#121463 01/28/04 11:20 PM
H
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
H
is there something about the irish, that we know this (first cousin, second cousins and removed ..)?

I really do think so. In the case of my family, I know many of my quite distant relatives (third cousins, 2C2R, 2C1R) which would be unusual in the US. In the US people are more mobile, often moving far from their parents' home on reaching adulthood, and losing contact with all but their immediate family. Here, at a family celebration or a funeral, if the "focus" of the event is an elderly person, and 1st cousins are represented in that generation, the younger generation can be up to third (or greater) cousins.

#121464 01/28/04 11:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Here, at a family celebration or a funeral, if the "focus" of the event is an elderly person, and 1st cousins are represented in that generation, the younger generation can be up to third (or greater) cousins.

This situation is routine here in Zild, among Maaori and Pacific Islanders, but they all tend to use just "cousin" for any relation not an ancestor, sibling, uncle or aunt. Great-uncles etc., are most likely to be called "cousins", and the concept of degrees of cousinship seems alien to them. More than that, they don't care about such intricacies. "If you're kin, you're a cuz", and that's all that matters.

#121465 01/29/04 12:20 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I know quite a few of my cousins (1C, 1C1R, 2C, 2C1R). Unless somebody asks me for the exact relationship, I tend to call them all cousins. Since not many people know the system for the rules of consanguinity, I usually describe somebody by a circumlocution like my father's cousin's son or some such. (There's a Danish branch to my family, and their terms depend on whether the cousin is female or male: kusine, fætter.)

Kinship terms are much studied in anthropology and linguistics. The interesting thing about IE kinship terms is that we cannot reconstruct a term for the proto-language (PIE) for cousin. All the daughter languages take a different approach.

I also looked into Irish col 'taboo, prohibition' which is interesting in its own right. Not an agreed upon etymology for the word. Vendryes suggests in his Old Irish etymological dictionary that it may be congate with Old Norse skyldr 'necessary, bounden'. There's also no reconstructed root for 'taboo' in PIE (which makes sense), though Cal Watkins has put one forward in the Umbrian sopa from the Iguvine Tables. A really cool thread, Hib, thanks for starting it.

#121466 01/29/04 12:26 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Not all languages use the same set of numbers for all objects, e.g., Japanese has different numbers to use with people versus objects (like Irish). They also have something called quantifiers that are used with numbers, sort of like how we say in English, two pieces of paper. In Japanese, you say something like five round-things-quantifier balls, two human-quantifier people, etc. Ain't language grand?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith