#120818 01/25/04 11:00 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Consuelo: I think you have hit it. O.Henry would have
read everything Poe wrote. So Una could be a Wide Area Girl.

#120819 01/25/04 11:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#120820 01/27/04 02:14 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You wanna take this one?

#120821 01/27/04 11:45 PM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
the tasks of Hercules, Joan
of Arc, Una, Job, and Little-Red-Riding-Hood."

Who can tell us who "Una" was ?

Una is of course the goddess of coal - known to the Romans as "Anthracite", she has seen fit to grace mortal man and woman with a Board whereon she communes with the faithful:
http://unaboard.coalgoddess.net/

(For the uninitiated: although it is currently and temporarily known as "Cypress Creek" for reasons best known to Una, it is normally called the Unaboard, and is another favoured haunt of Sparteye and me).

#120822 01/28/04 12:08 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I was wondering of the connection between anthrax and hard coal: Latin anthrax 'carbuncle' from Greek anthrax 'charcoal' yields anthrakitis 'a kind of coal; a gem'.

#120823 01/28/04 03:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
take our word for its, an wordy newsletter, covered anthrax/anthracite connection back when anthrax was in the news, and we had a side discussion here, too...
http://www.takeourword.com/current/page1.html
the link is to the current issue, you'll have to search for anthrax.

my grandparents heated their council house with anthracite coal, and i still associate the scent of a coal fire with good things..(i was(am) naturally an early riser, (in a family of slug-a-beds) and the summer we visited my grandparents, I alone was permitted to go to the coal shed and fill the scuttle with coals. (when my mother learned that i thought this a privledge, she sneered... i suspect that she was right, and if the 'privledge' lasted more than a few months, i would have seen it as chore.)

but early each morning, i was up and dressed, and helped my poppa by filling the scuttle with coals, and laying a fire, (and lighting a match and lighting the fire!) what a privledge! Nana had banned all of children from the coal shed, and she was more frightening in her ire than my mother, but while she quitely snored, my grandfather urged me to disobey her.(how could i not love him!)

#120824 01/28/04 02:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Interesting story, of troy! Great to collude with a grandparent!

In reply to:

anthrakitis 'a kind of coal; a gem'

I can imagine this 'gem'--solid, highly polished, valuable. Would such coal be similar in appearance to that beautiful black volcanic rock?

#120825 01/28/04 04:06 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
And "anthracosis" is "coal miner's lung" one of the many
forms of pneumoconiosis.

#120826 01/28/04 05:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can imagine this 'gem'--solid, highly polished, valuable. Would such coal be similar in appearance to that beautiful black volcanic rock?

no, coal is much shiner than obsidian.. there is a diner just off the highway in scanton (PA) that has beautiful object carved from lumps of anthracite coal.

i remember being excited when the coal truck came round to our apartment building-- the big truck would back up onto the sidewalk, and a ton of coal would go down the shute to the coal bin in the building basement.

we kids would reach out and try to grab lumps. the building used smallish lumps -- (they made 'black chalk' for white concrete walks) the coal would glitter in the sunlight. Coal is very pretty.

(spoken like a person who has never had to mine coal, or shovel coal or shovel coal ashes).

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks again, of troy, for the explanation there.

Actually, when you think about it, it does make sense that something as hard as anthracite would/could glitter very much since diamonds do glitter with unmatched refulgence. Which makes me wonder, is the glittering of the diamond unmatched? And what would be the term to describe 'glittering'? We have the mohs scale and the Richter scale and all other kinds of scales, but do we have a glittering scale?

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I think it likely crystalline structure is basis
or reflectiveness. I have read that diamonds are formed
deep in volcanoes at tremendous temperature and pressure.
Industrial diamonds are now made synthetically, but I don't know if the synthetic ones can yet compete pricewise.

And remember, the cars of today run ten times as far as the
cars of the thirties, because the parts can now be machined
to tolerances not possible in the thirties, using diamond abrasives.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

using diamond abrasives.

Well, what do diamond abrasives have to do with it? I know diamonds are of the hardest of substances and can make a scratch on nearly anything, but what would this trait have to do with manufacturing cars?

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
With the best machine tools that could be made in the early thirties, pistons in cylinders, for example fitted poorly enough that the car had to be "broken in", meaning rough places on both surfaces had to wear down the high spots.
You weren't supposed to drive over thirty miles an hour until you had driven 500 miles, and oil including filter had to be changed at 1,000 miles. My father always traded his car in at 35K miles. I'll bet the buyer didn't get more
than 20K, and had lots of little problems.

#120831 01/28/04 11:54 PM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Coal is very pretty.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, when most of us encounter coal the pieces are worn and dusty, and make a mess of anything they touch. But if you split a lump of coal the fracture surface will be smooth and shiny, and it's hard enough that it does not leave dust on the fingertip when rubbed. I have a very attractive piece of Colombian coal on my desk at work, and two pieces here at home that I "extracted" myself from a disused coal mine in Spitzbergen!

"Anthrax" (coal) and "anthros" (a flower) look very similar, but I don't know if there's any connection.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Industrial diamonds are now made synthetically, but I don't know if the synthetic ones can yet compete pricewise.

They certainly can compete pricewise. It is on quality that they may fall short (although the gap is not large).

The biggest threat to the price of diamonds is not the improvement in synthetic ones, but the sheer abundance of natural ones. deBeers has been fighting a rearguard action for years, maintaining an artificial scarcity by buying up most of the world's diamond prduction every year. But their position is increasingly unsustainable.

#120833 01/29/04 12:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i taken tour tours of coal mines (in Pennsylvania) and i too have lumps of coal (among my other rocks).

In the slag heaps left by by mines (shale) i've gone fossil hunting.. mostly leaves and ferns.. the biggest is about 2 and half inches (3 c. or so)

i've also gone up to the dolimite cliffs in Herckser NY to collect Herchser 'diamonds' (that wrong.. is Her... there is a whole county in NY with the name.. sorry but i am having a long senior moment)

in anycase the diamonds are actually free, double ended, quartz crystals that are not bound into a matrix. (the way they are in geodes)

PS--what about the name coleen...(is it a real irish name or a pet name that has come to be a name)

i have been told its a pet name, using col as in collier/ with een (a common irish diminutive) .. what do you know about it hibernicus?

#120834 01/29/04 01:01 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
"Anthrax" (coal) and "anthros" (a flower) look very similar, but I don't know if there's any connection.

It's anthos for flower, Hib., as in anthology (whose Latin calque is florilegium). According to Pokorny, it's from the PIE root *andh- 'to stand out, jut out; to flower, bloom'. You might have been thinking of Greek antheros 'blooming' which is from the same root, which also gives Middle Irish ainder, aindir 'young woman', Welsh anner 'young cow', Old Welsh enderic 'vitulus, veal', Welsh enderig 'bull, ox, bullock', Breton ounner 'young cow'. Cool, but supposedly not related to anthraks.

#120835 01/29/04 01:11 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
what about the name coleen

It's from the Irish word for girl: cailín, diminutive of caile 'girl'. You're right, the -ín is a dim. suffix, related to the -en in -chen, the -ein in -lein, and the -in- in zucchini literally 'little sweet things'. The col in collier is from the English coal.

#120836 01/29/04 01:41 AM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
what do you know about it hibernicus?
Less than jheem, as it turns out! Cailín is the Irish word for "girl", and as such is not in use as a personal name in Ireland. I did not know, however, the original uninflected form "caile" that jheem mentions.

As it happens, both "caile" and "cailín" are masculine nouns, showing (even better than German "Mädchen", which is neuter) the lack of correspondence between grammatical gender and sex.

#120837 01/29/04 02:01 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
According to Vendryes, Old Irish caile has a pejorative connotation: 'serving girl, wench'. Ultimate etymology unknown. Darn!

#120838 01/29/04 02:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cailín is the Irish word for "girl", and as such is not in use as a personal name in Ireland.

No of course not, to find girls with irish names, you have to come to america! the irish tend to name their daughters after saints, and many 'continental names' were popular(when my cousins, just a few years younger than me, were being born. so i have no irish born cousins named Coleen, Shannon, or Erin, or Caitlin, (only american born ones) -my irish cousins (one Patricia) are Antonia, and Maria, and Grace, 'ethnicly neutral' names like Geraldine, Ann,
there are some brian's and michaels among the boys, but also Bernard, and Damian.

my sister is Deirdre, but that name has not reached national popularity here in US-but Soibhain has!(and its often spelt Shavawn)
one cousin goes by the name Doreen, but its a nickname, not her given name-- and besides, she lives here.
(my son considered Una (with a varient spelling) as name, but instead, my granddaughter is Beatrice)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith