Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#117972 12/20/03 04:19 PM
G
addict
addict
G
re: there should be a word which describes relentless intermittent persistence ... like a viral infection which succumbs to a new vaccine but mutates and comes roaring back years later, as virulent as ever.

How about "chronic" or "recidivistic"?

chron·ic [adj.] American Heritage Dictionary:

Of long duration; continuing: chronic money problems.

Lasting for a long period of time or marked by frequent recurrence, as certain diseases: chronic colitis.

re·cid·i·vate [intr.v.] American Heritage Dictionary:

To return to a previous pattern of behavior, especially to return to criminal habits.

BTW there is a latin phrase which captures this sense of relentless returning: animus revertendi

It describes an animal, drawn from the wild, which "returns" relentlessly to the place where a human has provided a home [thru care or feeding].

In all other respects, the animal is the same as its brethern in the wild. It is distinguished only by this "animus" of returning, which allows the human to which it returns to claim ownership.

#117973 12/20/03 04:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In the first few (or so) minutes of the movie "Bugsy" http://www.culturalianet.com/art/ver.php?art=2032 he verbaly announces his proposed deal to cut himself in on another gangster's territory. The other gangster says he's "disinterested". Bugsy's reply is (paraphrasing) "'Disinterested' means ignoring or not caring whereas 'uninterested' means an active refusal".

Anyone else know of this distinction, or does this evoke feelings of untinction?

grapho - seek thine PM system.

#117974 12/20/03 04:59 PM
G
addict
addict
G
Anyone else know of this distinction, or does this evoke feelings of unticntion?

Interesting study you have suggested, Musick.

The American Heritage Dictionary definition of "uninterested" concludes with this reference to a "Usage Note" under the definition of "disinterested":

Usage Note: In traditional usage, disinterested can only mean “having no stake in an outcome,” as in Since the judge stands to profit from the sale of the company, she cannot be considered a disinterested party in the dispute. But despite critical disapproval, disinterested has come to be widely used by many educated writers to mean “uninterested” or “having lost interest,” as in 'Since she discovered skiing, she is disinterested in her schoolwork.' Oddly enough, “not interested” is the oldest sense of the word, going back to the 17th century. This sense became outmoded in the 18th century but underwent a revival in the first quarter of the early 20th. Despite its resuscitation, this usage is widely considered an error. In a 1988 survey, 89 percent of the Usage Panel rejected the sentence His unwillingness to give five minutes of his time proves that he is disinterested in finding a solution to the problem. This is not a significantly different proportion from the 93 percent who disapproved of the same usage in 1980.

re: does this evoke feelings of unticntion?

No, it evokes feelings of discombobulation.

#117975 12/20/03 05:13 PM
G
addict
addict
G
does this evoke feelings of untinction? [nc]

Now I get it, Musick. I was a little slow on the up-take.

Looks like I have the untinction of being unwitting.

#117976 12/21/03 05:40 PM
M
addict
addict
M
AnnaS, I am wondering...If we consider the usage of these adjectives as regards people, personalities or behaviour, do you think, we subconsciously use them with positive/negative connotations? Relentless for e.g., is used positively, as in, 'relentless determination' or 'relentless effort', 'relentless courage' whereas, an unrelenting stance for e.g., connotes a more negative rigid/unbending attitude.

#117977 12/21/03 05:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maahey, I think you're right. I was relentless :-) in searching out different sources of definitions of this word, and a couple used the word grim in connection with it. As part of the def., I mean, not just in an ex. sentence. And I disagreed with that.

#117978 12/21/03 08:07 PM
G
addict
addict
G
do you think we subconsciously use them with positive/negative connotations?

You may have something there, Maahey.

An attack on an adversary could be relentless, or it could be unrelenting, but, if I was on the receiving end, I think I would prefer the former.

A relentless enemy might be magnanimous in victory.

An unrelenting one might be ravenous with rage.

#117979 12/22/03 08:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you all for y'all's input. I'm still turning all these takes over in my mind.

This came to me in an odd way, I guess: we had three snowstorms in the previous two weeks, and I thought, "the snow is relentless." Then I thought, "the snow is unrelenting." I stuck with the latter even though (or maybe, because) it seems I'm anthropormorphizing the snow -- like it's doing what it's doing just to give *me a hard time!

Can a natural event be unrelenting?

#117980 12/22/03 09:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with maahey, if only on what I've heard most often, so...

Can a natural event be unrelenting?

I'm thinkin' it's us conscious beings that bring attitude, not Mom nature. She's just washing our *mouths out with a little frozen acid rain.

#117981 12/23/03 12:16 AM
G
addict
addict
G
"the snow is unrelenting"

American Heritage Dictionary recognizes your usage, AnnaS.

2. Not diminishing in intensity, pace, or effort:
an unrelenting ice storm.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith